Bass - Middle - Treble on the fly

Starting to wonder if I dreamt it or something, I'm sure I came across a thread which featured a standalone piece of kit. When plugged into the Axe let's you control tone, as you would on the front of an amp. I'm sure many same as myself would love to change tone whilst mid song, actually controlling gain would be cool too! I've looked but can't find it. If it doesn't exist, then maybe it should! Lol. If it does, then does it control all patches and different amps?

Sorry if I'm talking crap but was sure I saw it.

Starting to wonder if I dreamt it or something, I'm sure I came across a thread which featured a standalone piece of kit. When plugged into the Axe let's you control tone, as you would on the front of an amp. I'm sure many same as myself would love to change tone whilst mid song, actually controlling gain would be cool too! I've looked but can't find it. If it doesn't exist, then maybe it should! Lol. If it does, then does it control all patches and different amps?

The unityou are talking about is RAC12 from fxunits. I have one... and it's GREAT!!!
You have 12 rotary knobs that are push switches too. And you can assign the 12 knobs+push button to 16 pages of parametres to control. Do you can control via hardware not only the amp... but all the blocks of fxs and cabs!
You can think the RAC12 like an HARDWARE AxeEdit.
The RAC12 has and editor software so it's very easy assign the controls to each paramentres in the 16 pages.
So you can have not only bass mid treble control of the amp... but also drive... switches like bright or cut ... master volume... and all the deep parametres if you want.
You can engage/disengage fxs blocks and control the fx parametres.
Think about: with one rotary knob you can change the cab IR in your factory or user memory.
In few words: you can convert all the software inside the Axe in his hardware counterpart!
It's like a dream come thrue!

Hi Georgy, it's a combo stand, this is what I use, it's cheap and does the job absolutely fine.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 17
So regarding the RAC12 - wouldn't you be able to do the same with any knob based midi controller? Price just seems really high for what it does...

RR

So regarding the RAC12 - wouldn't you be able to do the same with any knob based midi controller? Price just seems really high for what it does...

RR
yes and no. a midi controller will have to be used with external controls, 1 through 12, these can only be attached to things with a modifier page, and would have to be programed for every patch, and more then likely would only communicate from controller to axe fx. from what I understand(do not have an rac12) the rac communicates bi directional like the axe edit does and can be set to adjust values with no modifier, and will work globally.

Yes.. RAC12... there is one for sale in the For Sale forum.

Blimey..it's real! Many thanks, the x button sounds cool too on the front of the Axe...next I'm gonna say I dreamt that I got answers too..lool

RR

No, probably not.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Rac12 uses sysex messages to control parameters rather than standard midi ccs, ie it basically operates like a hardware axe edit as someone said earlier. This is why you can control all parameters rather than just the ones that allow an external modifier.

Yes, sysex is midi and some midi controllers will allow you to customise and send sysex messages in this way but they are few and far between and it will be an awful lot of work to configure.

I looked into this and even started writing some software to convert standard ccs to sysex messages but I ran out of time and energy. It would be a hell of a lot easier to buy a Rac12 if I had the cash and space for it.

The unityou are talking about is RAC12 from fxunits. I have one... and it's GREAT!!!
You have 12 rotary knobs that are push switches too. And you can assign the 12 knobs+push button to 16 pages of parametres to control. Do you can control via hardware not only the amp... but all the blocks of fxs and cabs!
The RAC12 has and editor software so it's very easy assign the controls to each paramentres in the 16 pages.
So you can have not only bass mid treble control of the amp... but also drive... switches like bright or cut ... master volume... and all the deep parametres if you want.
Think about: with one rotary knob you can change the cab IR in your factory or user memory
Think about: with one rotary knob you can change the cab IR in your factory or user memory.
In few words: you can convert all the software inside the Axe in his hardware counterpart!
It's like a dream come thrue!

This RAC 12 looks very attractive and would make the axe experience even better....
I have an Axe Fx II MARK II. Could you confirm based on your experience than running the RAC 12 at the same time as the MFC 101 does not create any latency or compatibility problems? No problem when using Axe Edit while the RAC 12 is connected? And generally no concern you would flag?

This RAC 12 looks very attractive and would make the axe experience even better....
I have an Axe Fx II MARK II. Could you confirm based on your experience than running the RAC 12 at the same time as the MFC 101 does not create any latency or compatibility problems? No problem when using Axe Edit while the RAC 12 is connected? And generally no concern you would flag?

I have Axe FX II MkII running with the RAC12 and MFC101. It works great, no issues. The RAC 12 is fantastic and worth every penny in my opinion; it just makes everything easier.

Last edited:
I emailed RAC12 recently to buy one. They replied back and said they are no longer producing these units. So its all over for RAC12, for now.

Sad to ear that RAC12 is no more producing!
To me is the perfect complement to the Axe!
Tweaking tones became a breeze and a pleasure like turning knobs on the front of an amp or on your favorite fxs pedals! Even on the fly while gigging!
You can easily find the sweet spot for each block in the chain just like you do with a real rig: hit a chord and turn up and down the right knob until you ears are satisfied! It's a more "natural" interaction with The Box!
Like many ppl here I have a lot of IRs libraries... ya know... it's a little overwelming...
But... with the RAC12 you can browse very fast your IRs collection inside the Axe... while playing your guitar... just turning a knob... and it's another world!
Hope the very friendly french guys behind the RAC12 are thinking to a v.2 of the RAC12 ... maybe with a "per patch" function so the RAC12 can change the "chain of pages" accordly with the patch chain selected in the Axe!

I emailed RAC12 recently to buy one. They replied back and said they are no longer producing these units. So its all over for RAC12, for now.
We didn't say that, but we're looking for a way to have customers prepaying their units and building rac12 only when a number of customers is reached...

Sad to ear that RAC12 is no more producing!
To me is the perfect complement to the Axe!
Tweaking tones became a breeze and a pleasure like turning knobs on the front of an amp or on your favorite fxs pedals! Even on the fly while gigging!
You can easily find the sweet spot for each block in the chain just like you do with a real rig: hit a chord and turn up and down the right knob until you ears are satisfied! It's a more "natural" interaction with The Box!
Like many ppl here I have a lot of IRs libraries... ya know... it's a little overwelming...
But... with the RAC12 you can browse very fast your IRs collection inside the Axe... while playing your guitar... just turning a knob... and it's another world!
Hope the very friendly french guys behind the RAC12 are thinking to a v.2 of the RAC12 ... maybe with a "per patch" function so the RAC12 can change the "chain of pages" accordly with the patch chain selected in the Axe!
The per-patch is already there, it's called page mapping ;)

Back
Top Bottom