Best $20....

And I would think a tuner pedal or a Fractal tuning mode is the right approach in a dark and noisy environment rather than a restring tool (or ears), But it's good practice to learn to quickly tune your guitar during a gig when you hear let's say that the G string is flat rather than stopping mid-stream and tuning your guitar with an electronic tuner (unless you don't need to play at some part of the show). And then fix the tuning later. And yes, long audible guitar tuning during a show does not sound good.

So how comes everybody hated the Gibson robo tuners ?
Did you ever try them? Half the time they didn't work right. Or at least all the ones I tried. and it was very clunky having all that extra garbage going on on the back of the head stock.
I much prefer an evertune set up, then tuning isn't even a thought. Set it, beat the hell out of the guitar, and still in tune.

Speaking about stringwinders, or backup guitars, I worked at a festival this weekend and one of the guitarists broke a string and had to go backstage to restring his guitar. He had neither a backup guitar nor a stringwinder. And he's an internationally touring musician! He was lucky that I was able to help him out because the stress was causing him tunnelvision or something. He was shedding spare strings all over the place like a dog shedding hair, he couldn't get the broken ball ending out of his tremolo and the way he tried to fasten the new string to the tuner looked worse then your first string change job.

I think next time I will bring my stringwinder along, together with a clip on tuner. Better to have it and not need then to need it and not have it. Wasn't the first time this happened. And who knows, it might even get me a job as a guitar tech? ;)

Speaking about stringwinders, or backup guitars, I worked at a festival this weekend and one of the guitarists broke a string and had to go backstage to restring his guitar. He had neither a backup guitar nor a stringwinder. And he's an internationally touring musician! He was lucky that I was able to help him out because the stress was causing him tunnelvision or something. He was shedding spare strings all over the place like a dog shedding hair, he couldn't get the broken ball ending out of his tremolo and the way he tried to fasten the new string to the tuner looked worse then your first string change job.

I think next time I will bring my stringwinder along, together with a clip on tuner. Better to have it and not need then to need it and not have it. Wasn't the first time this happened. And who knows, it might even get me a job as a guitar tech? ;)

A buddy of mine saw Greg Howe live once in Cincy, and he had one guitar with him. Of course he broke a string, and took almost 30 minutes to change.

Anyone ever see that video of Satchel re-seating a string in his floyd while talking to the audience? total pro stuff.

Talking to Oz Noy he only travels with guitars (or one guitar) that's easy to change the strings if needed. I.e. mostly Strats. He has an EBMM AXE that he likes a lot but it has a Floyd Rose bridge.

Back
Top Bottom