"Behind" note buzz.HELP!!!

Here it is...

Sounds fine.
Turn down the gain?
Play quieter from the guitar?
When your vol pot on the guitar is cranked it will have more top end than when the vol pot is attenuated even just a bit (unless you're using active pickups or have a treble-bleed circuit on your guitar).
Try some of the compression options in the Amp Block?
Adjust your Cab Block for less top end?
Use a different IR?

Don't expect factory Presets to sound perfect.
You'll always have to tweak for your setup.

Let me ask this question? Is this an issue with older firmware?
By "issue" do you mean was older firmware this accurate with respect to modeling this real world characteristic? I'm confused as to how an amp modeler being accurate is a problem. IMHO: if the older FW didn't model it and it is present on the amp, then the model without it was 'wrong'. The OP's clip sounded like a 'normal' amplifier clip to me, Cliff's demo sounded like the model was highly accurate, too.

You deal with it exactly like you would on a real amp, volume, gain, levels, settings, pick another amp/cab. You can even control it with virtual bias mods unlike a real amp.

Buy a POD :):D
But seriously now. The option to make the amp simulation ideal, instead of real (or something like this) was removed, right? Maybe this could solve this (ever returning) issue!

I think the sound of amp simulation going further into reality is awesome, it's way more alive and dynamic to play.

Sounds fine.
Turn down the gain?
Play quieter from the guitar?
When your vol pot on the guitar is cranked it will have more top end than when the vol pot is attenuated even just a bit (unless you're using active pickups or have a treble-bleed circuit on your guitar).
Try some of the compression options in the Amp Block?
Adjust your Cab Block for less top end?
Use a different IR?

Don't expect factory Presets to sound perfect.
You'll always have to tweak for your setup.
To me it sounds like high 8k+ plus creeping in that needs some roll off.

With my setup, all the factory presets were too bassy and brittle at the same time. So I lowered some amp brightness and I EQ'd the amps and the cabs, getting rid of non-guitar lows and highs. Why would I want my guitar cab block simulating 20 hz or 20,000hz? For example, in the amp's 8 band EQ, I set the lowest and highest slider to -12 and rolled off the next lowest and highest slider with what was needed. I took the FA 4x12 Greenback Cab Block and adjusted the low and high Hz to match a real GB Frequency range of 75hz to 5000hz. Just that alone tightened up the preset and got rid of loose boomy bass and annoying brittle shrill.

I took the FA 4x12 Greenback Cab Block and adjusted the low and high Hz to match a real GB Frequency range of 75hz to 5000hz.
Isn't that essentially low-passing your guitar at 5kHz? o_O That's probably gonna sound like shit in a full mix.

The whole point of laying down a huge sounding guitar track, is so you can trim away at it in the mixing stage to fit the track.

Isn't that essentially low-passing your guitar at 5kHz? o_O That's probably gonna sound like shit in a full mix.

The whole point of laying down a huge sounding guitar track, is so you can trim away at it in the mixing stage to fit the track.
First of all I'm referring to live mix. Studio recording may require more.
To answer your question, No not by just adjusting the cab block. If that was true, then all greenbacks would sound bad. I suggest listen to some isolated guitar tracks, from studio recordings. They all pretty much sound bad. IMO EVH overtones are terrible alone.
We all make the mistake of wanting a huge deep shimmering tone with good tight bottom end and fluid highs. The problem is, when combined with drums, bass, keyboard and vocals, we get stepped on, in a live mix. Brian May said it best, if you want a killer sounding guitar in your mix, you have to sound like crap by yourself. Guitar players keep turning up, causing more mud, but still don't get out in front, because they are getting buried by the other instruments, due to bad EQ. A guitar is a mid range instrument. So smiley faced EQ settings tend to be bad. A frown face would be better, (probably a frown because it sounds like crap all by itself:)).
I found for live electric in a mix, roll off everything below 100hz, tweak in the 150 to 200hz area for thickness, but not too much or you'll boom. (because that's the bass player's part), adjust around 500hz accordingly, so you don't compete with the snare, be careful with the highs above 4k, as they add an enormous amount of hiss/fizz when using a lot of distortion, maybe cut a little 3 to 5k, to stay away from vocals, and add slight 8k, if the guitar is dull sounding, but not too much. Of course different guitars, with different pickups, will require different EQ settings. These are general areas.
All our ears are different, and I hate my guitar tone while playing alone. So I created solo practice presets, to keep me happy. But my guitar sounds killer live, mixed with all the other instruments. It's strong, clear, tight with the right amount of punch and sizzle. And for the first time in years, and ever since I got the AXE, I was asked to turn down in rehearsal and live.
But back the OP's issue, of not liking what he hears, which I agree with @yek, that it sounds natural to me. It could be due to too many highs getting through, and something like reverb or delay emphasising those tones. I find rolling off high EQ areas, even in the effects, like delay, can smooth out the unwanted anomaly and create a more fluid tone.

Reactions: yek

A quick story for an example, We played a gig a few months ago, when I was using my Triaxis, 2:90 with deep on and my cab, mic'd to the exceptionally good house PA. It sounded killer to all of us on stage. After the first set, the sound engineer came to me and said, I can't get anything out of your guitar above 1.5 to 2k, and you're getting buried in the mix. So It got me to rethink everything about guitar EQ.

Exactly. When using my CLRs on stage, I'll cut lows in the Cab block around at least 150 Hz, and highs around 5.5 kHz.
Sounds like crap on its own and at home, but it works so well in the mix.

I also use two sets of presets, well 3 actually. my first set is for me sitting around wanking, the others are geared towards two different bands, thus eq'd differently. Seems like it's been one of the biggest hurdles for modelers in general is the whole amp vs mic'd amp thing.

A few bands around town, they play individually during sound check, hey that sounds pretty good, the minute the band starts it's a wall of mud and guitar is gone.

To put this to rest (again, for the umpteenth time):

One clip is the amp, the other is the model. All controls set the same.

The reason that it's more "noticeable" with modelers is that there is a lot more high frequency content in a typical IR. When you listen to your tube amp through its speaker you are in the far field and usually somewhat off-axis. There is less high frequency content reaching your ears compared to what a microphone records. Go put your amp in an isolation room and listen to it through the control room monitors. You'll be astonished at what you hear.

Thanks for doing this. I think this kind of experiment can be really helpful. One thing I have found objectionable about the kind of distortion the OP posted is that the decay on the fizz is abrupt and much faster than anything else, making it feel disconnected. This clip cut off everything before anything had a chance to really decay that way.

In practice, I know most notes and chords also don't have much ring time, so it doesn't matter much then.

Question about IM: does it, kind of by definition, require two or more notes to be being played?

Thanks for doing this. I think this kind of experiment can be really helpful. One thing I have found objectionable about the kind of distortion the OP posted is that the decay on the fizz is abrupt and much faster than anything else, making it feel disconnected. This clip cut off everything before anything had a chance to really decay that way.

In practice, I know most notes and chords also don't have much ring time, so it doesn't matter much then.

Question about IM: does it, kind of by definition, require two or more notes to be being played?

The Axe-Fx responds just like a real amp. If you don't like that many of the newer modelers have artificially soft waveshapers that may suit your needs better.

The Axe-Fx responds just like a real amp. If you don't like that many of the newer modelers have artificially soft waveshapers that may suit your needs better.
+1, I'm a tube SNOB. A real tube amp has a certain feel, sustain, etc. No One will convince me I'm going to get real amp tone and feel out of a modeler.
Well guess what, I was proven wrong! I am still in AWE, as to how real feeling my AXE is. And I'm still in learn mode. And then add the fact that you can adjust things you were never able to do, even makes it that much better. I suggest the OP build a preset from scratch, using familiar amps and cabs, and then experiment with settings. After receiving mine, I scoured the forum, reading about problems, settings, right and wrong configurations and more. The Fractal team and the AXE owner participants, in the forums, saved me days of time and possible frustrations.

Yes. Two or more signals intermodulate against each other.

Ok, that being the case...

In the OP's clip, you can hear the sound over single notes. Even in Cliff's example, the start of the strum is only one note and you can hear it. So what are the one note sections modulating against that make this IM distortion?

No need to get defensive. I like and use the AFX. But I have heard this exact claim ("responds just like a real amp") made with every single firmware release since I bought the unit several years ago. And yet with every single firmware release (15? 20 of them?), apparently something has been corrected or made more authentic...more exact. So apparently something wasn't responding exactly like a tube amp. A conundrum as to how both things can be true but apparently contradictory.

Maybe I'm reading too much into other peoples' motivations, but at least for me when I have tried to bring this up, it has been with the motivation to help out...either to improve the modeling because I don't hear this in my amp, or to improve awareness of what to do about it if a person found it objectionable.

Ok, that being the case...

In the OP's clip, you can hear the sound over single notes. Even in Cliff's example, the start of the strum is only one note and you can hear it. So what are the one note sections modulating against that make this IM distortion?
In the OP's clip, other strings are allowed to ring out under the individual notes. That's where the IM is coming from.

Back
Top Bottom