Beginner question on setting levels

tysonlt

Power User
Hello all,

I have been playing my new AxeFx 3 with Presonus H7 headphones and been very impressed, as expected.

Today my JBL Eon 610s arrived, and when I first plugged them in I got no sound! I turned them up to max, nervously, and got a soft sound.

I saw the note regarding setting the levels to 10Db, which I have done. I have also played around with changing preset levels. To start with I put input, amp, cab, preset levels to +20, and maxed the front panel volume. NOW it's loud! Nothing like testing the extremes :) However, I notice an awful amount of hiss, hum, and other nasty noises at this level, just with a fairy simple amp+cab.

My question:

Is there some received wisdom on how to set up the gain stage? I don't really think maxing levels seems kosher. I assume the aim is get the level meters almost in the red, but does this go for all blocks? (as viewed on the levels page.) I tried the manual and forum, and I did find a youtube video (Setting the Input Level - Axe-FX II / KKMusic) but I'm not sure this applies the 3?

Please teach me your wisdom.

If you’re using Axe Edit, click on the output block of your preset. Play an open G chord relatively hard. The level should hover around the line on the meter in that block. If not, adjust amp block level up or down until it does.

I had a read of your speaker manual to see if it was expecting -10dBu or +4dBu at the line level inputs but it wasn’t clear to me, however if you still think it’s too quiet after leveling the preset properly, I would go into the I/O menu on the Axe Fx and change the level to +4dBu for the output you have connected to those speakers. -10dBu is for consumer grade hardware, +4dBu is for pro grade hardware.

Hello all,

I have been playing my new AxeFx 3 with Presonus H7 headphones and been very impressed, as expected.

Today my JBL Eon 610s arrived, and when I first plugged them in I got no sound! I turned them up to max, nervously, and got a soft sound.

I saw the note regarding setting the levels to 10Db, which I have done. I have also played around with changing preset levels. To start with I put input, amp, cab, preset levels to +20, and maxed the front panel volume. NOW it's loud! Nothing like testing the extremes :) However, I notice an awful amount of hiss, hum, and other nasty noises at this level, just with a fairy simple amp+cab.

My question:

Is there some received wisdom on how to set up the gain stage? I don't really think maxing levels seems kosher. I assume the aim is get the level meters almost in the red, but does this go for all blocks? (as viewed on the levels page.) I tried the manual and forum, and I did find a youtube video (Setting the Input Level - Axe-FX II / KKMusic) but I'm not sure this applies the 3?

Please teach me your wisdom.
If you got sound from your headphones, you should have gotten sound from the speakers too. How high did you turn up the Output 1 front panel knob when you first tried? Did you use Output 1?

Thanks for the tips. I have set the output to +4, and have tweaked volumes and now it’s all good.

I notice there are a number of places to set levels: input, amp, cap, output, preset, etc. is there a preferred approach to setting these to get a good gain structure? Should all the meters on the meter layout be in the orange?

Thanks for the tips. I have set the output to +4, and have tweaked volumes and now it’s all good.

I notice there are a number of places to set levels: input, amp, cap, output, preset, etc. is there a preferred approach to setting these to get a good gain structure? Should all the meters on the meter layout be in the orange?
The User Manual has a section on setting levels. Check it out.

Yes, RTM! I did read the manual while I was waiting for delivery but must have skimmed that part. Thanks for your help everyone.

Usually the output volume in the Amp Block is where you’d want to set your overall patch volume.. but that’s also depending on if you’re using another block like a volume block with scene changes to control overall output volume after the fact as well. Generally though, use the Output Volume on the Amp Block to set overall Patch Level.
And you can use a Filter or EQ Block in front of the amp block with +dB output volume settings as a clean boost going into the amp block, as well as Drive block settings.

Hi guys,

I'm a new user to an Axe-Fx III (absolutely at a beginner stage with this whole digital and axe fx world) and I'm to set my Main Input level as it says in the manual and my question to you would be, does it matter what preset I use for setting the input level? I mean if I set it with a clean amp then obviously it is going to be quieter so I can bring the input level higher before it tackles red but if let's say I choose a high distorted amp then that will influence the input level in a different way isn't it? So which preset should I use to set it with?

Thank you!

Hi guys,

I'm a new user to an Axe-Fx III (absolutely at a beginner stage with this whole digital and axe fx world) and I'm to set my Main Input level as it says in the manual and my question to you would be, does it matter what preset I use for setting the input level? I mean if I set it with a clean amp then obviously it is going to be quieter so I can bring the input level higher before it tackles red but if let's say I choose a high distorted amp then that will influence the input level in a different way isn't it? So which preset should I use to set it with?

Thank you!
Clean sounds and distortion sounds can be the same volume.

Oh okay. So it doesn't matter if it's a clean or a distorted preset I use for setting my main input level?
If you’re truly setting the Input level, then the preset has nothing to do with it. You’re setting the Input, not the result of the preset.

Do you mind one more question, Chris? I sent the AustinBuddy 1000 + tone pack for Axe Fx III bank 1 and bank 2 onto my Axe FX and SOME factory presets have disappeared....like for example I don't have the Bohemian Rhapsody or the Deluxe verb preset. Is that because in this Austin pack there is actually a preset for the Bohemian Rhapsody or Deluxe verb sound it's that Austin might named it differently? I know the factory preset option but is there an option to have all the original factory presets alongside the AustinBuddy 1000 stuff?

Many thanks in advance!

Do you mind one more question, Chris? I sent the AustinBuddy 1000 + tone pack for Axe Fx III bank 1 and bank 2 onto my Axe FX and SOME factory presets have disappeared....like for example I don't have the Bohemian Rhapsody or the Deluxe verb preset. Is that because in this Austin pack there is actually a preset for the Bohemian Rhapsody or Deluxe verb sound it's that Austin might named it differently? I know the factory preset option but is there an option to have all the original factory presets alongside the AustinBuddy 1000 stuff?

Many thanks in advance!
There is currently not enough room in the III to store all the factory presets and all the AustinBuddy presets, if you copied the AB presets to bank 1 and 2, you overwrote all those factory presets. You will have to come up with your own system for auditioning/storing presets using AxeEdit and use discretion when keeping them in the Axe, you will def have to keep some presets stored on your computer and import/export as needed.
I think a fairly common solution (I do this) is to move the Factory Presets from Bank A and B and move them to later banks (the later factory banks
Feature a lot of special effects and “look what this can do” presets and may have limited real world value so some consider them the most sacrificable (but great fun) , and install the Buddy presets to earlier banks...you will get the hang of it soon enough when you get more familar with presets and user interface. There are no presets in common between stock and Buddy , although of course they may use the same amps and similar effects.

Ah okay....You gonna think I'm a complete moron now...but to be honest this is my 3rd day of owing an axe fx and I have no idea about what banks are either :p where is bank 1 and bank 2 on the axe? Where can I find them? Also, what do you mean by later and earlier banks?

Usually the output volume in the Amp Block is where you’d want to set your overall patch volume.. but that’s also depending on if you’re using another block like a volume block with scene changes to control overall output volume after the fact as well. Generally though, use the Output Volume on the Amp Block to set overall Patch Level.
And you can use a Filter or EQ Block in front of the amp block with +dB output volume settings as a clean boost going into the amp block, as well as Drive block settings.

I've always been doing it like that, since the Axe-Fx Standard.

But right now I've had a RTFM moment, as an extraordinary exception, and I've found this:

Exceptions to the rule - Axe-Fx-III-Owners-Manual.pdf.png

I always use post-compressor, post-tape-drive (between amp and cab), and CAB Drive/Saturation in all my presets, so I've always been doing it wrong :sweatsmile:

That is why it is called the F manual :grinning:

Back
Top Bottom