Bass players! A request for a very popular MUSE tone.

If you are a bass player and are even the most uninitiated fan of Muse, I have little doubt you have heard this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpyB73-PNFA&fmt=18

On that track are some VERY rare and expensive effects, namely: the Akai Deep Impact Bass Synth, the Human Gear Animato (which seems by all accounts to be a very nasal rendition of the RAT), and a possibly modded Black Russian Big Muff, the last of which isn't too rare/expensive yet...

They're blended together, probably in separate chains entirely, and sent to what is probably two different Marshall DBS400 amps (one clean, one dirty, probably EQd differently). I would be shooting at a dime, blindfolded, while riding a horse from a hundred yards away if I were to guess at any further details of his rig.

Anyone who wants to pitchshift down an octave with guitar is welcome to give it a go too! :mrgreen:

Sounds interesting. My own trials to have a distorted bass sound with the Axe all sounded bad. I tried splitting the signal and only distort the higher freqs, but it didn't work out. I mainly play guitar, so I didn't use much time for it. Tell me if you come close ;-)

I actually have yet to own one, I simply wanted to know if the tone could be copped convincingly by the unit at this point. I am intending to buy the Ultra as soon as I have the dinero.

You say distortion sounds bad with bass? That surprises me. I love throwing a fuzz or two on mine in the analog world and blending it with the clean signal, are the results not as impressive on the digital end (despite the Axe's reputation for accuracy and precision tweaking?)

Sorry if I confused you. I never tried a drive in front of a bass amp in the analog world. As I said, I'm a guitar player who just plays bass for his own songs. So I can't say that the AxeFx can't deliver what the analog world could.

I just don't like what I heard, and this is either because I simply don't like overdriven bass sounds on their own (i.e., not mixed with other instruments), or I'm not able to create them. The nicest sound I had was dry, mixed with the dumble od2 amp.

But all of that doesn't help you, I guess. I'm just here hoping for interesting bass patches.

the link in the OP sends you to a youtube video that has been removed. Please fix the link or reference the name of the song so the late arrivals to this thread can hear the bass sound. Thanks! :encouragement:

Good point, it's not there anymore. I would love to be able to reproduce something like bass sound or Time is Running out, or Hysteria. He gets very different sounds, but the synthy/fuzz/octave vibe is always there.

Good point, it's not there anymore. I would love to be able to reproduce something like bass sound or Time is Running out, or Hysteria. He gets very different sounds, but the synthy/fuzz/octave vibe is always there.

here is a different live video of Muse...note the bass sound is a bit more pedestrian, certainly a cool sound, but not nearly as thick and layered as on many other videos I've seen of them.

check the break at 1min55sec. Sounds like a pretty standard bass tone with some filtered distortion on the top end. Now, the studio bass mix has a lot going on in it, and I think the AxeFx has enough tools to pull off something quite similar. If I get the time, I'll see how close I can come, OK? Don't hold your breath, though. LOL

[note: this was created on the AxeFxII, not the Ultra]

Here is a very LOOSE attempt at the sound, and I know that it needs to be tweaked a bit, and certain elements are missing from it (mine is synth bass heavy and there is an audible filter frequency change that happens with every changing note that I didn't attempt to capture)...but all that said, here it is. IMO it demonstrates that the sounds are definitely "in the box", and with some extra time dedicated to tweaking it to the nth degree, could probably be made much closer. The .syx file is included for those who want to see what's going on with the FX blocks and routing.

https://soundcloud.com/jimfist/muse-uprise-bass

Attachments

• MUSE UPRISE.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
:hopelessness:eek:h crap!! I created this on my AxefxII! My ultra is at the rehearsal space. perhaps you can open this in axedit and view the blocks used and routing. it should translate well to the ultra. oops...sorry about that...my bad.

[note: this was created on the AxeFxII, not the Ultra]

Here is a very LOOSE attempt at the sound, and I know that it needs to be tweaked a bit, and certain elements are missing from it (mine is synth bass heavy and there is an audible filter frequency change that happens with every changing note that I didn't attempt to capture)...but all that said, here it is. IMO it demonstrates that the sounds are definitely "in the box", and with some extra time dedicated to tweaking it to the nth degree, could probably be made much closer. The .syx file is included for those who want to see what's going on with the FX blocks and routing.

this patch is very very good, thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom