Be sure to vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L9TCIuqT2KNP3xideAeQ_efren_ramirez_and_pedro_in_napoleon_dynamite%20(1).jpg

There is an old quote, I believe attributed to Stalin, that said:, It's not who votes that matters is who COUNTS the votes that matters!".

My county pisses me off.

Registered Voters: 805,502
Ballots Cast: 251,620
Voter Turnout: 31.24%

WTF!?

Listen to Dan Carlin's newest Common Sense podcast. He has an amazing take on what it would take to get citizen representation back to where it should be.

When someone calls something "common sense", you know you're being reamed.

Is Dan Carlin a published author? It seems to me that he's a podcast guy exclusively. If you are aware of transcripts of Dan's podcasts, or any documented hardcopy of his viewpoint, I'd love to read them. I just don't have the inclination right now to wade through hours of podcast material to get to the crux of his POV. I'm a bedtime/bathroom reader, so books are cool with me.

Is Dan Carlin a published author? It seems to me that he's a podcast guy exclusively. If you are aware of transcripts of Dan's podcasts, or any documented hardcopy of his viewpoint, I'd love to read them. I just don't have the inclination right now to wade through hours of podcast material to get to the crux of his POV. I'm a bedtime/bathroom reader, so books are cool with me.

I think he's pretty much just podcasts and occasional blog type posts on his website.

Short version:

He kind of launches off of the concept of crowd funding to imagine a time when a candidate that's not an entrenched politician gets enough support to actually gain access during a presidential election. This candidate would run purely on the platform of course correcting citizen representation. No gay marriage, no environment, no abortion, no immigration, none of the topics that are important, but really just serve to distract voters from the fact that we really don't have any say on things. This candidate would sign a contract from the start saying that he would accomplish the sole goal of getting citizen representation sorted out and then resign, so they would not simply be feeding the people what they want to hear in the hopes of staying in power longer.

That's skipping out on a lot of stuff, but that's the crux of it. We've got politicians that don't care about doing what is best for the people. All they care about is power and money. Until we figure out a way out of that quagmire, we're spinning our wheels voting for one "side" or the other, neither of which give a damn about us.

When someone calls something "common sense", you know you're being reamed.

Or you could not assume things based on nothing but a title. His history podcast is called Hardcore History, there's a bit of a tongue and cheek quality to the titles, obviously.

I'm going to keep this short and simple.

I refuse to realign my personal values to fit the ideology of either party we have to choose from in today's ridiculously divided political stupidity. I refuse to buy into this notion that the public of this country is divided this harshly by their own accord. In my opinion (which I value and highly respect) many people have been forced to choose a side that is "closer" to their own morals and have been convinced that these ideologically divisive beliefs are important to them. They simply are not. Sure some people may be highly conservative and others are highly liberal by nature, but most of us have the common sense to understand that this is a huge nation with a lot of different people, a lot of different ideas and goals and that we are all supposed to be allowed to think how we choose so long as it is not harming anyone else. There's also this notion out there that if something is not going right in our lives that it's either because the government isn't doing enough for us or is doing something to us. If you made an honest list of things that make your life difficult you'd find that government is way down near the bottom.....your own actions and decisions are going to determine your fate a lot more than anything that the government does.

That's the truth. None of us are guaranteed happiness, just the ability to pursue it. Personal accountability and responsibility is something that both parties use to get support. Life's hard sometimes and it isn't always fair. I'll promise you one thing right now....nothing that any politician promises you that government can do for you or that they can do for you will change that.

With all of that ranting out of the way the only thing that I care about in terms of government is that regardless of who is in office, regardless of who the majority is, regardless of silly ideology, I expect them to do the bare ass minimum to run the country. And that's not asking anything more than I expect from anyone whom I PAY to do something that they are hired to do. If I am paid to do a job you had damn well better believe that I am going to deliver. I sure as hell am not going to sit there and get in the way of my fellow employees attempts to do their job and I sure as hell am not going to sit there and point my finger at everyone else when my boss asks me why I suck at my job and lie straight to his face about my co-workers. When I look for a job I do not submit a resume that says "you should hire me because the other guy sucks".

Taking all of the partisan gamesmanship out of this midterm election the only thing that I got out of it was that if you act like a giant asshole and try to make sure that the company fails that you will not only get to keep your job, but we will hire more people like you. If you take that as a shot at the GOP or Tea Party than I am sorry because I don't care which party was doing it, but when someone goes out of their way to say that they are going to do everything they can to make sure that nothing gets done and then succeeds than it's not so much a shot as it is a verification of accomplishment.

Like I said I couldn't possibly care less which party did it or which party holds a majority or who came out ahead or who is out of a job because I don't agree with the majority of the drivel and rhetoric that comes out of their mouths. I just want people to do the job that they are paid to do. And I'm not talking about the grand bargain or something here; I'm talking about the absolute minimum that they are paid to do. That's non-partisan, non-divisive, common sense stuff that we need for our country to function.

You know we could have set a precedent with this election. If I'm on the outside looking in and seeing that this strategy worked I'm probably going to consider using it if I'm in that position. That doesn't get things done.

The funny part here is that if I was a lame duck President I'd almost certainly veto every single piece of legislation that this Congress passes. Not because I disagree with it, but just because I'd be the biggest asshole I could possibly be and the truth is that I am not auditioning for another job. After this I'm done working. I'm petty, vindictive and would derive immense pleasure from making these political hacks suffer. I'll burn this place to the damn ground. ;)

And don't worry, I'd never run for office because I know how I am. I suppose I expect more than what I'd offer from those that are elected to manage my country.

The funny part here is that if I was a lame duck President I'd almost certainly veto every single piece of legislation that this Congress passes. Not because I disagree with it, but just because I'd be the biggest asshole I could possibly be and the truth is that I am not auditioning for another job. After this I'm done working. I'm petty, vindictive and would derive immense pleasure from making these political hacks suffer. I'll burn this place to the damn ground. ;)

Exactly what is about to happen in the real world, unfortunately for us...

Our form of government is certainly flawed. Those who are elected/appointed to implement it even moreso these days, it seems. That's no reason to give up. You owe it to those who literally died for the right to be represented via the ballot, and those who fought and died to preserve that right.

May I humbly suggest that the form of government has very little to do with it (failure) when the people who implement it are so terribly flawed. No government has failed because it was fundamentally flawed, but all governments that have failed did so because of the people running them. And be sure, the leadership simply reflects the society that it represents.

I refuse to realign my personal values to fit the ideology of either party we have to choose from in today's ridiculously divided political stupidity. I refuse to buy into this notion that the public of this country is divided this harshly by their own accord. In my opinion (which I value and highly respect) many people have been forced to choose a side that is "closer" to their own morals and have been convinced that these ideologically divisive beliefs are important to them. They simply are not. Sure some people may be highly conservative and others are highly liberal by nature, but most of us have the common sense to understand that this is a huge nation with a lot of different people, a lot of different ideas and goals and that we are all supposed to be allowed to think how we choose so long as it is not harming anyone else. There's also this notion out there that if something is not going right in our lives that it's either because the government isn't doing enough for us or is doing something to us. If you made an honest list of things that make your life difficult you'd find that government is way down near the bottom.....your own actions and decisions are going to determine your fate a lot more than anything that the government does.

That's the truth. None of us are guaranteed happiness, just the ability to pursue it. Personal accountability and responsibility is something that both parties use to get support. Life's hard sometimes and it isn't always fair. I'll promise you one thing right now....nothing that any politician promises you that government can do for you or that they can do for you will change that.

With all of that ranting out of the way the only thing that I care about in terms of government is that regardless of who is in office, regardless of who the majority is, regardless of silly ideology, I expect them to do the bare ass minimum to run the country. And that's not asking anything more than I expect from anyone whom I PAY to do something that they are hired to do. If I am paid to do a job you had damn well better believe that I am going to deliver. I sure as hell am not going to sit there and get in the way of my fellow employees attempts to do their job and I sure as hell am not going to sit there and point my finger at everyone else when my boss asks me why I suck at my job and lie straight to his face about my co-workers. When I look for a job I do not submit a resume that says "you should hire me because the other guy sucks".

Taking all of the partisan gamesmanship out of this midterm election the only thing that I got out of it was that if you act like a giant asshole and try to make sure that the company fails that you will not only get to keep your job, but we will hire more people like you. If you take that as a shot at the GOP or Tea Party than I am sorry because I don't care which party was doing it, but when someone goes out of their way to say that they are going to do everything they can to make sure that nothing gets done and then succeeds than it's not so much a shot as it is a verification of accomplishment.

Like I said I couldn't possibly care less which party did it or which party holds a majority or who came out ahead or who is out of a job because I don't agree with the majority of the drivel and rhetoric that comes out of their mouths. I just want people to do the job that they are paid to do. And I'm not talking about the grand bargain or something here; I'm talking about the absolute minimum that they are paid to do. That's non-partisan, non-divisive, common sense stuff that we need for our country to function.

You know we could have set a precedent with this election. If I'm on the outside looking in and seeing that this strategy worked I'm probably going to consider using it if I'm in that position. That doesn't get things done.

And don't worry, I'd never run for office because I know how I am. I suppose I expect more than what I'd offer from those that are elected to manage my country.

I couldn't agree more with your first three paragraphs, and I also reject the notion that the "lesser of two evils" is somehow benevolent.
That said, I believe what we saw a lot of during this midterm was not so much "hire me because the other guy sucks," but rather "fire that guy because he sucks." That's a completely valid position in either the public or private sectors. As you say, people performing their jobs poorly should not retain their positions.
This is where I very gently wade into the political opinion realm, which is not what I come here to do, but merely want to briefly provide an alternative perspective...
some of us see the impeding of certain agendas as beneficial to our nation, and as such is verification of accomplishment in our eyes.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, haven't you guys seen there's a new FW out?!?!? What are you even doing here right now!

Last edited:
Not much point anymore. We are a Corporate Oligarchy, not a democratic republic.

A noble experiment, but the Supreme Court Citizen's United decision was the final nail in the coffin for our democracy. Both parties are owned by big $. One is a little more liberal on social issues, the other appears to be better at dirty tricks (voter suppression and intimidation). They both participate in gerrymandering to protect their entrenched interests.

We are now at least as corrupt at Italy, and probably as much as any penny-ante banana republic.

Sad. I loved this country and what it purported to stand for. Now it stands for unfettered greed and eternal war.

Not much point anymore. We are a Corporate Oligarchy, not a democratic republic.

A noble experiment, but the Supreme Court Citizen's United decision was the final nail in the coffin for our democracy. Both parties are owned by big $. One is a little more liberal on social issues, the other appears to be better at dirty tricks (voter suppression and intimidation). They both participate in gerrymandering to protect their entrenched interests.

We are now at least as corrupt at Italy, and probably as much as any penny-ante banana republic.

Sad. I loved this country and what it purported to stand for. Now it stands for unfettered greed and eternal war.

Mmhmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom