Bay Area Stolen Gear: Yellow Strat, Amber Burst Les Paul

gdgross

Experienced
Just hoping to put the alert out - I'm sure there not much of a chance of recovery, but I'm putting this out there on my usual gear sites:

Had my car broken into in downtown San Francisco yesterday. Among other small things they stole my gig bag which contained toe guitars.

Les Paul: Amber Burst Classic, chrome truss rod cover with the jimmy page "zoso" symbol on it, sperzel tuners with D tuner on the low E. Also the low E was top wrapped around the tailpiece, the other 5 strings were normal, bottom wrapped. Top hat knobs.
ebyrypub.jpg

Yellow strat, Floyd rose tremolo, locking nut, SSH, black pick, 5-way, vol+single tone only. Missing the rear cavity cover, there are four springs in the cavity.
y4yve3up.jpg

If anyone sees anything in the Bay Area, pawn shop/craigslist/whatever, please email me at gdgross@gmail.com.

There was also an iPad and my UE IEMs in the gig bag unfortunately.

I live in Los Angeles and was just up there for a show Saturday afternoon, but if anyone sees/ hears anything, I'll contact the police and give them further info. Or, maybe I'll drive up and bring some street justice.

Thanks, Geoff

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

That sucks man :( thieves blow and should be punished. Did you have serial numbers for the guitars? it would help to further tighten the noose.

Yeah it's pretty maddening. I wouldn't be above some street justice if I could find the thief.

Unfortunately, I didn't record serial numbers. :-( I need to scour my photos to see if I took pics in the past, but I'm not hopeful

Yeah it's pretty maddening. I wouldn't be above some street justice if I could find the thief.

Unfortunately, I didn't record serial numbers. :-( I need to scour my photos to see if I took pics in the past, but I'm not hopeful

Ouch!

Did you have the 'Find iphone' app activated on the iPad? IIRC you can access Find iPhone from iCloud. Police don't usually respond to this info in the Bay Area, except when it was Steve Job's house broken into and equip stolen , but with the high value guitars there might be more interest (or you might be able to erase the iPad with Find iPhone).

That sucks. I wish you good luck on finding your stuff!
The bad thing is, that even if you can find your stuff on ebay or craigslist, you still have to proof that it's yours. Let that be a lesson for everyone to ALWAYS take down serial numbers on value guitars (if you bought factory new, always keep the certificate ... that's a biggest proof of ownership that you can ever have) and - much more important - never leave your stuff in your car unattended.

However, it's always good to report theft to the police, no matter how small. Even if they won't do anything. It will help you a lot in later legal actions if you can track down the thief online.

But stay away from "street justice". It will fall on your feet if you want to take legal actions later. Instead, get a friend to buy the guitars from the thief (make sure to make him buy via a written contract), then contact a lawyer. Chances are good you will get extra cash out of it for a significant loss of income due to the thievery (assuming you have paid gigs).

Last edited:
I feel your pain. I was living in an apartment in 1992 and it was broken into while I was at work. Among other things, they took my 1971 Telecaster that I had purchased for $350 (back before the vintage craze). I still mourn the loss of that guitar. I hope you are able to recover your gear.

Thanks guys. I did try the find my phone app, but they must have had it turned off, the iPad wasn't showing up.

Good idea with the buy it back and sue them later though :)

If you do track the guitars down - don't try the 'street justice', you could end up in jail or worse. If you find the serial numbers then add those to the police report. Some music stores, Guitar Center is supposed to, hold used gear for 30 days and wait for police reports describing the gear.

Back
Top Bottom