Bass and guitar on the axe for band set?

Conley Shepherd

Experienced
My bass player and I are looking into using the Axe for live sets.

I have 4 main patches I use with the bass patch the same in each preset.

On occasion, I change presets which gets a cut in the bass audio and my guitar. I time my changes so that my sound does not get altered. The bass does not have that luxury. I have thought about just making new presets that have all I need and no need to switch to another preset. My presets are hovering between 74 and 78% already, so editing the one I am using is likely not an option.

How do you use your axe with a bass for live sets??

@2112 ?

Yeah if you're switching presets, there's no way to avoid slight dropouts. You could switch presets between songs and switch scenes and utilize scene controllers during a song while keeping the bass signal chain unaffected.

Yeah that's kind of unavoidable if you're switching presets. You're gonna have to fit everything you need into 8 scenes (plus preset switches between songs or in any short gaps during songs). For most people 8 scenes per song is plenty, if that's not enough you might have to get clever with controllers and switches and stuff to make it work

Scenes are definitely the key. When we're running guitar and bass through the Axe I have one general preset that works for about 1/3 of our setlist and then the rest of my presets are dedicated to specific songs. Depending on setlist length I'll have between 8-15 different presets I use for a gig. Our bass player mercifully doesn't use a ton of effects or scene changes (that I have to control).

If you can’t find a way to avoid a dropout via scenes/scene controllers, I’d have the bass player get a DI box and split his signal between the AxeFX and FOH. If the soundguy just mixes a little of the DI in there, you’ll still have something going during those dropouts and it won’t be as noticeable.

My bass player and I are looking into using the Axe for live sets.

I have 4 main patches I use with the bass patch the same in each preset.

On occasion, I change presets which gets a cut in the bass audio and my guitar. I time my changes so that my sound does not get altered. The bass does not have that luxury. I have thought about just making new presets that have all I need and no need to switch to another preset. My presets are hovering between 74 and 78% already, so editing the one I am using is likely not an option.

How do you use your axe with a bass for live sets??

@2112 ?
Scenes are the way to go, but you can use a trick to not use an amp block, and run a drive block into a cab block.

Back
Top Bottom