Beatles Get Back

Girlfriends and wives hanging with their men while they rehearse with their band all have the same face. :)

John Lennon tracking Get Back, "I can't remember why I stopped getting solos."

The rest of the band and Glyn Johns trying to get Paul to play something
other than that crappy Hohner Bass. Paul, "I like it because it is light."

A few thoughts:

1) Paul never shuts the fuck up! Seriously! And you can tell it is hard for him to listen to the ideas of others.

2) George has to be the most sensitive and insecure lead guitarist of all time. That poor little guy. You can
feel him wanting more of a voice in songwriting, and pushing for it, and how inferior someone like Clapton
made him feel as a guitarist.

3) Ringo can't recreate any of the drums ideas/rhythms that others in the band try to get him to. It's like this,
"Bam, Poo, Cha." Ringo. Doesn't. Get. it. :)

4) That Les Paul George is playing. Wow. Never seen him on a Les Paul before. I wonder if it was a 1968, the
first year that Gibson reissued the singlecut LP.

5) They didn't nail all of their harmonies. Not even close. They even struggled in finding them and arranging them.
That gives me a lot of hope.

6) George on a Fender VI. I want one. :)

7) Someone discovered the Wah pedal. Always on!!

Glyn Johns was clearly the basis for Austin Powers.

merlin_198975813_2bb0e6de-ae13-4717-a17b-de57cc0bc565-superJumbo.jpg

Great watch. I had started it sooner, but last night I ended up staying up until 6:30 in the morning
and watched the entire last 6 hours. It was kind of insane to watch how many takes they would do
of songs, and how drained they all would get after dozens of takes. They literally hammered themselves
to death trying to get the one right live take. No doubt your voice gets trashed after a day of that, which
is something mentioned by John a few times.

I ended up getting out of my chair and standing when they did that rooftop show. What a fitting fucking
climax to the amazing journey that was The Beatles. They were freezing their asses off, could barely fret
a guitar it was so cold, and just like a lot of us, John needed someone to hold the lyrics to Dig A Pony,
because he didn't know them. Just regular dudes for whom the stars were definitely aligned. :)

Back
Top Bottom