Before I buy...

AustinForeman10

Hey guys, I'm close to buying my first Axe unit. I just had a couple quick questions..

Do the Ultra/Std. models have all of the same amps, cabs, effects, etc. that the II does?

Can the Ultra/Std. run the same downloadable presets as the II?

Am I missing out on anything monumental in not wanting to drop another $1000 on a II?

Thanks!

Future updates, scenes, tone matching, the latest amps and features.

You'll go far with the ultra. The II though is quickly redefining all the breakthroughs the standard/ultra only recently established.

Wait until 10 is released and see/hear what everybody thinks about it .. then make your own judgement as to how monumental the difference is :)

The 2 is getting more updates/amps etc. The Ultra and Standard are a finished product, but still a great unit still used live by national recording acts. The nice thing about axe fx is it holds its value well. You could buy a standard for about a grand now and sell it to someone else for about the same later to fund an Axe 2 if you decide on one.

If 1K is going to take food off the table, std/ultra are really great units just end the debate at that. If you are the type that gets gadget envy and can afford it then you would probably be happier with the II. Keep in mind whatever you decide you are likely to want additional items such as a midi controller, expression pedal, etc. so consider those in your decision.

I got a Standard, and then an MFC, and thought it'd be the last major purchase I'd make. Then inexplicably, probably just because I could afford to, I upgraded to an Ultra and then later a II. I did get caught up in the upgrade / firmware hyperbole.
My friend still owns the Standard I sold him, and it sounds fab. It does everything HE wants it to do, and he sees no real need to upgrade. And why should he, there is still no comparable unit by another manufacturer that comes close to the flexibility and sound quality of an Axe-Fx. Plus, if you do ever get the chance to upgrade, you'll already be familiar with the GUI. It's a win-win.

I'm still using a STD and happy with it. I could afford an Ultra or a II but the STD does everything I want. I don't run crazy-complicated signal chains and I don't feel like I'm missing anything the II has to offer right now (except the flurry of forum activity and related mind-share). Heck, I'm still discovering new things to do with it.

I'd have to agree with the majority here, all good advice. I bought the Ultra ONLY because I got it from a close friend and for really really cheap. He upgraded to the 2 and then we've had several opportunities to play them side by side. The results IMO..........barely any difference(and we run VERY similar rigs & cabs). The 2 does have a few more features, an extra CPU, and will get continual updates. But truth be told.....the Ultra is simply put, a wicked wicked machine.
Trust me when I say that for years and years I've been the tube amp guy and have gone through probably 20 amps in the last 10 years and right now.......with this Axe Ultra.........I ahve let them all go. This machine is pricey, but where can you get all that it has to offer.....seriously. NOWHERE. This is the most incredible piece of hardware I have ever owned. Take the plunge......either way ya go you wont be sorry.

FW 10 is one thing you'd be missing by not getting a II. It either matters or doesn't. Ultra sounds very good. II with FW 10 has stunningly good amp sounds. Watch the forum explode with joy over FW 10. It really is amazing.

Hey man, I am playing guitar for almost 15 years and I spend a lot of money on tube amps, mics, guitars and I just bought an Axe Fx Ultra. Axe Fx deserve the price and without hesitating just buy one of the products.
I did not tried an Axe Fx 2 but as I saw from the videos on youtube you can get similar tones from an Axe Fx Ultra (of course with more effort:).

I bought an Axe FX Ultra yesterday for 1200. It took some good amount of time trying to get the updates as Fractal has taken it off the website.

Now If you do get a Axe FX or the Ultra here are some links that should come in handy as the forums here links are dead.

This will get you the Axe-Edit. I had to go all the way back to the Beta .9 at the bottom to get firmware 11.0 installed.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByE59RhTED3bczV3aFRGbm5qSE0/edit?pli=1

Now I found some solid IR files hosted by someone here but all the links were 404.
I then found them again but with a good download link from Metal Guitarist . org
It took awhile of refreshing the security to get something I could actually make out so keep doing it until you get one you can submit correctly.

Now after I used some IR's and played with tones for a few hours I found some solid metal tones that I liked very well.
Prior to uploading the IR's I was really disappointed with the unit and considered dumping it.

If you have any questions with the ultra on doing things just shoot me a message and I'll do my best to share with you what I have been able to figure out. I have a good amount of it figured out, but still trying how to load an entire user setting that includes amp settings etc. Not just IR.

I bought some IR bundles from Ownhammer and Redwirez then spent HOURS going through them. I find I prefer the stock IRs, but that's me. I'm always open to trying others.

I bought an Axe FX Ultra yesterday for 1200. It took some good amount of time trying to get the updates as Fractal has taken it off the website.

Firmware, banks and the manual for the first gen Axe are still listed under the support section of the Fractal site.

I have the II in my studio and still use my Standard to gig live with. It is so dialed in that whenever I bring the II to rehearsal, I find myself missing the sound the standard gives me. This may change now that FW10 has been released. Had to dump all my presets on the II and start over but I wasn't wild about the sounds I had anyway. Things are sounding really good with FW10. Time will tell if it will make it's way from studio to stage.

It's all about how hard core you are, in regards to your tweaking habits. For instance, I was never a big tweaker before I bought my Ultra. I usually just had my tube amp on clean and then added a couple pedals. When I was deciding between the Ultra and the Standard Axe-FX I figured I better get the Ultra because I didn't want to be missing out on anything and be regretting it later. After buying the Ultra I learned pretty quickly that I undoubtedly wasted the money getting the Ultra instead of the Standard. I barely do much tweaking, so the Standard would have been more than enough for me.

Keeping all of that in mind is exactly why I have no desire to buy an Axe-II. I know for a fact that I would never do with it anything more than what I already do with my Ultra. Losing money selling the Ultra and then spending MORE money buying the Axe-II would be an exercise in consumerist excess.

So: Are you the type of person that could spend all day tweaking and go on the forum checking out the latest and greatest? Maybe you should spend the extra dough on the Axe-II, then. Or, do you simply want to have a all-in-one box to get all the tones you figure you'll need and call it a day? If so, the standard is for you.

Back
Top Bottom