Bass output to cab and FOH, Cab modeling on

Not sure if there's an obvious way to do this:
I want to run a bass cab onstage, but run another output to FOH with cab modeling on. What makes this complicated is that most of my presets have effects after the cab so I can't just route before the cab block.
I should note I'm making a big assumption: that FOH needs the cab modeling on to sound decent. Haven't gotten to test that because I haven't been able to play a show in over a year, but anytime I hear am direct line (no cab mod) from FX3 (to my studio monitors for instance) it sounds bad.
Previously, using a Quilter or Darkglass, I would of course run a line out with no problems.
Is this possible, and/or am I way off in my thinking?

What makes this complicated is that most of my presets have effects after the cab so I can't just route before the cab block.
Actually, you can.

Most effects that you put after the cab (delay, reverb, etc) are LTI (Linear Time Invariant) and will sound the same either before or after the cab.

That is the typical solution to your use case.

Big negative on the Stereo Tri Chorus sounding the same before the cab. I guess I could rework all the presets that sounds different after moving pre cab, assuming I could match the current sound (matching 100% seems unlikely) . I was just really trying to avoid something like that.

Big negative on the Stereo Tri Chorus sounding the same before the cab. I guess I could rework all the presets that sounds different after moving pre cab, assuming I could match the current sound (matching 100% seems unlikely) . I was just really trying to avoid something like that.
Are you sure you aren't collapsing your signal to mono with a mono cab block?

Well I see Input mode was L but changing to stereo doesn't restore it.
If it's a quality of the IR, I don't know how to tell. Its the 8x10 SV bass so idk why it wouldn't be capable of stereo.

Is the cabinet EQing your trichorus with any cuts, Or some other parameter?

Typically placing the cabinet at the end of the chain does not change the sound. Look up time invariant blocks/effects. All of my presets have a cab as the last block prior to Out2 for FRFR. Out1 send w/ no Cabinet Emulation to the matrix which powers traditional cabinets.

Is the cabinet EQing your trichorus with any cuts, Or some other parameter?

Typically placing the cabinet at the end of the chain does not change the sound. Look up time invariant blocks/effects. All of my presets have a cab as the last block prior to Out2 for FRFR. Out1 send w/ no Cabinet Emulation to the matrix which powers traditional cabinets.
I don't think so. I think Unix-guy is on the right track; it seems to be collapsing to mono and I can't figure out why. Am I supposed to use two cab blocks to achieve stereo after a chorus? Still pretty newbish here.

You don't need two cab blocks but you should make sure the cab input mode is "stereo" and cabs are balanced left/right. Also remember cabs 1 & 3 are fed the left input signal, 2 & 4 the right.

You don't need two cab blocks but you should make sure the cab input mode is "stereo" and cabs are balanced left/right. Also remember cabs 1 & 3 are fed the left input signal, 2 & 4 the right.
That last point I didn't realize till just now when I read the cab block wiki closer.
So what I think will get this working is doing as you said (same cab IR on 1&2) but what I was missing was panning those cabs. NOW, chorus before or after the cab sounds identical. Thanks all!
Now to twiddle a bunch of presets into shape.

You could use just one slot (w panning centered) and still maintain stereo... but if you love what you have...👍

You could use just one slot (w panning centered) and still maintain stereo... but if you love what you have...👍
It wasn't maintaining stereo though.
I tried various ways: one cab, centered, two identical cabs (1+2) centered. In every case I hear the stereo field collapse when the cab is moved after chorus. All with input mode in stereo.
I'm clearly doing something wrong or missing something, but I saved the cab config in my block library so it will be easy to apply to my other patches. It hurts my soul a bit that I might still be doing something dumb because i want to understand this stuff but at the end of the day I need it to just work when that next gig is booked 😎

Back
Top Bottom