Behringer x32 Rack for IEMs

We don't use the X32, but have the P16-I connected to the direct outs of my Presonus Studio Live (2 x DB25 -> 8 x1/4" cables).
We go CAT5 from P16I to first P16-M, then daisy-chain to next one. 16 channels on each P16M, fully user controlled... GREAT if you are playing wired. If wireless, a hookup PITA for each unit (since you need to connect IEM transmitter from each P16M and decide on mono or stereo). Yes, nice convenient and easy MIX access, but more pieces parts.

So, CAT5 cables daisy-chained P16-I to P16-M, to P16M. NOTE: Only first P16-M in CAT5 chain is powered by P16-I, so have choice of running 5 sets of CAT5 (it can handle 6) from P16-I, or split one CAT5 run to each side of stage and daisy-chain P16-M's from there. 2nd and subsequent P16M in chain requires local power.

It works, but we are looking at an alternative [simpler] solution. My SLive 16.4.2 has 6 AUX sends + 2 effects busses. Plan is to assign an AUX to each of 5 musicians. One can send effects and apply FAT channel to EACH AUX feed. Each AUX out connects directly to input on corresponding muso's IEM transmitter (housed in rack, we mix from stage, no sound guy). Players can adjust mix levels via iPad app or walk over and tweak levels on mixer itself.

PROS: - No stage wedges + amp. Full IEM mix with SLive. No CAT5 cables, no P16-I, P16-M's. Power up and go.
CONS: IEM mix is mono.

IIRC you have 16 outputs which could be routed as 8 stereo pairs, so you would have 5 musicians + 1 FOH and still have 2 stereo pairs left.

That makes sense - I forgot we could use the 8 XLR and the 6 1/4" Aux Out at the same time to get 14 sends (7 stereo pairs). That is a lot, and should be able to be configured to meet most needs. I mean, really, does everybody have to have stereo... and with an S16 snake, maybe could have the additional inputs and 8 more outputs if needed, I think?

Again, many thanks for the advice and Happy New Year.

I can't get the answer to this question from the Behringer site.... Does the S16 give you 16 more inputs, to make the X32 Rack up to 32 pre-amped inputs?

I can't get the answer to this question from the Behringer site.... Does the S16 give you 16 more inputs, to make the X32 Rack up to 32 pre-amped inputs?

that's exactly what it does, in addition to the 8 outputs as mentioned above.

you can add 2 S16 for even more inputs at the stage, rather than at the mixer/rack mix position. you're only limited to how many actual controllable I/O channels there are on the console itself, but they can physically be located in many places.

that's exactly what it does, in addition to the 8 outputs as mentioned above.

you can add 2 S16 for even more inputs at the stage, rather than at the mixer/rack mix position. you're only limited to how many actual controllable I/O channels there are on the console itself, but they can physically be located in many places.

This was the specific of my question: I'm talking about the rack unit, so I'm confirming that it's a racked up version of the full X32, and so with the potential for 32 XLR inputs - provided by S16s... It's almost too good to be true...

Great tool; I particularly love the idea of not having to worry about servicing so many channel strips, let alone being able to sit on a bar stool and adjust the levels for the supporting band at your own shows.

i just want to clarify, not sure if i was clear.

i don't have the numbers correct in what i'm about to say, but let's just say you add 3 S16 snakes for a total of 48 xlr inputs, but the x32 only has 32 controllable input channels (that number is wrong, i think it's more like 40?).

you could only have control (mix, route, etc) of 32 of those 48 xlr inputs - it could be the x32, the rack, the producer, etc. you could use 4 on the rack itself, 16 on the first snake, 8 on the 2nd snake, and the rest on the 3rd snake (i think you can only hook up 2 s16s, but i think you get the idea).

you can also use the x32 Rack as a snake for another x32 console if you really want to. :) i really really want one!!! actually i want a Rack and a Compact... and an S16 and the P16 things... haha!

Think I've answered my own question:

"When used as part of a complete X32 system, two S16 Stage Boxes can be cascaded via the built-in AES50 ports, providing connectivity for up to 32 mic/line inputs, 16 balanced outputs and the incredibly-affordable POWERPLAY P-16 Personal Monitoring System, which can feed up to 48 individual monitor mixers."

I just pulled the trigger and picked one up. Looking forward to it.

Next up... upgrading my in-ear buds. Looking at 1964 Ears (the V6 Stage models).

-PJ

Saw that too. Number one reason my bands waiting a bit to upgrade from are Allen and Heath monitor mixer. Seeing what comes out to compete with Behringer.

I got it! Man, this thing is complicated! Gotta spend some time learning all the instructions and outs. Having trouble with the effects and how to route.

adu4ehan.jpg

e6epe3y4.jpg

Hey so you X32 experts, couple of questions. Heavily considering the x32 for our in ear replacement for our Allen and Heath Mixwizard 12m wz3. This board does work but the behringer features of effects, 32x32 interface, and of course the iPad controls are awesome.

Anyways questions-

So for each stereo mix I can pan them in the x32q app on the iPad right? for each persons stereo mix? We only have 3 currently using ears.
Also, could we essentially hook it up usb to my macbook and do a sound check quick. Then replay that soundcheck and adjust our in ear mixes?
Any limitations you guys have discovered? They just lowered the price at SW to 1200 new too so temptation is knocking hard!

Thanks for the help

So for each stereo mix I can pan them in the x32q app on the iPad right? for each persons stereo mix? We only have 3 currently using ears.
Also, could we essentially hook it up usb to my macbook and do a sound check quick. Then replay that soundcheck and adjust our in ear mixes?
Any limitations you guys have discovered? They just lowered the price at SW to 1200 new too so temptation is knocking hard!

Thanks for the help

I'm far from an expert, but AFAIK:

stereo mix for everyone is no problem. but the stereo image is the same for everyone. so if guitar is set left 50%, then it's for all outputs/inears left 50%

for replay you need to replace all the connections of your instruments with the output of the your DAW or change the original routing

be aware, I could be wrong on this. anyone feel free to correct me.

Hey so you X32 experts, couple of questions. Heavily considering the x32 for our in ear replacement for our Allen and Heath Mixwizard 12m wz3. This board does work but the behringer features of effects, 32x32 interface, and of course the iPad controls are awesome.

Anyways questions-

Thanks for the help

I'm still learning how to use this thing (btw: their message board is awesome!), but for me I used mixbus 1 and 2 and link them for stereo (that's my IEM) out. On the phone app I can pan each channel how I wish (bass pan a bit to the left, etc).

As far as doing a virtual soundcheck, I know it has a built-in 2 channel recorder, but haven't messed with it yet. I was able to hook it up to my Ableton and record with it. Since I don't use a laptop onstage I haven't really looked into it. But will have a router hooked up so everyone can control their mixes on their phone.

Hope this helps!

-PJ

Back
Top Bottom