Beato Book Interactive

acwild

Experienced
I love watching his short video tips with creative ideas but some of them are a bit advanced for me to fully understand. He also turned me on to Mateus Asato which motivated me into finally doing a deeper dive into learning music.
So far, I love that he incorporated videos and music samples to the "book." It makes some of the concepts easier to understand. I just bought the "book" which is really an online course rather than a physical book. Hopefully I'll be able to grasp some of the more advanced concepts.

Has anyone bought his book or this version of it? I'm curious as to what others think of it or got out of it.

I bought the book a while ago and have used it more as a reference than a learning tool. Was wondering actually if it's worth the upgrade $ to get the online version. I do like RBs theory vids but I don't personally find him to be a great teacher in terms of maintaining an even, methodical, and logical teaching flow that connects
the dot's without gaps. Others I've found seem to do that better (ie Steve Stein / Hunter Mac Dermut) but I've not purchased many others' material.

I bought the book a while ago and have used it more as a reference than a learning tool. Was wondering actually if it's worth the upgrade $ to get the online version. I do like RBs theory vids but I don't personally find him to be a great teacher in terms of maintaining an even, methodical, and logical teaching flow that connects the dots without gaps. Others I've found seem to do that better (ie Steve Stein / Hunter MacDermut, Steve Gilson) but I've not purchased others' material.

Last edited:
I bought the 2.0 book. I could follow along with all the stuff I already knew, but, it's really just a reference guide to me. It's really hard to learn anything. YMMV
Because I already bought the book, the online version was $20. It is nice that I don't have to find the related videos. I've only viewed up to #37, but the videos help. I don't regret the purchases and hope to glean more as I progress.
I asked him a while back if there was a forum for us to post questions, etc. There isn't one. That would be a big help, since a lot of folks could fill in some of the gaps that teachers tend to assume you already know. We don't. Plus, he puts his own spin on things, which is cool if you already know the original spin.

I bought the book a while ago and have used it more as a reference than a learning tool. Was wondering actually if it's worth the upgrade $ to get the online version. I do like RBs theory vids but I don't personally find him to be a great teacher in terms of maintaining an even, methodical, and logical teaching flow that connects the dots without gaps. Others I've found seem to do that better (ie Steve Stein / Hunter MacDermut, Steve Gilson) but I've not purchased others' material.

You worded what I was thinking perfectly! I will look for the other instructors that you mentioned as well.

Thanks for all the replies! I do like the Interactive Book and don't regret the purchase so far. It makes sense what you're all saying as I do have to look for specific topics and go from there rather than "Start here, then..." He does mention that it's a textbook and not meant to be read from front to back. I guess I still need to find a reference source that is better at connecting the dots. Hopefully the recs that Sprint gave will help. 😎

You worded what I was thinking perfectly! I will look for the other instructors that you mentioned as well.

Thanks for all the replies! I do like the Interactive Book and don't regret the purchase so far. It makes sense what you're all saying as I do have to look for specific topics and go from there rather than "Start here, then..." He does mention that it's a textbook and not meant to be read from front to back. I guess I still need to find a reference source that is better at connecting the dots. Hopefully the recs that Sprint gave will help. 😎
Most, including RB and Steve Stine (guitar zoom) will have some free trial content so you can see how it is for you. Learning is such a personal thing - what's not good for one can be vrery good for another ... Not even sure if the last 2 I mentioned have any paid content - their free stuff just resonated with me - I found Gilson's vid on playing all over the neck via the visualization of the same 3 moving box shapes actually worked for me and quickly got me noodling laterally in any key where as other ways of conceptualizing didn't "take" for me. The same concept can be told to me umpteen times with limited affect (and/or hi levels of thinky pain) - till that one flavour of presentation comes along that resonates and clicks.

I found videos on YouTube from all three and am enjoying Steve Stine’s the most so far. I’ve seen some of his videos before but I wasn’t really paying attention as I wasn’t intent on picking up some new knowledge at the time. For some background, I‘m very comfortable with theory but would like to dig in deeper now. I get what you’re saying about particular instructors resonating with some and not others.

I found that learning music theory is a lot like learning electronics or math. The fundamentals are really, really, really (did I say really?) important. Rick's book is nearly 500 pages long. But THE most important pages of all of those are the first 12. It is very, very important that every single term and the relationships that those terms describe in those first 12 pages is thoroughly understood with no "gaps" whatsoever in that understanding. That doesn't mean just memorizing it, it means really taking the time to think it through forwards and backwards and even meditating on it in as many ways as you possibly can to really grasp how the different intervals feel within musical movement.

As a part of that process, read additional material about how the history of the Western form of music came about in the first place and why the human brain responds to it in the way that it does. It's not really that complicated in the end. There are only 12 notes whose fundamental relationships are defined in just 12 pages. But there is a lot going on in those first 12 pages in terms of how those 12 notes can move amongst themselves in an almost infinite way in musical composition.

Rick isn't going to do this for you in most of his material. But I guarantee you that if you really master those first 12 pages and everything that it implies including how these concepts map to real polyphonic instruments like both the piano and then a little differently to the guitar, you will get so much more out of all the rest of Rick's material. He makes the assumption that you really, really get what the 12 tone intervals and harmonic relationships are and how we perceive different meanings in them. That insight really needs to become first nature to you like just breathing before you can go on. That is why it is difficult to follow him as he sometimes rips through concepts that are all so critically piled on top of those fundamentals.

It does get more complicated as you build understanding. But you have no hope if you just gloss through those first 12 pages. Maintaining that "Beginner's Mind" perspective is critical. His ear training thing is also a very important part of it too. It really helps to get that intrinsic feel for intervals by actually hearing different ones over and over again. If you have ever watched how Rick can seemingly so easily deconstruct the harmonic structure of say a Pat Metheny piece that is full of quite complicated movement, then you know that there is a real payoff to getting yourself even close to Rick's level of fundamental understanding of intervals and how interval passages can begin and end in their movement through time. INTERVALS, INTERVALS, INTERVALS! Just look at what he has helped to teach his son to do if you haven't seen those videos!

Just my two cents. Rick doesn't even know me. But personally, he has helped me a lot in my musical journey.

I found that learning music theory is a lot like learning electronics or math. The fundamentals are really, really, really (did I say really?) important. Rick's book is nearly 500 pages long. But THE most important pages of all of those are the first 12. It is very, very important that every single term and the relationships that those terms describe in those first 12 pages is thoroughly understood with no "gaps" whatsoever in that understanding. That doesn't mean just memorizing it, it means really taking the time to think it through forwards and backwards and even meditating on it in as many ways as you possibly can to really grasp how the different intervals feel within musical movement.

As a part of that process, read additional material about how the history of the Western form of music came about in the first place and why the human brain responds to it in the way that it does. It's not really that complicated in the end. There are only 12 notes whose fundamental relationships are defined in just 12 pages. But there is a lot going on in those first 12 pages in terms of how those 12 notes can move amongst themselves in an almost infinite way in musical composition.

Rick isn't going to do this for you in most of his material. But I guarantee you that if you really master those first 12 pages and everything that it implies including how these concepts map to real polyphonic instruments like both the piano and then a little differently to the guitar, you will get so much more out of all the rest of Rick's material. He makes the assumption that you really, really get what the 12 tone intervals and harmonic relationships are and how we perceive different meanings in them. That insight really needs to become first nature to you like just breathing before you can go on. That is why it is difficult to follow him as he sometimes rips through concepts that are all so critically piled on top of those fundamentals.

It does get more complicated as you build understanding. But you have no hope if you just gloss through those first 12 pages. Maintaining that "Beginner's Mind" perspective is critical. His ear training thing is also a very important part of it too. It really helps to get that intrinsic feel for intervals by actually hearing different ones over and over again. If you have ever watched how Rick can seemingly so easily deconstruct the harmonic structure of say a Pat Metheny piece that is full of quite complicated movement, then you know that there is a real payoff to getting yourself even close to Rick's level of fundamental understanding of intervals and how interval passages can begin and end in their movement through time. INTERVALS, INTERVALS, INTERVALS! Just look at what he has helped to teach his son to do if you haven't seen those videos!

Just my two cents. Rick doesn't even know me. But personally, he has helped me a lot in my musical journey.
well said! thankyou - I'm inspired to go thru those 12 pages again. As somewhat of a novice in music theory I 100% agree about the fundamentals as I've gone back to square one a few times after "overshooting". Being a somewhat ocd'd technically oriented person, my challenge has always been that I seem to need solid basics before I can progress further - one fuzzy concept and I lose the whole thing - but if I have it, I have it and progress strongly. For me, square one goes right back to "why these 7 notes?" - stumbling around a couple years ago I
found this rather odd video (actually there is a set of them on that channel called "origins...") which, despite their oddness, have been a good square1 reset for me (combined with listening to intervals). Each time I reset and relearn everything I've taken in so far + a bit more, I seem to get a little farther into the whole pile.

Jazz is an alien language that I would love to have an understanding of!
The Beato Book Interactive is an online website. I’m trying to figure out what the first “12 pages” are…
I was referring to the book pages. But the online version starts in the same place and covers it the first 7 sections.

It's a deceptively small part of the rest of it. But you will find yourself going back over those sections again and again as you try to move on from there. Section 8 starts the actual building process upon those fundamentals.

Last edited:
found this rather odd video (actually there is a set of them on that channel called "origins...") which, despite their oddness, have been a good square1 reset for me (combined with listening to intervals). Each time I reset and relearn everything I've taken in so far + a bit more, I seem to get a little farther into the whole pile.

Holy crap! 4, 1, 5, 2, 6, 3, 7… That’s some Illuminati level Info!

Holy crap! 4, 1, 5, 2, 6, 3, 7… That’s some Illuminati level Info!
ya - I don't know quite what to make of it - maybe it's all nonsence, but I followed the 4 or 5 video segments there and felt like it made enough sense of what I would call fundamemtal fundamentals (from "why these 7 notes" up to circle of 5ths), for me to go further into other sources like Beatobook, Gilson... I've rewatched those vids a few times to get myself back on track when things go fuzzy again.

Gonna give RB's 1st 12 pages a try for my next brain reset on music theory.

ya - I don't know quite what to make of it - maybe it's all nonsence, but I followed the 4 or 5 video segments there and felt like it made enough sense of what I would call fundamemtal fundamentals (from "why these 7 notes" up to circle of 5ths), for me to go further into other sources like Beatobook, Gilson... I've rewatched those vids a few times to get myself back on track when things go fuzzy again.

Gonna give RB's 1st 12 pages a try for my next brain reset on music theory.

I love this stuff! It's like the Fibonacci sequence/Golden Ratio.
Theory is the heart of music and I think learning it is more valuable than amassing gear. It blows my mind when I learn a new style of music and it's played on my same guitar (blues to flamenco, etc). I look at my instrument in a new way each time.

Back
Top Bottom