Wish Bass effects (Drive and Wah)

Some bass exclusive bass distortions type like (Sansamp, tube driver, darkglass) and a expecific WAH BASS type..

I bet you could customize a badass bass wah this very second! Most of the FX have full bass control so I would be surprised if you couldn't create the drives out of existing models. Just make sure you turn the bass up on the drives and wah. Try running drive parallel with clean, or keeping the mix nice and low to create so low bass fuzz. I bet you can also get the sansa-amp style driver going on too! If I have some time I'll give some of these a go, I have a sansa amp to compare to.

The problem is the wah is that has a lack of low end (for bass)....
To compensate that i have to use an EQ block just to add the low frequencies...
If already has a bass wah type would be a free block for me in the rig (the EQ block)

+1,000,000 -- The lack of a SansAmp-style drive block or a Dunlop Bass CryBaby-style Wah block are immensely frustrating. No amount of fiddling around with the variables in any of the available Wah blocks preserves the low frequencies necessary for bass guitar or has the right kind of synthetic resonance to produce a noticeable-enough effect for bass guitar. While some careful twiddling with the various Drive blocks has gotten me to a sufficiently tolerable set of distorted tones for bass, none of them do anything like what the magic "Presence" knob does on a SansAmp Bass DI. I love the FX8 as a quality product, but having owned and used mine for well over a year now, I would honestly have to disrecommend it to any bassist looking for professional-grade bass tones. The folks at Fractal Audio just don't seem very interested in educating themselves about, or properly supporting, the particular tonal needs of the bass guitar. And what really irks me is that I already raised these exact complaints in these forums over a year ago... multiple... times... and they still haven't been addressed by firmware updates. It's really tiring to keep hearing guitarists hand-wavingly say that the existing effects "shoud" work just as well for bass; they clearly don't, and guitarists who say such things clearly don't know anything about the low frequency needs of bass guitar.

Last edited:
Guitarists get emulations and algorithms that get them immediately in the ball park. Bassists are told that "everything is in the box...you just have to fiddle with it", rather than FAS providing an emulation conceived around the products designed specifically for bass. The Wah, crossover, and MultiBandComp blocks all could benefit bassists by allowing a broader low freq range tweak to the existing algorithms. Hasn't happened. Welcome to the world of being a bassist in FAS land. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom