Beatles Get Back

After watching the whole thing, I was grinning like the 5 year old fan of The Beatles that I once was.

Most bands are greater than the sum of their individual members. The push and pull of the creative process is really on display in this documentary and shows, for all the collective egos involved, how they all worked on reinforcing and improving each other's works.

Paul giving Ringo impromptu bass lessons for a jam. George and Ringo banging stuff out on piano. John and George showing themselves to be competent Fender VI players when needed. Billy Preston futzing with the primitive synth toy. Hearing them harmonize on All Things Must Pass. Paul singing one of Lennon's songs. It's all such good stuff.

I know they all felt a burden of "the legacy", but part of me wishes they did solo albums to get things out of their system and then reconvened later in the 70s to collaborate again and just didn't care about the weight of those expectations. It's a shame that the break up feuds couldn't be mended prior to John's murder.

After watching the whole thing, I was grinning like the 5 year old fan of The Beatles that I once was.

Most bands are greater than the sum of their individual members. The push and pull of the creative process is really on display in this documentary and shows, for all the collective egos involved, how they all worked on reinforcing and improving each other's works.

Paul giving Ringo impromptu bass lessons for a jam. George and Ringo banging stuff out on piano. John and George showing themselves to be competent Fender VI players when needed. Billy Preston futzing with the primitive synth toy. Hearing them harmonize on All Things Must Pass. Paul singing one of Lennon's songs. It's all such good stuff.

I know they all felt a burden of "the legacy", but part of me wishes they did solo albums to get things out of their system and then reconvened later in the 70s to collaborate again and just didn't care about the weight of those expectations. It's a shame that the break up feuds couldn't be mended prior to John's murder.

Great last point there. I feel that’s what George was going for when was talking to John saying how he has so many songs it would fill his quota for the next 10 years. He then muses about doing a solo album and then they can always go back to the “Beatle thing.”

I signed up for Disney+ and let my other streaming services expire just for this!! Can't wait. :)
I've been going through streaming services lately - I just get each one for a month so it's $5-15 for a season of a show and I can watch some other stuff while I have it. So HBO for a month to get Dune, now I've got AppleTV for Foundation, later I'll get Disney for this. Guess I'll have to get HBO again for the new Matrix...

For those that have seen Get Back. What are your thoughts on this statement/article?

“The world owes Yoko an apology! 10 things we learned from The Beatles: Get Back”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...JmDMifAsD3E0sRbPBU68Brrr4U#Echobox=1638463771
It's interesting. I was feeling that way until George left the band and The Beatles and their significant others had an off camera meeting at George's house on a Sunday where supposedly Yoko was very vocal and the meeting imploded.

It took another meeting also off camera to bring him back in.

What was said at both meetings, we will never know, but it made me suspicious that the almost silent and demure Yoko we saw when the cameras were on was not always how she was off camera.

For those that have seen Get Back. What are your thoughts on this statement/article?

“The world owes Yoko an apology! 10 things we learned from The Beatles: Get Back”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...JmDMifAsD3E0sRbPBU68Brrr4U#Echobox=1638463771
This is to the point of the articles coming out saying "Yoko is innocent." True - she seems innocent enough in the Get Back footage. But - just because she's tame on camera, doesn't mean she was tame off camera. I'm fairly certain I read a Lennon interview in which he stated Yoko told him he didn't need Paul - he was better than Paul. That's alienation. So - I'm not buying this crap that she's innocent since she didn't say/do anything incriminating on a 3 part documentary...

This is to the point of the articles coming out saying "Yoko is innocent." True - she seems innocent enough in the Get Back footage. But - just because she's tame on camera, doesn't mean she was tame off camera. I'm fairly certain I read a Lennon interview in which he stated Yoko told him he didn't need Paul - he was better than Paul. That's alienation. So - I'm not buying this crap that she's innocent since she didn't say/do anything incriminating on a 3 part documentary...
SOP for narcissistic types to isolate their mark. They are like the chihuahua in the meme:
wife-at-home-memes.jpg

Dang! Why’s it have to be on Disney. I dislike those greedy bloodsuckers to some degree. And will hope it makes out to other streamers some day. I’m jealous. Dammit.

Spot on about Yoko. She’s there, but there are lots of people moving in and out of the proceedings. She wasn’t intrusive.

She may not have been intrusive but she was obnoxiously painful. I absolutely loved this documentary but I will say I had an upper respiratory infection which kicked my butt in regards to coughing, etc. It kept me at home and allowed me to watch it but the smoking those guys did played serious mental tricks on my brain while gasping for air anyway.

Watched part 1 the other night and was very surprised how much I liked it being that I OD'd on Beatles when I was a kid, found the creative process similar to many bands I have been in over the years so that was very refreshing including the spat's, particularly liked how the songs come together (no pun intended) as the episode progresses, cant wait to watch other 2.

I finished this today and, as a big Beatles fan, thought it was fantastic. Let It Be has always been one of my favourites, but now it’s no.1. Listening to it today after watching the documentary and all the insights just made it sooooo much better.
Getting an insight into probably the biggest band of all time was compelling viewing for me. I could have watched all 150hrs. The only negative I’d say was how they seemed to wrap it up very quickly after the roof top performance. That last day should have had at least as much coverage as the others, if not more.

I’ve always gravitated towards John Lennon as my favourite Beatle, even as a kid, but the weird thing is, I always want to root for Paul as any later interview/documentary I’ve seen, he seems like such a nice, down to earth and genuine person. I could listen to his Beatles, and any, stories all day. But, again, watching this (even with the benefit of hindsight) I find myself seeing him as a bit of a villain. Even though I totally get where his frustration is coming from.
Seeing those moments where that Lennon/McCartney magic clicks was pure joy for me. Even before the text came on the screen, I got goosebumps when they played the take that made it onto the album. It also showed how important Ringo and George were and you really feel for George and his frustrations.

I couldn’t help but pickup a Tele and dial in a preset with the 70’s Silverface on the AFX3 this afternoon and play along with the album. Sounded glorious.

I finished this today and, as a big Beatles fan, thought it was fantastic. Let It Be has always been one of my favourites, but now it’s no.1. Listening to it today after watching the documentary and all the insights just made it sooooo much better.
Getting an insight into probably the biggest band of all time was compelling viewing for me. I could have watched all 150hrs. The only negative I’d say was how they seemed to wrap it up very quickly after the roof top performance. That last day should have had at least as much coverage as the others, if not more.

I’ve always gravitated towards John Lennon as my favourite Beatle, even as a kid, but the weird thing is, I always want to root for Paul as any later interview/documentary I’ve seen, he seems like such a nice, down to earth and genuine person. I could listen to his Beatles, and any, stories all day. But, again, watching this (even with the benefit of hindsight) I find myself seeing him as a bit of a villain. Even though I totally get where his frustration is coming from.
Seeing those moments where that Lennon/McCartney magic clicks was pure joy for me. Even before the text came on the screen, I got goosebumps when they played the take that made it onto the album. It also showed how important Ringo and George were and you really feel for George and his frustrations.

I couldn’t help but pickup a Tele and dial in a preset with the 70’s Silverface on the AFX3 this afternoon and play along with the album. Sounded glorious.

I bought a Tele last week because of Get Back.

Will watch episode II tonight, no spoiler alerts please... lol wondering how Lennon and McCartney will get po'ed Harrison to do a gig on a building roof... LOL never understood that f-n roof... hope they explain that s~

See, it’s stuff like this that makes me love Paul and how down to earth he is. Remarkable really, when you consider how famous he is.

Back
Top Bottom