AFIII "Beat It" - Solo Cover

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
So my girlfriend has been asking me for a long time to cover Eddie Van Halen’s solo to Beat It from Michael Jackson. I know it’s probably weird, but until now, I’ve never learned this! It’s not perfect, but it’s a fun one! Also I’m not going to lie, I am not good at tapping, or anything whammy bar, so that’s probably why I resisted learning this one for so long.
All the guitars here are me, backing track is from YouTube. Gear was my Suhr Modern into my Axe-Fx III, using the pitch block(Virtual Capo) to tune me down 1/2 step (I’m in standard tuning).

Last edited:
That was awesome!!! What was your signal chain?
I used some of the tricks I saw on the forum posts after the Pete Thorn video covering Steve Vai's old Jose modded Marshall came out, like using the Tube Pre block to boost the Plexi. PEQ and GEQ blocks are from an 80s preset from Progressive Rocco. Cabs are all Ownhammer's Marshall 412 and Friedman 412, you can see them in the pic below. I like a Dual delay, 602 and 460 ms.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 12.30.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 12.30.10 PM.png
    363.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 12.29.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 12.29.56 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 37
Almost as much fun to watch someone play as it is to hear. Eddie is great at incorporating fun/strange techniques in his playing and you captured it quite well!

Almost as much fun to watch someone play as it is to hear. Eddie is great at incorporating fun/strange techniques in his playing and you captured it quite well!
Thank you so much for the kind words! This one is way outside my comfort zone, but i'm happy with how it came out!

Back
Top Bottom