Beat Buddy MIDI sync to AX8 looper anyone

YOGA64

Inspired
Has anyone tried to sync a BEAT BUDDY drum machine pedal to the looper of the AX-8?

I mean using the BEAT BUDDY as master and AX-8 as slave.

BEAT BUDDY sends midi clock and start stop messages, wondering if it works and if the sync is stable.

Thanks for all your help.

No workie...although the AX8 has MIDI CC messages for the looper it can receive which allows a loop to play, record etc...the beatbuddy only receives MIDI CC messages and cannot transmit them. So starting and stopping the beat buddy has no affect on the looper in the AX8.

I have tried connecting them and unfortunately it does not work...

Same here...I own a Boomeramg as well...I am very impressed with the looper in the AX8 and hoped to use it in place of the Boomerang.

By the way, it's not really clear from the manual how the quantize function works.

I'm ok with the fact (I guess) that it does so according to the metronome tempo, setting it to quarter, eigth, etc. notes, but what about the number of BARS?
Can that be diasbled, meaning I don't want to quantize to a number of BARS, but I may be interested in quantizing to the nearest BEAT.

No workie...although the AX8 has MIDI CC messages for the looper it can receive which allows a loop to play, record etc...the beatbuddy only receives MIDI CC messages and cannot transmit them. So starting and stopping the beat buddy has no affect on the looper in the AX8.

I have tried connecting them and unfortunately it does not work...

Hey the new BeatBuddy-Firmware-1.85 has "full" midi, so it should be possible now to sync the looper to the Beatbuddy...!

I really hope it works, has anyone tried it, I would if I owned an AX-8, but not yet, unfortunately.

Please some kind soul report about this...

I will give it a go. I have to order the midi cable, but since it now has clock, it just might become useful to me.

Oooh.. it's quite nice actually in terms of features. Thanks for the heads up on this firmware update for the Beat Buddy! You can use the FX8 to set the tempo using CC messages (using 2 controllers to go from 40-300bpm), then run the FX8 slaving off the clock in the beatbuddy and other midi pedals. Very nice! This solves an issue for me.. I think it will work.

I was thinking about doing it the other way around:

BeatBuddy as master and AX8 looper as slave, would it work?

That's the way I use it with my Boomerang III looper.

Hello, I know this is a very old thread but I'm wondering if this works as well, I'm looking at the Beat Buddy as a main tool for acoustic solo shows but want to integrate it with the AX8 looper. So assuming BB master -> AX8 slave. I need them to sync and then the AX8 needs to understand the stop/start commands from the BB for starting / ending songs. Anyone?

@Gasp100 ,
Did you end up being able to use the BeatBuddy in the way you described above? (#11)

@FractalAudio et. al.,
I saw a video of the BB with VoiceLive3Extreme used in this manner. Should the AX8 work in a similar manner? If not, would it require a hardware change or could a firmware update make it possible?
Thanks

Just wanted to pitch in, beat buddy now supports Midi commands, with new firmware update. Which definitely should sync with AX8, but I don't think the AX8 receives start/stop midi commands yet. Not sure if it's because the beat buddy isn't sending universal start/stop commands.

Another thing you could try is the midinome, that one sends standard MIDI commands like Start (0xFA) and Stop (0xFC) same thing as the beat buddy Midi clock, with metronome, but more of an in-ear metronome, less of a drum machine also, half as cheap.

I don't have my Ax8 anymore to test it with my midinome. But as soon as I get a chance I'll repost here.

Hi, I have not purchased the beat buddy as I am now playing in a real band. The only acoustic gigs I have gotten are duo and I don't want to get into complexity of the BB just yet. Too much going on, which is a good thing!

@Gasp100 ,
Did you end up being able to use the BeatBuddy in the way you described above? (#11)

@FractalAudio et. al.,
I saw a video of the BB with VoiceLive3Extreme used in this manner. Should the AX8 work in a similar manner? If not, would it require a hardware change or could a firmware update make it possible?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom