Beat sync / Metronome out

fret

Experienced
I'm wondering how to sync up my drummer with the beat of the axefx. Say I had a patch with a tremolo running and I want to keep that in sync with the drummer... either he follows my beat/tempo or I get the axefx to follow his click.

If the metronome can be routed through a separate output (out2?) I could just give him a feed of that in his cans... i.e.
Gtr amp/fx -> out1
Metronome only -> out2

Otherwise can the axefx sync to some sort of MIDI signal to keep the trem in time with an external source?

FYI beat sync is not the same as tempo sync... you can have exactly the same tempo and still be offset into the beat of another instrument.

e.g. the bass in this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_E5ae9ZTwk
(Live this is done using a ModFactor slaved to the drummers click via MIDI)

Last edited:
Another idea that I think will work, though I haven't verified it: Use the looper in your patch, but don't feed it any input (unless you want), drop a mixer block after it and direct its output to only go to Out2, which you'll feed to the drummer.

Another idea that I think will work, though I haven't verified it: Use the looper in your patch, but don't feed it any input (unless you want), drop a mixer block after it and direct its output to only go to Out2, which you'll feed to the drummer.

Metronome gets sent directly to Out 1 only, not from looper block.

The alignment of tempo-based FX will be random relative to the tempo LED or tap tempo CCs. To do what you're describing, you'll probably want an external click source that can also send a CC to start the LFO (use Control menu LFOs w/ modifier on run control) at the beginning of the part, and quickly stop/restart once in a while after that if you run into drift. Or with the pan/trem block's automatic restart, have it bypassed then engage on the beat.

Hi

i tried to sync my axe fx to midiclock code several times and it always is a little bit out of sync, with an offset, exactly like you described.

thanks to JohnLutz for recommending the Visual Sound Time Bandit. it would be ace if that little helper will work, but here is another hint

quite some time ago, someone in the german musikerboard told me a little trick (thanks joerg) and if you dont want to tap in the tempo, that you can programm a triggered tremolo using the envelope filter in the axe fx and the LF01 Sync in the effectblock
so, the tremolo effect is synced to LFO1, and the LFO1 will be triggered by the Envelope! voila
now the tremolo will be in sync to your playing, and so as long as you play in sync with your drummer you will be fine ;)

you can do alot of powerfull things with the envelope and lfo functions!

now, by reading all that, i got an idea, what about using the same lfo and envelope programming to trigger the tremolo, but instead of having the input 1 of the guitar signal send the trigger, send send a clicktrack into Input 2 of the Axe and use that to trigger the envelope?? curious about if that will work, to bad i´m not at home to try it out

cheers
exoslime

Try a "Metronome Patch" with in your preset

I'm wondering how to sync up my drummer with the beat of the axefx. Say I had a patch with a tremolo running and I want to keep that in sync with the drummer... either he follows my beat/tempo or I get the axefx to follow his click.

If the metronome can be routed through a separate output (out2?) I could just give him a feed of that in his cans... i.e.
Gtr amp/fx -> out1
Metronome only -> out2

I was looking for the same thing you are: metronome only on output 2. I did a search through the forum after remembering someone posted a comment on a "metronome patch".

I recently implemented an idea from the following post: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-wish-list/50837-metronome.html#post654991

On the axe-fx2 I used the following settings:

Take the Synth block select "Square" for the type and set tracking to "off"
Attach a modifier to the synth level control.

Use source LFO 1A:
min -80dB
max 3.5dB
start at 62.2%
mid 0%
end 0%
slope 100%
scale 10
offset -100%

On the controller page set the LFO1 to the following
tempo 1/4
type "saw up"
output b phase 0 deg
duty 1.0%
depth 100%
quantize OFF

I send this "metronome click" to output 2 via the FXLoop block. This is the only signal on output 2 and is sent to the band's in ear system. The click is representative of the tempo set in my preset.

Adding the synth block and the FXLoop block to my presets increased my CPU load about 10% (according to Axe-Edit) ... a price I was willing to pay to have my drummer (and band mates) receiving a click that was originating from my Axe preset tempo.

YMMV

Capture.JPG

Capture%2002.JPG

Capture%2003.JPG

Back
Top Bottom