Bass patches

paddyryan

Instead of wading through hundreds and hundreds of presets to try to find which one are good bass patches.... can anyone tell me which patches they are using (or using as a starting point) for bass guitar? Which heads, which cabs?

Last edited:
I prefer the SVT amp block with a 4x10 bass cab IR by redwirez. I’ve also split the signal off from before the amp block and ran it through the dark glass pedal model in the axe with good results. I’m not a bass player by any stretch. I just record bass parts out of necessity. So take all that with a grain of salt.

There's a section for bass amps in the preset list. I haven't tried any as I built a preset before I actually found it haha. It wouldn't take too long to audition the factory options.

I'm used to an actual SVT classic through the accompanying 810, so I started with an SV into an SV410 for cleans. Darkglass B7K for dirt, and IIRC a pi fuzz for really nasty stuff. I have an Aerodyne with an Aguilar P neck pickup and a badass II bridge.

If you don't want to take too long, pick 1 cab and then see which head you like the base tone of (Orange AD200, Mesa 400 and something else, GK R700 IIRC, SVT). Add dirt and EQ as you see fit.

The good news is it's fairly easy IMO. What I do is I take a parallel approach, where one line is emulating a DI approach, and the other is through an amp and cab. I spent an evening going through every.. single.. amplifier.. and I found the results to be very interesting. For rock, on the amp+cab chain use something plexi-ish, cut the lows and add just enough grind that you think it might be too much. Most rock bass tones sound gross solo'd, and then magical inside the mix. For metal, or more aggressive stuff, try something based on the 5150, Peavey or EVH, same thing with bass cut and gain.

Almost every amp can sound good with the right tweaking and IR, but the plexi/5150 gets me up and running with a tone that "just works" based on a simple formula. If you need perfectly clean you won't be happy with this approach at all, you'll have to get freaky with compressors.

Its a personal choice. I have one preset with SVT amp and a Marshall (guitar) cabinet which works for some things. Sometimes think outside the box :) I used to play live & studio at one time with a pre-CBS Bassman and a Bandmaster 2x12"cabinet (never blew the speakers and still have it with original speakers) as I preferred the sound to the 2x15" bassman cab.

only tube pre and no cab for me when I use my Axe fx for bass (which I do a lot). The rest is effects. To me it sounds better than with an amp model and cab. But I play mostly fusion and funk and I don't like boomy bass tones.

Thanks a bloody lot SeeD, I just bought a SUB Ray 4 for support with composing and your 3 AX8 Dingwall patches available on Axechange just sounds killer. Will put this on the axe fx ii this afternoon. BTW are you still on Q1 or would these fit with Ares ?
Kind greetings

Glad you like them.
I`m on Ares 2.0 but i think these presets will sound good on a FW after 2.02 Q

Back
Top Bottom