Creative and innovative with the III? Share here

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
The III offers so much possibilities, with its Channels, Multiplexer, I/O pairs, additional effect instances, expanded Amp and Cab blocks, Axe-Edit III, upcoming FCs, et cetera.

It boosts creativity and ideas.

So post your innovatieve findings and epiphanies in the thread, to share them with the community and get feedback.

P.S. This is not a wishlist thread.

Last edited:
I'll kick off myself with this "kitchen sink" preset.

Schermafbeelding 2018-06-13 om 13.47.39.png

1. Why everything crowded to the left, with two pairs of Send/Return?

This lets me edit everything on the hardware, in zoomed view, without having to scroll to the right. My eyesight ain't what it used to be...

2. Why the "disconnected" Out 3 / In 3 blocks?

This is how I insert an outboard EHX C9 pedal (100% wet) in the signal chain. The blocks do not have to be connected to each other.

3. Why the four vertical blocks followed by the M-Plex (MUX)?

The 1st block (Volume) enables automatic volume swells (no pedal) when engaged. Blocks 2, 3 and 4 (Wah, Whammy, Volume) are being controlled with my single expression pedal. Through the four channels of the MUX block I can select which of the four effects is active.

Why not use two channels in a single Volume block (instead of two Volume blocks) to allow automatic swells as well as Volume pedal control? That's because a single parameter in a block can be controlled by one controller only, regardless of channels. So I can't assign Envelope as well as an External Controller (pedal) to the same Volume parameter in the Volume block.

4. Why Out 2 after the Cab block, and not Out 1?

Output 1 on the Axe-Fx III also has 1/4" jacks, while Output 2 doesn't. Using Output 1 enables easy connecting to my power amplifier's 1/4" input. I use Output 2 XLRs for FOH and FRFR.

5. How much CPU does this preset use?

71%.

Last edited:
Excellent idea this thread. I hope to learn more about the MUX block here, but Ive been having fun with routing using most or all of the holes in back....(not in front of rig now, but Multilple 4CM and numerous digital and analog rigs can be achieved easily and simultaneously, using LB2 and/or UAD OX and other modelers...truly Frankensteinian and most enjoyable .

1. P.S. Why not use two channels in a single Volume block (instead of two Volume blocks) to allow automatic swells as well as Volume pedal control? That's because a single parameter in a block can be controlled by one controller only, regardless of channels. So I can't assign Envelope as well as an External Controller (pedal) to the same Volume parameter in the Volume block.

View attachment 47453

Is this still true after newest modifier update? I thought now you can assign different modifiers in different chanels.

Another one:

Controllers now have 4 channels too. This removes an obstacle that has existed in all previous hardware generations: a single envelope follower.

Now we can have 4 different auto-wahs (Filter + Envelope) in a single preset, because we can have 4 differently configured envelope followers.

Now we can have an auto-swell effect (Volume + Envelope) and an auto-wah (Filter + Envelope) in a single preset, with differently set envelopes.

Now we can switch between sequencer patterns (ad hoc, from scene to scene, etc.).

Etc.

I have to admit that my patches are simpler than ever with the III. I had big plans and dreams for all this crazy stuff I could do, but just the basic amp and reverb sound so darn good as is I often don’t know what else to add lol

I am working on tying to achieve a “proper” vibratone rotary though, which had a crossover only sending the mids to the rotating part, with rest of the signal going back to the amp driving it.

I think I can sent up a cross over or dual filter layout, with a dedicated cab block, to hopefully really achieve that sound, which really isn’t anything like a Leslie

At least I know the Ax III has the power to run the required blocks and routings

The III offers so much possibilities, with its Channels, Multiplexer, I/O pairs, additional effect instances, expanded Amp and Cab blocks, Axe-Edit III, upcoming FCs, et cetera.

It boosts creativity and ideas.

So post your innovatieve findings and epiphanies in the thread, to share them with the community and get feedback.

P.S. This is not a wishlist thread.

Great thread , would be even more interesting if one would post some audio samples to hear what their preset can do.....?

Finding the perfect ir:

It is easier than ever to get a good cab by choosing an ir that's just a little too tame and one that's a little to rude (with character you're after of course) and mixing them. This method is much quicker than looking for that one that always seems just a hair off.

The cab block is super powerful. First I thought it was overkill having 4 irs at once but it is becoming a favorite feature.

Plex delay:

For smoother ambient sounds space the delay timings out evenly, also the more delay voices the smoother. For a choppier sound you can group timings closer on pairs of lines. Setting the diffusion parameter higher can smooth out the delay lines to sound more reverb like.

These are simple things I've posted but they are ingredients for building some really complex sounds.

Try a compressor at the end of an effects chain, especially cleans with effects. Reverb and delay levels may need to be lowered a bit since the compressor will bring their levels up.

This one isn't exactly cutting edge for the former II users, but having been on a AX8 for a while, I'm really enjoying dual amp blocks again, and the III is fantastic with its routing and processing power.

Trying to do some Black Keys tones for example work great with two amps, say a clean Fender style and then a Plexi. Dan's running a few different amps on stage at once, and the trick is that his collection of fuzz and other effects isn't running into all the amps. No, instead he may run one style of fuzz into a clean Fender and then maybe play the Plexi on its own, or run a super fuzz into the Marshall but not the Fender, etc.

I always used to have a mindset of I'd run a pedal board, then split into two amp, when I used hardware amps, so the effects where all or nothing. Couldn't really run dual pedal chains that easily, so my way of thinking in the Axe was similar. I'd run a drive and then after the pre-amp block effects were done, I'd split to 2 amp blocks.

Now I'm learning to split the signal early, and run parallel drives, slap black delay before an amp, etc to dual amp blocks, so running essentially 2 totally different rigs, and then blending those as needed.

Again, not exactly a revolution for the II users, but if your used to working with an AX8 and one amp blocks, the ability to run essentially 2 of every single thing like amp blocks, cab blocks, reverb blocks etc is pretty fresh

I supposed those two amps have their A,B,C, and D sides correlated via scenes with the single cab's A, B, C, and D sides and other block sides, or have you done something equally creative with scenic dimension?

I supposed those two amps have their A,B,C, and D sides correlated via scenes with the single cab's A, B, C, and D sides and other block sides, or have you done something equally creative with scenic dimension?

I use just a single IR. I don't switch cabs when switching amps.

Back
Top Bottom