Benson sound

gregsmithguitar

Please let me know the exact FM3 settings for a good straight ahead jazz gig George Benson sound.
Also, a good setting for my Godin Multiac nylon string for solo guitar gigs-Thanks!

IIRC, Benson used a Fender Hot Rod style combo with 1x12 speaker. I do know that Choptones has their "Naked Fender" pack of IRs that will replicate the speaker, not sure it's available for FM3. I'd guess that a 40W Fender amp from the library would be about what you'd need.

I might personally select the #18 6G12 Fender Concert, the #126 FAS Hot Rod, the #207 Princeton Reverb, or #282 Vibrato Verb AA for my amp.

To find what additional amps or effects you might need, try this link:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Factory_presets#Axe-Fx_III_and_FM3

I'd use the East Wes EJ/Wes Montgomery effect preset.

I always thought he used a Roland. I remenber reading an article describing how he used it's chorus. Unless I'm thinking about some other Jazz guy.

I thought lots of old school jazz folks used Polytone amps, though I have no specific info about GB. They're just super clean, portable. Some have a tweeter maybe?

In the Axe, I bet any pretty clean amp would do fine, JC120, Fender, etc.

Thanks guys! Very helpful answers, I'll dig into it.
Any ideas on a clean sound for my Godin Multiac nylon string- mainly for solo gigs where I do some classical pieces, some standards, Bossa Nova, etc.
Also, any ideas for a good Pat Matheny sound?

He has a signature Fender HotRod amp now. I'd go with something like that for the model. I don't know his settings but I'd start out flat and adjust. I doubt his mids go past 12 o'clock; go from there. So much goes into that tone.

Out of curiosity, anyone have the URL of recent videos of him doing the tones you're after?

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Very helpful answers, I'll dig into it.
Any ideas on a clean sound for my Godin Multiac nylon string- mainly for solo gigs where I do some classical pieces, some standards, Bossa Nova, etc.
Also, any ideas for a good Pat Matheny sound?
I don't have an FM3 but I've got an Ultra, II, and AX8. For the Godin I've used the Tube Pre if I want some extra gain and/or eq. I've also used it without an amp block. In either case, no Cab block is needed unless you want to use an IR that simulates an acoustic body.

I always thought he used a Roland. I remenber reading an article describing how he used it's chorus. Unless I'm thinking about some other Jazz guy.
Possibly, all I know was that Benson had a sig Fender model amp (80W?) that was patterned after a Hot Rod 1x12 combo.
Actually, you're both right. Benson uses a Fender and a Roland together in stereo.
How about that!
He has a signature Fender HotRod amp now. I'd go with something like that for the model. I don't know his settings but I'd start out flat and adjust. I doubt his mids go past 12 o'clock; go from there. So much goes into that tone.
Concur. A comparable 1x12 Fender combo would be the ticket.

I don't have an FM3 but I've got an Ultra, II, and AX8. For the Godin I've used the Tube Pre if I want some extra gain and/or eq. I've also used it without an amp block. In either case, no Cab block is needed unless you want to use an IR that simulates an acoustic body.
Thanks! Very helpful and useful data!

Back
Top Bottom