Beatles Get Back

I’ve only seen snippets. But 2 moments blew me away for different reasons. First was Paul and Ringo sitting there and you here Paul say, “and then there were two.” - with Ringo appearing to tear up. And second, this . . .

See, it’s stuff like this that makes me love Paul and how down to earth he is. Remarkable really, when you consider how famous he is.

I have seen this a few times now and re-watched it, twice, after watching Get Back. Paul McCartney and James Corden are absolutely hilarious! Paul is such a good sport and he's so down to earth but at the same time, he knows who he is and what his music means to people. You get a glimpse of what it must have been like to be in The Beatles and go out in public. Here we are 50 some years later and he's still mobbed by loving fans.

Like everyone on the planet…well, 99% anyway, I’ve always been a big fan of The Beatles music (solo careers included). I have to say though, after watching Get Back, I’ve really fallen in love with their music and even more so, the Beatles themselves. Their sheer talent and brilliance was on full display during the entire movie. It was also a great way to really get to know them personally (Lennon and McCartney were hilarious), well as much as possible without personally knowing them.

I’ve only seen snippets. But 2 moments blew me away for different reasons. First was Paul and Ringo sitting there and you here Paul say, “and then there were two.” - with Ringo appearing to tear up. And second, this . . .

The way they evolve their ideas on the fly is so cool. Constantly iterating and trying stuff, lots of which doesn't stick, but they just keep going. Paul on rhythm guitar/bass to get an idea across, to himself and to the others, improvised harmonies, everything.

I've only seen the first episode so far, but it's great, and really enhances my already huge respect for them, as a band, and as individuals.

Really a singular combination of people and circumstances.

The way they evolve their ideas on the fly is so cool. Constantly iterating and trying stuff, lots of which doesn't stick, but they just keep going. Paul on rhythm guitar/bass to get an idea across, to himself and to the others, improvised harmonies, everything.
I think Rick Beato said it best. They go into the studio every day, like most people would go into an office to do their job. They arrive in the morning, eat some toast, pick up their instruments and like you said, they are constantly trying stuff. They get stuck, move onto something else, then come back to it. They break for lunch, come back, do more of the same, then go home. Lennon then comes in the next day, with new songs and new lyrics. So cool to watch.

Oh ya...watching Let It Be being played on the piano by McCartney, for what I believe was the first time in front of the other band members, was absolutely magical. Even if you had never heard it before, you just knew it was special! Of course you could say that for most of their songs, but there was just something so powerful in the notes on the piano, the vocals and the lyrics, even though he was humming most of them because he didn't have all the lyrics yet.

Last edited:
And by and large, they keep their senses of humor, and onward! attitudes throughout, while dealing with the insanity of the The Beatles in the world of the time.

And I don't think they planned any of this, it's just who they were.

i think something (in the way she moves) gets lost here and that's some of the fine print in the disclaimers at the beginning of the epic. and i paraphrase, "when only audio was available, the makers took artistic liberties to best convey the events as happened." maybe it's just me, but there's just something (in the way she moves) still not right with what we are seeing and hearing. a lot of time during the epic the audio does not sync up, does not even match, what we are seeing on screen, reinforcing the disclaimers. and, i swear i was seeing the same awkward reaction shots, glares and sneers, all the 'benny hill face' over and over and over, fueling the maker's perceptions. no, i for one, don't buy it. and i'm sticking to it.
--ricky debunker

'benny hill face', attached for example. :)

benny.png

My favorite part is when they are discussing plans for building the seating for the show. John is interested in transparent scaffolding to help with sight lines, and a number of people are reviewing production sketches. Meanwhile, in the background, Paul is at the piano, working out the first tentative ideas for a new song that would become Let It Be.

Just finished this…
A couple of thoughts…I still don’t understand the value of Yoko’s noise.
But, for a group that wrote hit after hit about love, watching John with Yoko in love was joyful.
The world is full of people who’ve never found true love…

I can't believe they were only 24 yrs old. They accomplished so much by then. It was cool to see them jamming on their old songs too when they were bored. I also was impressed with the civility they had with each other, knowing this was the last one. The 'digs' they got in were very mild and restrained.

A few thoughts:

1) Paul never shuts the fuck up! Seriously! And you can tell it is hard for him to listen to the ideas of others.

2) George has to be the most sensitive and insecure lead guitarist of all time. That poor little guy. You can
feel him wanting more of a voice in songwriting, and pushing for it, and how inferior someone like Clapton
made him feel as a guitarist.

3) Ringo can't recreate any of the drums ideas/rhythms that others in the band try to get him to. It's like this,
"Bam, Poo, Cha." Ringo. Doesn't. Get. it. :)

4) That Les Paul George is playing. Wow. Never seen him on a Les Paul before. I wonder if it was a 1968, the
first year that Gibson reissued the singlecut LP.

5) They didn't nail all of their harmonies. Not even close. They even struggled in finding them and arranging them.
That gives me a lot of hope.

6) George on a Fender VI. I want one. :)

7) Someone discovered the Wah pedal. Always on!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom