Bassman challenge

I noticed when trying to replicate sounds that there was just some top end shimmer I couldn't capture...however close you came on that, that extra transparent shimmering drive thats on that amp just aint in that patch. I hope someone figures it out...

Yeah, I mean there's some stuff going on with that video as well. I checked some of his other ones and it doesn't sound exactly the same. I think that Cliff needs to add a flip video camera mic and a plexi glass diffuser to the cab block. ;)

Seriously though I think that a lot of the shrillness that you'd hear with an amp dialed like that is blocked by that plastic, dialing it in it's either not enough or way the hell over the top to try to get the same type of ring. I'm messing with a drive block to try to get something similar to the shimmer, but its not looking very promising.

On the positive side though I discovered the room parameters and they're extremely cool. Not sure how well they'll translate to a mix or anything, but they're powerful and really help to diffuse the sound.

And just one more note, how many tube amps out there have the ability to dial in this exact tone? I'm guessing not a whole hell of a lot of them, even other bassmans. The fact that we can even get ballpark is pretty impressive.

I'd love to profile that amp with my Kemper :)
Actually I'd like to see how profiling something like that would do. I spoke to the guy and he said that the camera is adding some compression because it's so hot, but he swears that it sounds a lot better in person which to me means it sounds different. I think that we're kind of chasing something here that without a flip camera mic emulation is about as far as we can go.

I'm messing with a drive block to try to get something similar to the shimmer, but its not looking very promising.

On the positive side though I discovered the room parameters and they're extremely cool. Not sure how well they'll translate to a mix or anything, but they're powerful and really help to diffuse the sound.

true. maybe a lightly mixed paralleled fuzz with a high low cut (if you haven't already tried that) could help...

im excited about the room parameters -- if you guys can figure out that cab from that video id be floored lol

I got one more before the end of the night. To be honest I think that I'm kind of done with this for a while. Not the patch; I frickin love this latest one, but I hit that point where anything I do is taking away from what I'm liking.

Its hot....so be careful. You may need to dial the master level done a bit in the output mixer. But I think that it's got the vibe of the video, but right now I'm missing a bit of the thump. I'm PEQ'd out; never been good with them, use them as a last resort and I'm stumped. But I got a bit of the high end shimmer (I think). If I add more bass I start to mess with the gain structure and overall tone and distortion.

With all those qualifiers, its really how I like my patches where its extremely touch sensitive and works with the volume and tone knobs really well without falling apart. It does however sound like pure butt with humbuckers. Its basically a strat or nothing patch and the neck pickup is what it really shines with.

Attachments

• Bassman Blues.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 94
I loved the patch. I tried to do a tiny bit of work on the top end sizzle. Your patch was VERY VERY close. I had to turn it up (lol) to get it to my normal levels, and i put a PEQ on the backend to "fix" my room...feel free to ignore it.

Minor tweaks, MINOR! Only thing I would say is make sure the mix control on the drive pedal is dialed in so it only engages when you whack the strings (to hear what I hear).

Attachments

• Hendrix Bassman.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 80
I got one more before the end of the night. To be honest I think that I'm kind of done with this for a while. Not the patch; I frickin love this latest one, but I hit that point where anything I do is taking away from what I'm liking.

Very nice - just spent the best part of an hour playing with it! Sounds great with the neck pickup on my Fender Jazz-a-Caster...

I agree, you're never going to get that exact tone (the guy in the vid himself points to the guitar as being a key part of it) - I think the Axe can nail the vibe though. I like dialling up the sag a bit and lowering the 'transformer match' parameter to make it sound even more 'vintage-y'.

Personally I don't think this patch lacks any 'thump' but I tend to tweak more for 'in the mix' type tones and leave the bottom end for my bass!

cheers

I loved the patch. I tried to do a tiny bit of work on the top end sizzle. Your patch was VERY VERY close. I had to turn it up (lol) to get it to my normal levels, and i put a PEQ on the backend to "fix" my room...feel free to ignore it.

Minor tweaks, MINOR! Only thing I would say is make sure the mix control on the drive pedal is dialed in so it only engages when you whack the strings (to hear what I hear).
That's actually a great idea. Perhaps I could put an envelope trigger on it or something (I can't remember the terms and my lunch break is about over). I'll see if I can mess with it tonight, but got to take the wife out to dinner tonight.

Wow this is cool. This is my amp and video you are trying to copy. I don't know much about amp modeling. I was curious if you could actually get a sound off of the low quality sound that you get with YouTube videos. Thanks for the kudos. Actually, I think a lot of the sound I was getting that day was from my 1964 Strat tuned to D. That makes a big difference. Since this video, I found I had a leaky tone capacitor in the Bright channel and had to change it so in this video, the amp is not working at its peak but still sounds cool. It is a much stronger amp now that I have the preamp tube (V2) running correctly with a little less distortion. I was running through my vintage 1963 Fender reverb unit.

Wow this is cool. This is my amp and video you are trying to copy. I don't know much about amp modeling. I was curious if you could actually get a sound off of the low quality sound that you get with YouTube videos. Thanks for the kudos. Actually, I think a lot of the sound I was getting that day was from my 1964 Strat tuned to D. That makes a big difference. Since this video, I found I had a leaky tone capacitor in the Bright channel and had to change it so in this video, the amp is not working at its peak but still sounds cool. It is a much stronger amp now that I have the preamp tube (V2) running correctly with a little less distortion. I was running through my vintage 1963 Fender reverb unit.
Oh yeah, I spent quite a while trying to get close to that amp of yours there. I couldn't agree more about tuning it down to D; I barely played my strat before dropping it and I love the way that it sounds lower.

You obviously haven't been around here a whole lot, but there is a new feature coming out soon called tone matching that will take a recorded signal and try to make a preset that matches that audio clip. Previews have sounded very promising, but your clip is the first one I'm going to try to make a copy of because it sounds so great, but I think that it will be the ultimate test.

That's a great amp you've got there. Thanks for posting the videos.

Here is my take on the bassman. I have little knowledge of the AxeII and strictly went by ear from the youtube clip. Still missing the growl and that first tube hitting sound(?) but have a look at it, please~ I modded one of the previous preset DougDoppler posted :)

Attachments

• 1960 Tweed Bassman.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 22
I had posted this in another thread about a month ago but here's the audio from several revisions later. Playing aside I think I came closer but I'm still mesmerized by that tone @sthebluesman. When version 6.0 comes out maybe we can persuade you to record your amp through a good mic so that we can tone match it on the AxeFX :0) Do you have an AxeFXII as well or were you led here from the other postings around the web? I admire your dedication to vintage gear. I randomly came across your youtube clip and was stunned.

Bassman by plum-55 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

PS levipeto I like your playing and the tone

FAS Wreck vs Bassman

OK, I took a stab at this, although I started with the FAS Wreck model and tweaked it towards a Bassman so I hope that doesn't disqualify me.:D

Anyway, here's a few notes. The firmware version is 5.07. This was done on a single coil neck pickup through headphones (I normally play through a cab so I'm not sure how well this will translate to FRFR). I chose the IR's that sounded best through my headphones so feel free to change 'em up! This patch is hot and bright so you may need to use your volume and tone knobs. I tend to make all of my patches hot and bright because it's easier to dial them back then it is to boost them with the guitar. The amp in the video sounded really wet to me so I turned the Room Level parameter in the Cab block up to 100% so feel free to adjust to taste. I guess that's it, have fun!

View attachment FAS Wreck vs Bassman.syx

Back
Top Bottom