Bass Amps You'd Like To See Added

Bryan R. Tyler

Inspired
I figured I'd start a thread each for amps, cabs, and effects you'd like added. While a bunch of bass heads isn't as necessary as guitar heads as most bassists don't rely on the variety of different gainy/overdriven tones guitar heads give, I think the inherent clean tone differences between some heads is enough to warrant a few more,

I was thinking perhaps a Trace Elliot V8, Ampeg B15 Portaflex, and maybe an Aguilar DB750 (although this is technically a hybrid amp).

An SWR SM-900 would be nice, or anything from SWR really, but their higher end heads like the SM-900 would be great. TC Electronics has their RH450 head that could be cool. In addition to those, Genz Benz, Gallien Kruger and Acoustic all have bass heads that have gotten great reviews.

For the SWR heads to be properly modeled and implemented, an aural enhancer effect added to the axe as an effect block, because that's a key feature of those amps, plus, it'd actually be nice to have that effect in the Axe anyway, so it'd be a win/win. Many bass amps have special features that make them stand out. How many of those get modeled, or even need to be because of the ability to re-create those special features in the Axe already (like bass and treble boosts and pre-shaping which can be done with a PEQ), is the question. It'll be interesting to see first of all IF we get any other bass amp sims, and what we get if we do.

I'd like to see some new bass cabs added to the firmware as well, or better versions of the ones that are there, but I doubt that will happen. I just really don't dig how the ones that are in there sound. Too dead, resonant and weird for my tastes.

The 8x10 cab along with the Ampeg head really gets that Ampeg SVT sound. Unfortunately, I like the low end of the 8x10 cab, but most of the time don't prefer that thinner-sounding top end of it. Something like an Eden XST 4x10 model would probably retain the depth while having a warmer/thicker top end.

This forum is at least an indicator that bassists are starting to become a noticeable user branch of the Axe- hopefully that will lead to a couple more bass-oriented amps/cabs/features.

DLM said:
An SWR SM-900 would be nice, or anything from SWR really, but their higher end heads like the SM-900 would be great.

+1

Their high end stuff isn't the only great SWR gear. I love the Super Readhead and the Baby Blue II
Would like some IRs of these smaller combos, actually.

-m@

More cab IRs would be infinitely more useful to me than new bass amps. After trying it yesterday (many thanks to Bryan for this opportunity), I hardly found an amp with which I could not dial in a great sound. And I barely even twiddled with the amps' guts at all.

If the pitch detector were to be adjusted to suit the bass guitar's lower range, I would not have a single qualm with the way things are now. I'm proud to say that my opinion remains the same after trying it in the flesh.

Nice that you finally got to try one man. When are you going to be able to get one finally? You've been participating here as long as I've owned mine almost. It's time to join the club already. :)

And Matman, I agree there are lots of great ones out there, but I was thinking purely from a sales and space standpoint. If there's only room to add one or two more, they'll get more mileage sales-wise out of modeling the top end stuff, if for no other reason than because from a sales standpoint, it'd likely make the Axe sound more desirable to potential customers. I know in many cases the sound quality between top end and middle range stuff is probably more or less negligible, with the top end stuff usually just having more features, but it's more impressive to a customer in general to see the top end names on the list of amp sims.

I'm waiting for the pocketbook to stop squealing in terror. Also, Christmas is coming...*diddles fingers together with an evil grin on his face*

Yeah I know how you feel. I was scrounging together everything I could sell off in order to get the Axe, even stuff I wanted to keep, like my drum set. Oh well, it was totally worth it. :D

Hopefully Santa will be nice to you this year and put an Ultra under your tree. ;)

DLM said:
Hopefully Santa will be nice to you this year and put an Ultra under your tree. ;)

silent_night.jpg

I'd be jumping for joy if an Eden Navigator preamp sim popped up. I'm so partial to mine that I'm using it along with the Axe currently. There's just some great tone characteristics to it that I can't quite replicate, although I can come close.

My vote would be for a markbass or genzbenz sim, a or alternatively just a generic modern bass head sim. I know they are supposed to be close to transparent, but they definitely have a voicing that is different to flat/plugging in to a PA.

Also more speaker sims would be useful (i like the 8x10 but cannot get a good tone from the 4x10 or 1x15. Does anyone share this issue? Doesnt sound like a markbass 4x10 or aguilar etc...

i'd go for gallien krueger amps as well as a more flip-top kinda sound, well for the rock side of things.

for the clean tones i'd have to ask for a carvin b1500, those things are hard to beat! You can do OK with the ampeg sim right now, but it doesn't do that nice snappy clean bass tone (think gospel bassists)

If i had a choice, i'd prob go for the B1500, I can still get gallien krueger type sounds if I play around with the axe a bit

bergerbrain said:
My vote would be for a markbass or genzbenz sim, a or alternatively just a generic modern bass head sim. I know they are supposed to be close to transparent, but they definitely have a voicing that is different to flat/plugging in to a PA.

Also more speaker sims would be useful (i like the 8x10 but cannot get a good tone from the 4x10 or 1x15. Does anyone share this issue? Doesnt sound like a markbass 4x10 or aguilar etc...

here is a MarkBass schematic, send it to Cliff, maybe he reproduce the VLF/VLE circuit as a booster/drive-block for bass-players ;)
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=51892

+1 on the sadowsky! I think you can get pretty good gospel sounds with that too.

I'd like to see a sansamp PSA, for guitar as well as bass...those things are MONSTROUS!!! and probably the only ones that venture in areas the axe HASN'T reached YET....it's still the only preamp that distorts the bass, mid and treble frequencies separately, so I think that will be a definite plus to have as a preamp in the axe! There are a lot of psa owners who haven't sold their psa's after getting axe-fx for this same reason.

I agree with adding the SM-900. I use SWR stuff live and would love to have that added to my Axe Ultra!!!

The Mesa 400 would be cool too!

Back
Top Bottom