Bass is cut through phones output

Mats Lexell

Hi!

I notice this first after about five years of using the axe fx II: My phones output cuts the bass quite a bit.

I usually only use ouptut 1 one when playing. Today I connected an audio-player to input 2 and jammed along with some backingtracks using the phones jack (using fx-loop).
When going through output 1 everything was fine, and the track mix of the backingtrack sounded exactly as if I connected my headphones straight to the phone. Through phones output I noticed that a lot of bass was cut out.

Is it the same for anyone else?

I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong section, but I don't know if it qualifies as a bug...

Best,
Mats

I too get a lot more bass when I connect my Axe Mk1 to my soundcard and use its headphones output. This sucks! I said this years ago already and everyone was like NOOOOO, this output is as perfect as it can be ...

I think this can get fixed,just ask FAS.
I got this fixed on my Mark I Axe Fx II unit.
I recorded the out 1 and 2,end then i did the same with phones out. There was quiet a bit bass "lacking"

This can be a make or breake thing.. When i only used the Axe Fx II as a soundcard,and used the phones out,when i mixed songs,and recorded music..
..i was like,what ??
It sounded ok when i sat and played the parts,and EQ`d the parts.
But when i playd it back on my Stereo system the next day As a Wav file (job done,this is the best mixing i can do),type of thing.. man there was a lot of bass..Since the phones lacked bass stuff

This is when i tried to record the out`s Out 1-2 and phones) on my unit

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks SeeD, so I could send it to G66 for this to be fixed? I might consider it!

I would give them a e-mail. And what they reply.
Out 1 and 2 and headphones should "sound the same" and not lack any bass

g66 asked me to get in touth with my local fix my music gear stuff shop.
This was like 4 years ago

My Headphones jack and Output 1 L/R jacks sound the same. I can't imagine Fractal would overlook this.

Doesn't mean it's impossible! The AxeFX has flaws and we all know it, especially the Mk1+2 machines.
Oh, I meant that Fractal didn't intentionally make the phones output sound different from the rear outputs. :) Of course there's always going to be bad eggs with electronics.

I wonder whether there may be a phasing problem. That could account for "sounds OK through output" (assuming a mono feed) but "sounds thin in headphones".

IOW, if the left and right outputs are out-of-phase (I'm pretty sure that this could happen with certain chorus blocks between amp and output; maybe there are other ways the left/right channel phase could be reversed...), then you'd never notice in a mono feed but will *definitely* hear it through stereo headphones.

Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom