Beard trimmers

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
I keep my beard short. Not stubble short, but short, and I shave my neck beard.

I've been using a Remington MB-300 trimmer for years, and it's not bad, but I have two gripes, wondering if there's better out there.

- Have to go over the same area multiple times to actually cut all the whiskers there. Of course trimmers need to hold the blades away from your face the amount you say, and I think the comb thingy that does that probably pushes some whiskers down, so it may not be avoidable.

- It pulls a little. Not a huge deal, and it might be just because it's old and not as sharp as it used to be, not really sure.

So, does anyone here have any recommendations?

I don't care about battery life, or even battery power at all. A trimmer tool is handy. I need to be able to set the height and have it just stay there.

I've tried so many "beard trimmers" over the years. cheap ones to expensive ones. Some straight up suck and some start out good and end up sucking. I've finally said screw spending money EVERY year on a new one. I just use regular power shears like the kind you shave your head with.

I've tried so many "beard trimmers" over the years. cheap ones to expensive ones. Some straight up suck and some start out good and end up sucking. I've finally said screw spending money EVERY year on a new one. I just use regular power shears like the kind you shave your head with.
Ha, cool. Make and model?

Conair hc108r...Walmart I think. They can irritate the neck a little but I've been using the same set for going on three years.

Wahl - Great trimmers. Not that cheap crap you get for $30 and wonder why you're bleeding.
Thanks
Pauly

I have a cheaper Wahl and it hasnt died yet (curly hair). I have done some pandemic buzzes with it as well. I do make sure I use the provided oil to clean it up every few months.

All of these look like the same basic setup, oscillating blades with a comb to keep from cutting shorter than your desired length. Do any of them actually cut pretty much all the hairs in an area in one pass? What makes one fundamentally better than another?

Last edited:
All off these look like the same basic setup, oscillating blades with a comb to keep from cutting shorter than your desired length. Do any of them actually cut pretty much all the hairs in an area in one pass? What makes one fundamentally better than another?
Probably quality and care of manufacture makes the difference. I can deffo feel the difference between any of the consumer grade beard trimmers I've had and the ones used by a pro barber. It's kinda analogous to the difference between A1 and a good steak sauce like Lee & Perrins or Crosse & Blackwells....

I've always used Phillips to trim my beard. Also an important trimmer, get yourself the Manscape 4.0 which I use for body hair and naughty bits. Never nicked myself ever again.

I own an Oster Classic 76 that I use for beard and haircuts. Great product. You can get blades down as low as "0000" (0.2 mm).

I use an Ostar Classic 76 on my head and a Wahls Little Peanut to trim around the neck, behind the ears and facial hair if I have any.

Let me ask one of my central questions again. Do any of these actually cut pretty much all the hairs in an area in one pass? Or do you have to go back over the same place several times?

With mine, it's annoying, I can see one or two specific whiskers sticking up plain as day, run the trimmer over em, they're still there. 3 or 4 runs later finally they're gone.

Like I said, I bet it's that the comb pushing them down, you just have to get lucky for that not to happen. Eventually it works, just wondering if any of these are built differently enough or "better" enough that that's not a thing.

I've got a Remington too, different one from yours. It's worked for years for my head and goatee... which I just shaved off for the first time in over 20 years...

Back
Top Bottom