BB Preamp?

markmusicman

Experienced
Is anyone using the BB Preamp I'm trying together just a little boost without losing tone. I'm just wondering what others are doing to set their drive block up without jepordising tone. I almost have it just missing it by a bit.
Thanks

The BB and the Zendrive are the two best pedals (IMO) in the Axe.

If you have any experience with the real ones -- just dial them in the same way. Both pedals (even though the BB has more gain on tap) can be dialed back to give you a boost with an edge. A lot of country players use both (especially the Zendrive) for that.

the fet boost also works well with drive on 5, a little low cut and the volume on 7 or above. very clean and you can use the low and high cut for tone shaping or the eq

+1 for Simeon. I recently found that boosting volume in front of amp is sometime a better option because it giving a smoother drive.

If you have any experience with the real ones -- just dial them in the same way. Both pedals (even though the BB has more gain on tap) can be dialed back to give you a boost with an edge. A lot of country players use both (especially the Zendrive) for that.
I actually don't have any expierence with it, any settings would be nice, I'm have the most issue with the tone.
Thanks!

Damn, Cliff added the Zendrive too? That's got to be my favorite hardware distortion pedal. Knowing it's been added makes waiting for my AxeII even harder! :)

+1 for Simeon. I recently found that boosting volume in front of amp is sometime a better option because it giving a smoother drive.

try this - low cut at 100hz, volume on 8 and then look up the tonestack frequency in the amp block. set the mid control in the drive block to the same number and then boost it by 4db

works great with marshalls and almost any other amp you can think of

I love the BB Preamp. The defaults on the BB Pre have a low & high cut fairly close together that don't always work for me, depending on the song I often move the High cut up between 1000 and 1500, and on occasion around 2500. Start with adjusting the High cut, if this doesn't get you there, get as close as you can and then try the low cut too. This seems to work much better than the Tone knob.

How are you guys dialing in the BB? I've yet to get it to sound good...never transparent enough for me. Lot of gain, but doesn't sound that close to my real BB

See it sounds very close the Bb and Bb plus I've owned...that's where I had the disconnect from what you were saying about it in another thread.

try this - low cut at 100hz, volume on 8 and then look up the tonestack frequency in the amp block. set the mid control in the drive block to the same number and then boost it by 4db

I feel like every time I come on this forum in the past couple weeks I learn something new from you simeon, and this is a great idea. Thanks, you're the best simeon!

What a good idea.

This is something I would have never thought of, but it's so logical that I *should* have. <scurries to Axe II laughing maniacally>

LVC... welcome back... U were missing in action for a while I think.

Are you planning to update your thread on on the gigs and rigs etc etc

How are you guys dialing in the BB? I've yet to get it to sound good...never transparent enough for me. Lot of gain, but doesn't sound that close to my real BB

if you have a real BB, then surely a few minutes messing about should be able to get the axe version in the ballpark? i would imagine running guitar > BB > axe with all shunts, except the drive block would allow you to a/b them and dial the axe version in so it matches the real one. you could even use the tone match block as an analysis tool to help you "see" where the frequencies don't match up. just dial with your ears and not your eyes.

Another great approach is the one used by Fremen.

Insert an engaged Drive block (BB).
Set Drive/Tone/Level to the desired settings.
I use 0-6-10 because the amp is already distorted.

Then use Mix to dial in just the right amount of drive.

Or attach the Mix parameter to an external controller or scene controller.

here's a quick patch i just knocked up. a nice vintage sounding JM45 with 3 scenes

scene 1 - fet boost on for rhythm
scene 2 - bb pre on for lead
scene 3 - both drives off with envelope controlled rotary and extra delay for nice chording

there are two null filters - the one before the amp reduces gain for scene 3 and the one after the amp increases level for scene 2

some x/y stuff going on with the delay and reverb too

i like the BB...it's great for a real sweet midrange boost for solos :)

Attachments

• Nice JM45.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 62
here's a quick patch i just knocked up. a nice vintage sounding JM45 with 3 scenes
Nice, simeon. Nice and rich. It's he first time I've ever seen BMT and presence all pegged.

I like your choices for the enveloped rotary. It's subtle but still there.

Back
Top Bottom