Behringer x32 Rack for IEMs

pjrake

Inspired
Thinking of getting this for our IME monitors. Had the Studio Live but wasn't housed in the rack and the setup time was a bit longer.

Thoughts on the quality of Behringer and if it's a good idea to invest in this mixer.

Thanks!

-PJ

Hi PJ,

This is exactly the setup that I have recently put together for my band. I have used the Studio Live boards (tried 3 different models) and also used the Yamaha LS9-16 extensively with my previous touring band. I also used the Mackie DL1680 for a while and I like it a lot but it's less full featured than the X32 and doesn't have enough Aux outs for Stereo IEM's for every band member. I like the StudioLive's, Mackie and the LS9 but when the X32 was launched I sold everything else and bought the X32 immediately. I love it.

I started wight the original X32 (the big one). It's awesome if you have enough room for it (we use the board for IEM's and for mixing front of house from stage at smaller venues). While I love the features and flexibility it was a bit large for some of the stages we play. I purchased the X32 Rack as soon as it was released and for my use it's the perfect solution. I'm considering selling the original X32 since I don't know that I'll ever really need it again now that I have the X32 Rack...but it's just such a cool piece of gear that I'm very hesitant to part with it.

I think the X32 sounds great. To me it sounds better than the StudioLive and as good as the LS9. There is a bit of a learning curve but there are lots of videos and a great user community. It's so powerful and flexible that it just takes a bit to wrap your head around what it can do and how to do what you want. But don't worry...it's no more complex than an Axe-Fx, so if you can wrap your head around that, I'm sure the X32 is no problem.

The iPad apps are great. There's one iPad app "X32 Mix" for controlling everything about the board. There's a 2nd iPad/iphone/iPod Touch app that is specifically for controlling monitor mixes for each band member. This allows them to make changes only to their own mix without affecting everyone else. Everyone in our band uses IEM's and each have an iPad or iPad mini for controlling their mix. Each member has a Stereo IEM mix. When I joined this band they were all sharing 2 floor monitors and having trouble hearing them. My touring band had split up and I had decided to stop touring and just play with a good friend's cover band. So I brought my experience using IEM's to them. They're loving the new setup ... although it did take a little time for them to get used to it...but now they rave about how much better it is.

This setup also allows for a great sound at much lower volumes when we're playing some smaller clubs. I don't even take an amp or floor monitor for my AXE-FX. I did for a while but at some point I realized that I had forgotten to turn it on for the first two sets and it didn't bother me at all since I was hearing everything through my IEM's anyway. I never brought the monitor after that. We started using eDrums and that has helped as well with the overall mix and volume. The bass player stopped bringing an amp as soon as we went to in ear monitors. Only the other original guitar player is still using a cab on stage (Roland Floor processor - forget the model # and Mackie Monitor). Last gig he left it turned off and didn't notice a difference. I love not having amps on stage. Keeps the stage volume way down, creates a super clean stage and allows for a much more consistent mix.

I'm attaching pics of my current rack setup. Here's what's in it: MacBook Air 13" (for tracks and Waves Rack), Apple Airport Extreme Router, Line 6 V70 Mic (being replaced with a Shure Beta87 wireless), Line 6 G30 Guitar Wireless, Shure PSM900 Wireless IEM System (for me), Behringer X32 Rack Mixer, Axe-FX 2. I primarily use the Line 6 Variax that you see in the pic. Also have an MFC and a Keith McMillen Soft step for control of starting/stopping tracks. Tracks run via Ableton Live 9. Additionally I have a Behringer S16 digital snake on the other side of the stage that connects to the X32 with 1 Ethercon cable (love that!). That snake sends 3 Vocal mics, bass, Guitar, Talkbox, Harmony machine, and live drums (if we're using an acoustic set that gig). It also returns 4 Stereo IEM Mixes to the rest of the band via it's 8 XLR Outs.

I love to have a very flexible, good sounding system that allows me to hear the band the way I like to hear it (with great stereo sound through my IEM). I'm all about a simple, quick setup. It takes a fair amount of work up front, but I get the payback every time I have to setup and tear down at a gig after the initial time investment. When I get to the gig all I have to do is pop the top off the rack, plug in a handful of cables and I'm good to go.

Hope this helps give you some insight as to whether the X32 will work for your particular solution. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to reply as quickly as I can.

- Ray

photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Behringer set a new standard with the X32 in the lower price range.

I love that mixing board, very logical and powerful for no money.
Great to have a whole concept: x23, s16 digital snake and P16 personal monitors, which work perfect.

Whenever an X32 is available, I take my personal P16M powerplay monitor and my inears and I have total control on my sound.

My band went over to the X32 rack a few weeks ago. We are loving it! Now I am trying to get them to all go to IEMs :) I am the only one so far.

Does the P16M powerplay monitor work directly to the rack X32? I take it they daisy chain up to a certain number, and that the snake is only for if the X32 is out front (which being a rack isn't going to be the case....)?

My band went over to the X32 rack a few weeks ago. We are loving it! Now I am trying to get them to all go to IEMs :) I am the only one so far.

I'm wondering how to make the transition. DO you mike everything up - which won't make sense to those still using floor monitors?

Does the P16M powerplay monitor work directly to the rack X32? I take it they daisy chain up to a certain number, and that the snake is only for if the X32 is out front (which being a rack isn't going to be the case....)?

The P16M can connect directly to the X32, and I believe you can daisy chain up to 6 P16Ms. The only Caveat being that you will need to run power to each P16M unit (not a big deal they come with a power adapter). If you go with the P16D, this unit is essentially a Cat 5 hub that will also supply power to each P16M unit via the Cat 5.

My band goes direct for all instruments with exception of the Drums (mic the kick for small bars, whole kit for bigger). The other guitar player is using his stage monitor to monitor his Axe Fx2 (I just use my IEMs), Vocal, Drums and Bass all have monitors as well. The X32 is great in terms of each person having their own monitor mix that can be controlled via IPAD or IPhone. I should state that there is no requirement for the P16 system for IEMs if you are using an X32 (I happened to have the unit prior to the X32). You can easily set up individual monitor mixes that can be sent to your IEMs the same way you route a monitor mix to stage monitors. I just want them to all go to IEMs since it makes it easier for me to get a FOH mix without all the Stage Volume from the monitors. Can't do much about the drum volume unless our drummer goes over to electronic drums which probably isn't gonna happen.

layre - x32 outputs to in-ear wireless units? or hard wired? stereo using aux outs or the xlr?

You would output either to IEM Wireless (or Wired) units or headphone amps for wired. You can use either the Aux Outs and/or Assign some of the XLR Out's. They can be assigned as either Mono or Stereo depending on your needs. I use the S16 Snake just as a stage box for the other side of the stage but it's totally just for my ease of setup. Also, if everyone has iPads/iPhones I find that the App for monitor mixing works great. We chose to use the App instead of P16's just so that it's less to buy and setup/wire.

layre - x32 outputs to in-ear wireless units? or hard wired? stereo using aux outs or the xlr?

You can go X32-->in -ear wireless units. I will say you may be limited on the number of outputs depending on the size of your band and if folks want the output in stereo. If you are are going hard wired I assume you would be running this into some sort of headphone amp. The P16-M route may be the easiest, If you have a large band and folks want to hear it in stereo, or you could get the S16 Digital Snake which gives you another set of outputs.

yeah, i should have clarified i was wondering how you use it, not in general :)

believe me, i already have the routing done in my head, just need to get the rack!!

Sorry about that. Our current configuration is that my IEMs are going from x32 Ultranet to a single P16-M unit and I do my IEM mix via the P16-M. I have Bus 1-4 set up as individual monitor mixes for the other guys in the band (The send on fader feature is really nice for getting each persons personal mix set up). These are going from XLR outs 1-4 to each of the four stage monitors. I have XLR 7 and 8 assigned to the Mains L/R

Thanks for your great answers Layre.

When you're just miking up the kick - as we do in smaller venues, how does that sound to you in your IEMs? Is there enough spill from everything else, or do you set up other mikes - plus as I do when recording live gigs, have a mike on the audience? (Being the singer, it's reassuring to be able to hear either the requests, or the cries of outrage in advance of the bottles being thrown:))

Thanks for your great answers Layre.

When you're just miking up the kick - as we do in smaller venues, how does that sound to you in your IEMs? Is there enough spill from everything else, or do you set up other mikes - plus as I do when recording live gigs, have a mike on the audience? (Being the singer, it's reassuring to be able to hear either the requests, or the cries of outrage in advance of the bottles being thrown:))

I am able to hear the drums via some bleed through on the Kick and vocal mice. It hasn't been an issue yet. If you have one or two free channels, setting up an ambient mic or using a couple overhead mics on the Drum kit will help out to ensure you are getting enough of the drums.

Many thanks Layre. I've got some Russian condensers (Oktavas) which do a great job for audiences. One of those over the drum kit might even do both. Thanks again!

...my IEMs are going from x32 Ultranet to a single P16-M unit and I do my IEM mix via the P16-M. I have Bus 1-4 set up as individual monitor mixes... I have XLR 7 and 8 assigned to the Mains L/R

Thanks so much for this thread and for sharing your responses/knowledge. Just starting looking into this type setup, and it seems the x32 is the real deal! Quick question tho, as I am confused (happens a lot) -

If I understand correctly the Aux and XLR outs are Mono sends and the Ultranet is full channels and stereo. If I want to set up IEM's in stereo for each player (say, 5 folks) and have the house in Stereo, I would somehow configure to get 12 "Sends" or get 5 of the P-16 units and use 2 outs to FOH as you do.

But if I use the P-16 units, that becomes the mix controls for each of the 5 IEM @ 16 channels each? Or can you still use IPad to control as 32 channels? Does the question make sense?

Guess what I am asking is this - I would want to use the x32 to send stereo mixes to FOH and IEM's and control with multiple IPads, but it seems not to have enough sends alone to do stereo. Did I miss anything on the Aux or XLR's being mono sends?

I am also lost on what the x32 Core would do as an option. Love the 1U design, but to get inputs/outputs it seems you would need the S-16 or whatever it is called, and you are back to 3U again.

Many thanks again!

Thanks so much for this thread and for sharing your responses/knowledge. Just starting looking into this type setup, and it seems the x32 is the real deal! Quick question tho, as I am confused (happens a lot) -

If I understand correctly the Aux and XLR outs are Mono sends and the Ultranet is full channels and stereo. If I want to set up IEM's in stereo for each player (say, 5 folks) and have the house in Stereo, I would somehow configure to get 12 "Sends" or get 5 of the P-16 units and use 2 outs to FOH as you do.

But if I use the P-16 units, that becomes the mix controls for each of the 5 IEM @ 16 channels each? Or can you still use IPad to control as 32 channels? Does the question make sense?

Guess what I am asking is this - I would want to use the x32 to send stereo mixes to FOH and IEM's and control with multiple IPads, but it seems not to have enough sends alone to do stereo. Did I miss anything on the Aux or XLR's being mono sends?
IIRC you have 16 outputs which could be routed as 8 stereo pairs, so you would have 5 musicians + 1 FOH and still have 2 stereo pairs left.

I am also lost on what the x32 Core would do as an option. Love the 1U design, but to get inputs/outputs it seems you would need the S-16 or whatever it is called, and you are back to 3U again.

I guess the 1U is only usefull in combination with a S-16, where the S16 would be on stage and the X32-1U in the FOH connected to a laptop

Many thanks again!

i don't have any x32 products, but i have used a friend's x32 and research this line a lot.

i'm pretty sure the P-16 units use the hardware knobs to create the mixes for the player - the iPad would not affect or control those mixes (except for gain i would assume), but the iPad could still control the FOH mix and everything else like normal.

one of the setup examples on the x32 web page shows the use of 12 P-16 units (with the distributor boxes) - not sure if that's stereo or mono.

i wonder if adding the S-16 snake box would give you additional outputs for getting all your stereo output needs - i don't know how many outputs the x32 can actually use.

the x32 Core would definitely need the S-16 snake, but its use would be something like keep the Core in a control room, run cable out to the S-16 and limit the access to the system.

Back
Top Bottom