Wish Bbe sonic stomp

RICARH

Inspired
For me is an amazing pedal when you play at low volume in your home with an amplifier or big speakers. I have one and my mesa sounds with more punch,clarity,bass. Is amazing with distortion and your sound wins a lot.
Some people says that is an equalizer because they don't try one in real live. For me it sounds amazing and it would be icing on the cake for to much people. Thanks Fas!

It's basically just EQ/filtering. It boosts the lows and highs, essentially giving you a more mid scooped sound.

This is from the datasheet of the main IC chip that's in the Sonic Stomp.
1641872766853.png

I paid attention to people that has or had one in the past. Graphics are good but I know that I have in my house and the sound for me is amazing and nobody will convince me otherwise because I listened the diferent sounds and if something is good for me is possible that for you not. Is good to understand this, because the sound is different depending on the ears that hear it🙂

And nobody uses the Fm3 in the same situation, and I don't understand people against that idea. Is only one effect more and maybe users find it easier to manage than the PEQ and for me is diferent because I have the 2 options. Every firmware fractal add a lot of effects. One more is possible. Is very fustrated put a wish because is good for that person that he has that effect and he played in the past or nowadays with it, and people against that wish as a fractal worker.👍

People have torn them apart and figured it out, and you're right...it's not just EQ. But, it's not that far off.

Apparently it works like this: all-pass filter -> crossover network with gain controls on high & low bands -> unity gain summing amp -> (very low) high pass filter -> output buffer

The phase things that they talk about in the marketing are a result of the filters. But, the things they say about somehow compensating for speakers is BS. You can't tune/change anything about it except the high and low band gains. Their filter designs also wind up creating significant nulls at the crossover points (like basically all analog filters), and they wind up "smearing" over transients. That happens because the significantly nonlinear phase response of the filters ends up creating a situation where the high-frequency transient information isn't coincident with the start of the "tone" of the sound.

So....in practice it works like a 3-band boost-only active tone stack without a mid control that ends up softening transients.

It's absolutely not magic, and I've never heard them improve anything to my ears. But, people like what they like. If you like it, then you like it. Technically speaking, guitar amps are terrible amps (once we turn them up enough to "sound good"). And we all love them.

That being said...I wouldn't count on a model of it. It wouldn't be hard to do, but...and I'm trying to put this delicately....the Fractal guys seem obsessed with sound quality. People who are obsessive about sound quality generally hate Sonic Maximizers and pretty much write off BBE as a company because of how they market those things. It kind of turns into a vendetta. In full disclosure, I share this view.

Actually, BBE's marketing of these things initially made me completely write off other products like Trinnov, MiniDSP, Acourate, etc., just because the words for what those things do are superficially similar to the words that BBE uses to sell SMs. Except they're telling the truth. And what they can do is absolutely freaking amazing.....but it's a lot of work to get any of them to work right....very much different from turning a couple knobs. And pretty much the opposite effect on transients.

And nobody uses the Fm3 in the same situation, and I don't understand people against that idea. Is only one effect more and maybe users find it easier to manage than the PEQ and for me is diferent because I have the 2 options. Every firmware fractal add a lot of effects. One more is possible. Is very fustrated put a wish because is good for that person that he has that effect and he played in the past or nowadays with it, and people against that wish as a fractal worker.👍

No one is against the wish. :) Just the notion that those who don't like it have never used it.
I was on a waitlist to purchase the rack mount version from a music store back in the late 80s.
They were a hot item to include in your rack setup back then. If it works for some that is awesome.

Most people who have real-world experience with it in diverse settings (live and in the studio) understand
that it has its limitations and it can actually hurt your sound in the totality of a full mix (again, live or recorded)
even if it makes it seem your guitar is fuller and more clear alone.

I agree with that people but I want it for playing at home, and I have one and record sounds with my mesa boogie and sounds amazing with the backing tracks mixed with the ableton lite software and my roland quad capture

I've had both the Aural Exciter and BBE Maximizer. I haven't used them in years. A long time ago, I found that fresh tubes fixed the real issue I was having. Then I upgraded my speakers and that also helped a bunch. So, my personal experience was, if you're equipment doesn't sound good then the BBE helps.

Ah thought they were using the term enhancer for it. I haven’t use the enhancer block, thinking it was exciter, for the above reasons. Exciters could have their place but allegedly led to ear fatigue. It’s too bad they are viewed as gimmicky since scientifically they are an interesting tool. I have the aphex DI pedal it’s sweet but I have used it 1% of the time. Because it is viewed by human as a gimmick.

So....enhancer and exciter don't really have concrete meanings, AFAIK. But, in general, the whole thing could be called an exciter.

Whenever I see the word exciter in a music/audio context, I think harmonic exciter, which means distortion...and that's a large part of what all the Fractals do.

Enhancer is much more vague. What enhances a recording of Robert Shaw conducting Beethoven's 9th? Is it the same thing that enhances Death Magnetic? If you just think of it as a stereo field thing, then maybe....it just might not always be an enhancement (lay definition).

So....enhancer and exciter don't really have concrete meanings, AFAIK. But, in general, the whole thing could be called an exciter.

Whenever I see the word exciter in a music/audio context, I think harmonic exciter, which means distortion...and that's a large part of what all the Fractals do.

Enhancer is much more vague. What enhances a recording of Robert Shaw conducting Beethoven's 9th? Is it the same thing that enhances Death Magnetic? If you just think of it as a stereo field thing, then maybe....it just might not always be an enhancement (lay definition).
The Enhancer block on Fractal devices is for enhancing stereo imaging.

Back
Top Bottom