Bass amps, cabs - what are you using?

(punk/hardcore/hard rock band, but the principal is the same for any style) I currently run a crunchy sound for my clean (via SVT drive, boost, and saturation knobs) and a distorted sound for my dirt channel. My basic preset is:

Bass > split > EQ > Drive > SVT1 > 15" Cab + 6" Cab > EQ > Studio Comp > Out
from split > SVT1 > merge into cabs

I use a 15/6 combo that I captured myself but any will do based on your tastes. I split the signal to keep the lows intact away from the Drive block. Drive block is B7K but also various fuzzes depending on the scene... B7K handles the lows fine but the fuzzes (bit crusher for example) don't always play nice, hence the split.

I mainly stick to the SV Bass 1 and Portabass for straight forward bass tones, and the Citrus Bass amp for tighter grittier tones. For cabs I (obviously) use the York Audio SV-210 with the M88 mic or a 121/313 + 57/421 blend for something big with more bite.

Parallel processing is best for more grindy bass sounds. Leon has a youtube clip showing how to do this via the Crossover block. You can also split the signal and use two filter blocks, one highpass one low pass (4th order) and set their rolloff frequencies in the same place. Crank gain for the high end using Drive/Amp. Keep low end chain clean and add a Comp block at the end for more control over low end dynamics

Back
Top Bottom