Bass Tone help - eliminate Fret Clicking but still clear

JRod4928

Power User
I've set up presets before to eliminate clicking but it ends up being too round and not clear. And other presets that are clear but has noise from fret clicking/finger sliding/string slapping. Any tips?

Here's what I followed so far. Copied and pasted from a "guest user" named Lionheart.

In this order on the grid line:

1) Amp block using the SV Bass. (Or Blackglass drive)
2) Filter block set to high-pass around 50Hz.
3) Filter block set to low-pass around 4kHz+.
4) Compressor block in Studio mode. Fast release, medium attack, 2:1 ratio.
5) Another Compressor block in Studio mode. Fast release, fast attack 4:1 ratio.
6) PEQ Block. Notch out somewhere between 60 to 80Hz to let the your drummer's kick drum cut through. Keep an eye on the 160 to 200Hz, 250 to 500Hz, and 2kHz to 4kHz ranges. Look at possibly subduing these ranges with your EQ. Most of those ranges contribute to muddiness and then the higher range can get harsh with fret noise.

Last edited:
Hi .
You don’t have eq’s already in your bass ?
They are so many parameters to consider … which bass do you have, which type of sound do you want with audio examples
Active bass got already a bunch on controls to turn down some high frequencies you seems to dislike . No need to put 2 comp and all this mess to remove some fingers noises

Hi .
You don’t have eq’s already in your bass ?
They are so many parameters to consider … which bass do you have, which type of sound do you want with audio examples
Active bass got already a bunch on controls to turn down some high frequencies you seems to dislike . No need to put 2 comp and all this mess to remove some fingers noises

What do you suggest then?

This setup sounds good. Just has some noises. I also added PEQ to reduce high frequencies at the end of the chain.

I play a Fender PJ Bass. With both pickups even.

Flea.

Jump to 13 min or 17 min

Or

https://www.studybass.com/gear/bass-effects/bass-compressor-settings

This suggests reduced attack and release would fix the initial plucking noise. But still need suggestions to address string noise from fret hand sliding. Though some of this might just be cleaning up my technique.
Strings are also really important in string noise . Do you tried different sets? In general the string noise is more present when strings are new but with the time … some guys use flat one to completely erase it , the Roto sound Steve Harris set for example .
Élixir are not noisy to me . Ernie ball are, daddario xl are great for the price and are not very noisy . Dean markley blue steel was pretty dark if I remember.
Sometimes just turning down the high eq pot directly in the bass helps . You have a Precision bass ? in this one the controls are … yep maybe check this strings story . The noise comes here first

This set is my favorite of them all. Super smooth, the strings feels new a very very long time and under your fingers the touch is super friendly. And the string noise is not huge at all

64FD0F1D-801F-4DE1-9423-3A070A49710E.jpeg

This set is my favorite of them all. Super smooth, the strings feels new a very very long time and under your fingers the touch is super friendly. And the string noise is not huge at all

View attachment 96189

I'll consider these strings. I still have the strings that came on them from Fender.

My bass is both active and passive. I prefer passive, so no EQ controls. I could switch to active though and see if reducing the high EQ helps. Or try a high cut PEQ BEFORE the Amp or Drive.

I'll consider these strings. I still have the strings that came on them from Fender.
!!!
If you put the elixir set after the factory stock one you ll see it’s night and day .

They are many tips, even putting some ghs fast fret in your strings when they are really old.

Stainless steel . They are a little bit darker so less noisy .

But you won’t regret them . Tell me back ! I m not sponsored by them but sometimes the “details “ in the instrument himself are more effective than putting 4 blocks in the signal

!!!
If you put the elixir set after the factory stock one you ll see it’s night and day .

They are many tips, even putting some ghs fast fret in your strings when they are really old.

Stainless steel . They are a little bit darker so less noisy .

But you won’t regret them . Tell me back ! I m not sponsored by them but sometimes the “details “ in the instrument himself are more effective than putting 4 blocks in the signal

Yes thank you for the help. I had wanted to investigate strings. I'm primarily a guitar player, so haven't messed with changing bass strings too often... I've been playing more bass though and enjoy it.... I'm sure I'll learn how important string selection is.

For future use......

What kind of bass? If you say a stingray, then it's the bass causing it. Never have a seen one that didn't have a very pronounced fret sounds.

Fender PJ bass.

Regardless of the cause, I'm still awaiting suggestions on what can help reduce the described noise, outside of technique, bass, or strings.

Fender PJ bass.

Regardless of the cause, I'm still awaiting suggestions on what can help reduce the described noise, outside of technique, bass, or strings.
Regardless of the cause? I'm not sure I understand that. Without finding the cause, you can't eliminate the problem.

You may be looking for a processing Magic Bullet where none exists. Technique, set up, strings, and the base itself are pretty much what you have to work with, and probably in that order of importance. In my experience, the preset isn't the place to try to eliminate fret click. In the video you posted, Flea eliminates it with technique alone (using a properly set up bass).

Regardless of the cause? I'm not sure I understand that. Without finding the cause, you can't eliminate the problem.

You may be looking for a processing Magic Bullet where none exists. Technique, set up, strings, and the base itself are pretty much what you have to work with, and probably in that order of importance. In my experience, the preset isn't the place to try to eliminate fret click. In the video you posted, Flea eliminates it with technique alone (using a properly set up bass).

I'm not.

I think I got what I needed. Thanks all..

I've set up presets before to eliminate clicking but it ends up being too round and not clear. And other presets that are clear but has noise from fret clicking/finger sliding/string slapping. Any tips?

Here's what I followed so far. Copied and pasted from a "guest user" named Lionheart.

In this order on the grid line:

1) Amp block using the SV Bass. (Or Blackglass drive)
2) Filter block set to high-pass around 50Hz.
3) Filter block set to low-pass around 4kHz+.
4) Compressor block in Studio mode. Fast release, medium attack, 2:1 ratio.
5) Another Compressor block in Studio mode. Fast release, fast attack 4:1 ratio.
6) PEQ Block. Notch out somewhere between 60 to 80Hz to let the your drummer's kick drum cut through. Keep an eye on the 160 to 200Hz, 250 to 500Hz, and 2kHz to 4kHz ranges. Look at possibly subduing these ranges with your EQ. Most of those ranges contribute to muddiness and then the higher range can get harsh with fret noise.
I had been struggling as well, especially with low end boominess and unattractive high end.

Especially at gig volume.

I went back to an old HX Stomp trick that is similar.

Low cut at 64 and high cut 4 to 6 kHz, to taste. 24 db slope, but in the speaker cab, not the amp block.

Sounds fantastic.

I also run an FB compressor to get about -3 to -5 gain reduction before the amp block and drive. Usually 2 to 3 to 1

It has really tightened everything up.

@JRod4928 this post may help. Your preset has way too much going on that could be addressed via other methods:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/does-this-bass-di-sound-off.173658/post-2127121
Agreed. For me, plucking the strings such that their movement is parallel to the fretboard helps the most.

Combine that with higher action and flat-wound or half round strings, and you'll likely never hear a click. Or at least you'll have a fighting chance of subduing it with other methods.

Back
Top Bottom