Basic Questions from new FM3 user

Hi all, so I opened up my FM3 yesterday. There are a few basic things that were not obvious to me, so I'm hoping some of you can clear a few things up. Bear with me, I'm not an expert - far from it.

• I was planning to connect this unit to a powered speaker and also an amp. Immediately I realized I don't have an XLR cable. Do I need to configure every preset to use input/output 2 if I want to use TRS or do I need some sort of adapter. I don't have a mixer. Luckily, I did find an xlr which I use with my mic, so I'm able to use input 1 to my powered speaker for now.
  • Selecting Presets - is there a way, from the front of the device, to directly go to a specific preset. I just wanted to go to the blank presets so I could try and create my own, but scrolling through takes forever. There has to be a better way but I can't find it.
  • Is there a good description somewhere on how the three switches work? I've been searching. Would be great if there were some videos.
  • If I wanted to set this up for FX only to use with an amp - assuming I can get a cable for that - do I just select an input/output block and the FX?
Thanks, I realize all of you experts are way beyond this level with the modeler. Seems like a cool device, if I can figure out how to use it. My next questions will be around amplification as I don't like the tones through my powered speaker.

Hi there, find some answers below (using your order):
  • You can go to the "Setup" Menu (in the main Preset page, push Encoder "E"), got to the Menu "I/O" and set "Output 2 Copy" to "Output 1" (copies your XLRs to the TRS). See manual, page 93.
  • On your main preset page, use the "Page >>" button to go to the "Presets" page, showing you all presets. Using the arrow buttons it should be way faster than the big knob. See manual, page 7.
  • @2112 did a very good video regarding the FC6 (shown above). Since FC6 and FM3 are quite similar, this may give you a glimpse. Elsewise, you may take a look at the Performance tutorial (see Manual page 103)
  • Depends if you want to use 4CM or 2CM. For the 4CM method, I have no idea (since I use the FM3 as my Amp replacement)

Last edited:
Thanks, for the "Output 2 Copy" functionality - I assume I'd have to do this for each preset I want to use this way?
No, it is a global setting, but is overridden if an OUT 2 block is placed elsewhere in the chain of an individual preset, e.g.
Used as an FX loop or as you may use it for routing to your amp.

No, it is a global setting, but is overridden if an OUT 2 block is placed elsewhere in the chain of an individual preset, e.g.
Used as an FX loop or as you may use it for routing to your amp.

So, just to clarify for me...I have my guitar plugged into input 1. Could I add an OUT 2 block to the chain (remove the OUT 1 block) and run a standard guitar cable into my amp?

If not, is there a specific cable or adapter made for XLR to TR that you could recommend? As you can tell, I'm used to guitar-cable-pedals-amp setups.

So, just to clarify for me...I have my guitar plugged into input 1. Could I add an OUT 2 block to the chain (remove the OUT 1 block) and run a standard guitar cable into my amp?

If not, is there a specific cable or adapter made for XLR to TR that you could recommend? As you can tell, I'm used to guitar-cable-pedals-amp setups.

You don’t need to remove output 1 from the preset.

What I do is set the copy out 1 to out 2; that makes all stock presets work on both outputs by default.
But for my own presets, i usually have tte cab block last, going to out 1 (for frfr system) but also split before the cab block to out 2 which I can use with a regular guitar amp (Usually in fx return).

That allows my to use any reproduction system, depending on the output I use. But spoiler alert, I always use output 2 ;)

• Selecting Presets - is there a way, from the front of the device, to directly go to a specific preset. I just wanted to go to the blank presets so I could try and create my own, but scrolling through takes forever. There has to be a better way but I can't find it.
I think I may be able to help with this particular question, assuming I understand you correctly.

-- On the FM3 unit, make sure you are on the Home screen by pressing the "HOME" button.
-- Next, press the Right "PAGE" button...….this should bring up a directory of all the presets. This presets are displayed in (2) columns of (12) presets each.
-- Use the "NAV" arrows to quickly scroll though pages of the presets (left-right), as well as move cursor up-or-down.
-- When the cursor is highlighting a preset you want to hear, press "ENTER."
Press EXIT, HOME to return back to the Home screen.

thanks guys, I'll play around with this later today - Along with trying to get a good envelope filter sound...creating a preset for "Shakedown Street" just to see if I can get it right.

This device is fairly complicated, and I hate the sound from my powered speaker so I probably need to do more tweaking, or get a better speaker.

You probably know this but just in case you don't you will really be happy to find out there is a computer based editor app called FM3-Edit and it will make your journey into Fractal Land a wonderful one.

You probably know this but just in case you don't you will really be happy to find out there is a computer based editor app called FM3-Edit and it will make your journey into Fractal Land a wonderful one.
lol, yep...I downloaded it yesterday. Much easier but I wanted to learn to use the front panel in case I have to

Any tips on setting up a Mutron style envelope filter? I can't get it sounding very good...

... That allows my to use any reproduction system, depending on the output I use. But spoiler alert, I always use output 2 ;)

When you're running into the return of a guitar amp, do you also always disable the power amp modeling as well? Or have you found that the power amp modeling works with some presets along with your real amp's power amp? I'm just digging into this and noticed the FM3 manual mentions that sometimes the combination can work well.

lol, yep...I downloaded it yesterday. Much easier but I wanted to learn to use the front panel in case I have to

Any tips on setting up a Mutron style envelope filter? I can't get it sounding very good...
Not much to add other than look at my presets in Axe-Change, really and then ask me questions. The hardest part about muTron emulation is tuning the envelope filter to match your guitar and your expected response. It takes some patience. Otherwise, it's pretty easy now with the updated wah models to find an inductor model that you think fits the muTron you hear in your mind.

These are III presets, but you can view them with FracTool and import them into your FM3 and modify them:

When you're running into the return of a guitar amp, do you also always disable the power amp modeling as well? Or have you found that the power amp modeling works with some presets along with your real amp's power amp? I'm just digging into this and noticed the FM3 manual mentions that sometimes the combination can work well.
I don’t disable power amp modeling. I never have (Although the FM3 makes it easy, I haven’t even tried it) and I think it sounds great. If it ain’t broke, right?

Agreed. That's great to know since I've got to believe the power amp modeling will really help some amps more than others. Thanks!

Thanks, everyone. I have one pretty good sounding preset configured with three scenes. I gave up using the front panel for now - sticking with the software...much easier.

I managed to get an OK sounding envelope filter set up with one of the presets. Still tweaking...

I will grab the presets from the axeexchange asap

Not much to add other than look at my presets in Axe-Change, really and then ask me questions. The hardest part about muTron emulation is tuning the envelope filter to match your guitar and your expected response. It takes some patience. Otherwise, it's pretty easy now with the updated wah models to find an inductor model that you think fits the muTron you hear in your mind.

These are III presets, but you can view them with FracTool and import them into your FM3 and modify them:
Hi, still struggling a bit with all of this. I was able to load the preset with the Mutron (from the above link) but it's not usable in the FM3. CPU capacity exceeded. This apparently slows down the FM3 to the point where it takes as long as a minute to execute a command. Soooo, I couldn't delete blocks easily.

I haven't used FracTool (didn't know what it was). I can try it.

A good tutorial on setting up the wah would really help...I sure can't get the sound anywhere close. I'd like a "Shakedown Street" kind of sound from it.

Hi, still struggling a bit with all of this. I was able to load the preset with the Mutron (from the above link) but it's not usable in the FM3. CPU capacity exceeded. This apparently slows down the FM3 to the point where it takes as long as a minute to execute a command. Soooo, I couldn't delete blocks easily.

I haven't used FracTool (didn't know what it was). I can try it.

A good tutorial on setting up the wah would really help...I sure can't get the sound anywhere close. I'd like a "Shakedown Street" kind of sound from it.
Yea, those are for the III so you'll need to trim content out of them before they'll fit into the FM3.

Here's an FM3 preset for you: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=8187

Back
Top Bottom