Been an ear player all my life. What's the best way to start learning guitar?

Muzick

Experienced
Hey everyone - Like the title says I've been mostly an ear player, though I am familiar with basic Music Theory. I'd like to take my guitar playing to the next level. I'm sure learning the scales, modes, and other types of theory is a good idea, but what's going to be the best way to start down this path.

I would consider myself and intermediate player right now. I know all your basic chord shapes, barr chords, and have a strong ear to know if I'm in the right key or not. But ultimately I know that creatively I could go a lot further if I could actually know what the key of A really means.

Thanks!
Brandon

I would find someone to take lessons from.

There is sooo much free info and lessons etc. online, but if you are like me, I kind of "bounce off" of that kind of information.

One on one lessons are always better for me.

After winging it all my life I thought at least I can figure out some theory. Maybe the Circle of Fifths. I was amazed at the doors this opened to guitar (and piano for that matter) regarding scales, modes, chord construction, intervals and music reading. Things started to tie together and make so much more sense.

I don't think it's a direct replacement for one on one lessons but it is abundantly free on the WWW and it will tie in directly to whatever anyone can teach you. Depending on your level and where you want to be it may be all you need.

I agree wholeheartedly with barhrecords. There is a lot of good, and (unfortunately) bad information on the internet. There is no substitute for 1-on-1 instruction from a good teacher. By "good teacher" I do not mean somebody who can play guitar. There are a million guys who can play guitar. I mean someone who can teach. A good teacher will study your current playing skills, and develop a plan to teach you the basic fundamentals (often overlooked). Once the basics are mastered (and I would argue that to develop more advanced skills the basics must be mastered) then you can progress. Videos and the internet cannot watch you closely, and offer corrective feedback. I took 1-on-1 lessons for almost 5 years. One of the best decisions I ever made as a musician.

A good lesson plan should contain at a minimum:
picking technique (alternate picking and economy picking)
scale study (including arpeggios) (maj7, dom7, min7, min7b5, dim, aug, chromatic)
direction of travel (up the neck, down the neck, and across the neck)
diatonic modes
how to construct chords and inversions
ear training (interval study)

Just my $0.02, but after teaching guitar for 45 years, I see lot of bad habits come through my door. Many are very hard to break. Bad habits ingrained into muscle memory can be a real challenge.

Also, find a teacher that works for you. Everyone has their own style and bag, it takes me a while to find someone that I can really learn from and that motivates me.

Awesome! Yeah thanks everyone for your input. I have been trying to learn online and found it to be a mixed bag. Some of it can be helpful but I think it's more of a reinforcement to learning from an in person lesson. I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom