Wish Beat scanner/Tempo detection

What's special about a beat scanner? What's its benefit, compared to just tapping the Tap button?

Yes, I get that, but what’s so difficult about tapping?

It's not about the difficulty. unlike Kemper, I would suggest an on / off function. then you do not always have to be near the board, so you can use the stage without worrying about speed changes
while you play.

What would make this feature convenient for me is, if you hit tap tempo ONCE - and that set it to listen mode, then you could walk away and play and all your delays (or wahtever assigned to the function) would always be in time with what you were playing.

Great idea. +1.

I’ll take a bet that a beat scanner sometimes guesses/calculates wrong, where just tapping is always right.

I think a real time BPM analyzer would be really cool.

I had a Free the Tone Flight Time delay pedal which has a bpm analyzer/mic built into it. You could set it to adjust the bpm on the fly within a given range.

If the track tempo started to speed up or slow down a bit, it adjusted the delay tempo, keeping things nicely in sync.

This would also be really cool with using the looper block with other live musicians, as your loop could stay in sync with the band, and everyone wouldn’t be a slave to the loop.

Wouldn’t replace a tap tempo function, but very useful not having to keep retapping on tempo changes.

I used to have a hardware bpm to midi sync box a few years ago. You could play a track from an audio source, or input from a live drummer, and have a midi drum machine, effects unit play in time with it. Really cool.

Plus, with a good real-time bpm analyzer you can do easier on the fly looping of a given number of bars, without the need to stat and stop, just hit a button to loop for say 4 measures and keep on playing.

All this might be a bit new for a lot of guitar players, but coming from a dj/synth background it’s really useful stuff and could add a lot of cool new tricks to the Axe

It’s tricky

Some units average 3 taps, some require more, some measure on the release of the switch

I’d much rather have a unit listen to the rhythm and set my tempo automatically, and then I’ll just tell it if I’m playing dotted 8ths etc

I used to play the Flight Time along with backing tracks, live stuff etc, and it’s really surprising how much the tempo can speed up or slow down

Unless you’ve got a drummer playing to a click, they all seem to shift a bit, unless they are really really good, lol.

Plus, with a good real-time bpm analyzer you can do easier on the fly looping of a given number of bars, without the need to stat and stop, just hit a button to loop for say 4 measures and keep on playing.
What a brilliant idea. I think one of the reasons I don't use a looper more is that you basically have to give it way too much attention. Stop what you're doing, change the tone, engage the looper at EXACTLY the right moment, stop it at exactly the right moment with the right button to make it either overdub, stop, play once, play eternally, etc.

I think you're on to something huge here. A smart BPM analyser that can utilize the looper; not only increasing the functional usefulness of anything tied to the BPM, but also making a truly sophisticated looper worthy of Fractal Audio Systems.

It doesn't even exist yet and I'm excited for it.

+1 (again).

Having a "drum machine" change tempo on the fly is one thing, but pitched stuff like guitar will change pitch. I'm not sure this is a short useful idea. I'd certainly try it out though!

Having a "drum machine" change tempo on the fly is one thing, but pitched stuff like guitar will change pitch. I'm not sure this is a short useful idea. I'd certainly try it out though!
Where would that happen? People use tap tempo all the time and it doesn't affect the pitch (except in certain delay models/settings). This is just a different method to do the same thing.

+1. Tapping a tempo is difficult when you are the anti-Fred-Astaire. Holding a button and tapping on my guitar strings would be much more likely to approach accurate....

I’m apparently one of the foot-tap challenged as well. Neither the “last two” nor the “average” setting seem to get me as precise as I’d like. And I don’t use the looper for the same reason @decreebass mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom