Beginner - Need Help

You can easily use an FM3 with any amp, however, for the effects list and usage that the he mentions, an FM3 isn't what comes to mind in terms of a recommendation, guitarist to guitarist.
Maybe you missed the part where he said he's considering returning the amp?

That's why I said it could be used both with and without the amp... And when we talk about amp modeling there is no comparison. ;)

Also, as a guitarist you already know that list of effects will grow and change.

What's your recommendation as for my way ahead? Stick with my tube amp and pick up used pedals to meet my needs for the effects described in my initial post? I guess I was just interested in kind of a "blank check" in terms of an effects box. To this end, I have looked into Line 6 products (i.e. HX Effects, HX Stomp), which are easily half the price. But I am also not interested in buying something to get my feet wet, only to outgrow it and want more down the line. That type of stuff tends to cost more money than if I were to just buy the best thing right now.

But I am open to suggestions - are you partial to the Line 6 stuff for a player in my position?
You seem most of the way there in terms of what you need, you mention Delay, OD, compression, boost, etc. There are seriously great pedals beyond stuff in the multi-effector space, for instance compression/clean boost in one pedal, several OD pedals that do multiple modes of distortion and drive. You have to decide if you want to develop a good sound starting with a good guitar/amp combo, adding a pedal, or pedals, at a time, with the ability to tweak these controls with knobs at your feet. Or if you prefer to buy something that will give you endless combinations, that you'll need to program each, one by one. And then when you are actually playing you will have less ability to control on the fly. Yes, you can set up the unit to do any control you can think of, but you have to KNOW what you want in advance.

I agree about the quality of the Fractal effects, and I definitely don't recommend any particular pedal, or digital multi-effector like Line 6, over a Fractal. But it is MUCH different in practice dialing in a sound on a particular effect while you are playing with a Fractal than with a pedal. Different usage, and very different world- largely dealing with being heads-down in front of a computer screen, or clicking through menus on the unit itself. I'm just saying you need to consider all the factors. I have a lot of guitarist friends, and I would steer many of them towards Fractal, but not all. And if they were interested in Line 6 or Kemper, I wouldn't weigh in, I would refer them to other friends that love those products.

You seem most of the way there in terms of what you need, you mention Delay, OD, compression, boost, etc. There are seriously great pedals beyond stuff in the multi-effector space, for instance compression/clean boost in one pedal, several OD pedals that do multiple modes of distortion and drive. You have to decide if you want to develop a good sound starting with a good guitar/amp combo, adding a pedal, or pedals, at a time, with the ability to tweak these controls with knobs at your feet. Or if you prefer to buy something that will give you endless combinations, that you'll need to program each, one by one. And then when you are actually playing you will have less ability to control on the fly. Yes, you can set up the unit to do any control you can think of, but you have to KNOW what you want in advance.

I agree about the quality of the Fractal effects, and I definitely don't recommend any particular pedal, or digital multi-effector like Line 6, over a Fractal. But it is MUCH different in practice dialing in a sound on a particular effect while you are playing with a Fractal than with a pedal. Different usage, and very different world- largely dealing with being heads-down in front of a computer screen, or clicking through menus on the unit itself. I'm just saying you need to consider all the factors. I have a lot of guitarist friends, and I would steer many of them towards Fractal, but not all. And if they were interested in Line 6 or Kemper, I wouldn't weigh in, I would refer them to other friends that love those products.

Definitely appreciate the honesty, and I definitely appreciate the perspective of building a pedalboard one pedal at a time in order to craft my "sound". My perspective on this, and something I have seen people discuss on other forums, is how the availability of different effects in a multi-effect pedal will help hone in on what I like vs. what I don't like. Then, once I have really kind of determined the effects that are integral to my sound, I can go out and really invest in individual pedals for a pedalboard (or not, and completely buy into the digital stuff).

The problem with the pedal market right now is also it's greatest strength; availability. There are so many great options, and most can be had at a fraction of the cost new on reverb. But this is also the problem that I am having. What distortion should I get? What overdrive? What compression, etc. It's just annoying, and I think having access to EVERYTHING would help.

The problem with the pedal market right now is also it's greatest strength; availability. There are so many great options, and most can be had at a fraction of the cost new on reverb. But this is also the problem that I am having. What distortion should I get? What overdrive? What compression, etc. It's just annoying, and I think having access to EVERYTHING would help.
This. If you haven't found out what you like yet, then there's value in getting a digital box that has everything, so you can try it all out.

Once you've discovered what you really like (and that could take years), and you get to the point of buying those pedals, it may just occur to you... "Wait a minute. I already have them, don't I?" ;)

This. If you haven't found out what you like yet, then there's value in getting a digital box that has everything, so you can try it all out.

Once you've discovered what you really like (and that could take years), and you get to the point of buying those pedals, it may just occur to you... "Wait a minute. I already have them, don't I?" ;)

This is exactly why I am here. This seems like the best and most cost effective way of finding my sound.

The only question I have is, would you go Axe-FX 2 over the 3 for a guy in my position? Or even the FX8 or AX8 just to get my toes wet or jump in straight away with a FM3 or Axe-FX 3.

The only question I have is, would you go Axe-FX 2 over the 3 for a guy in my position? Or even the FX8 or AX8 just to get my toes wet or jump in straight away with a FM3 or Axe-FX 3.
That depends on your pocketbook or where you're at. Any of those options will sound great. You're enamored with the leading-edge stuff, so I'd recommend you get something with amp modeling. Otherwise, you'll always wonder what you might be missing out on there. Amp modeling has also advanced by leaps and bounds.

My rule of thumb for musical gear (and most everything else): buy the best you can afford, but be honest with yourself about what you can afford.

That depends on your pocketbook or where you're at. Any of those options will sound great. You're enamored with the leading-edge stuff, so I'd recommend you get something with amp modeling. Otherwise, you'll always wonder what you might be missing out on there. Amp modeling has also advanced by leaps and bounds.

My rule of thumb for musical gear (and most everything else): buy the best you can afford, but be honest with yourself about what you can afford.

Great advice, which is kind of why I was thinking a used piece of gear. Thinking about a used AX8 or Axe-Fx2. Thanks for the advice!

Also, what's the realistic wait time for the FM3 or the Axe-FX3? Like, a month or a year?

Also, what's the realistic wait time for the FM3 or the Axe-FX3? Like, a month or a year?
The original FM3 wait-list has not been filled yet, so depending on when you got on it might be several months.

The Axe Fx III wait-list is just waiting for a re-stock, I think. Seems like 4-ish weeks from a recent thread.

The original FM3 wait-list has not been filled yet, so depending on when you got on it might be several months.

The Axe Fx III wait-list is just waiting for a re-stock, I think. Seems like 4-ish weeks from a recent thread.

Sounds like I will be picking up an Axe3 if I don’t pick up something used first.

Definitely appreciate the honesty, and I definitely appreciate the perspective of building a pedalboard one pedal at a time in order to craft my "sound". My perspective on this, and something I have seen people discuss on other forums, is how the availability of different effects in a multi-effect pedal will help hone in on what I like vs. what I don't like. Then, once I have really kind of determined the effects that are integral to my sound, I can go out and really invest in individual pedals for a pedalboard (or not, and completely buy into the digital stuff).

Interesting perspective. Personally I find I am able to really use the Fractal stuff pretty effectively because I have a lot of experience with amps and pedals. I recommend everyone be able to do the same, because, for instance, if you sit in on many of the gigs that I do, that's all you are bound to get :)

Also, there is a lot to be said for adding a pedal at a time, and for the process taking months or years. It's the journey, with an ever changing destination. For those of us already well down this path, the AX3 and FM3 is an utter game changer.

Interesting perspective. Personally I find I am able to really use the Fractal stuff pretty effectively because I have a lot of experience with amps and pedals. I recommend everyone be able to do the same, because, for instance, if you sit in on many of the gigs that I do, that's all you are bound to get :)

Also, there is a lot to be said for adding a pedal at a time, and for the process taking months or years. It's the journey, with an ever changing destination. For those of us already well down this path, the AX3 and FM3 is an utter game changer.

Maybe that’s the best answer I’ve had so far, although I’m not certain how many amps and pedals I’d have to play thru to truly appreciate the infinite possibilities that Fractal has to offer with their products. I do think that maybe I’ll sit with my current setup a while longer just to really hone my chops and see where that takes me. Definitely love the feel of a cranked tube amp...only issue is I barely get to crank it since I’m a bedroom guy (hence my interest in these products).

Back
Top Bottom