Basic question re: Block Path

Moves

And maybe this is simply a "read the manual" type answer, but I have manual ADD.

Can someone in a VERY basic way, explain what is happening in the attached pic, as far as having blocks "Stack" and the signal chain having the option of moving linearly, or up/down?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 10.42.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 10.42.42 AM.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 93
There is a parallel signal path in the third row, and the signal is split before so everything gets the same signal (begin), and everything is added together to one path at the end.

I suspect that at least one of the blocks is set to "mute" if not engaged in both paths, so that you hear essentially the signal from only one path.

I am using this if I put a Wah-block behind the Amp block, to avoid harsh filtering, but also having a Wah signal.

That pic shows 2 cab blocks. Looks like that must be the AxeII Processor. The Ax8 can only have 1 instance of an amp block and 1 cab block in a preset.

I get that, but I am unsure of the application. Time to read the damn manual lol
Without knowing the specifics, the example you posted is not ready to explain.

@Moke could answer the specific question, since it's his preset.

However, more generally there is a fundamental topic here which is using effects in parallel. The manual isn't really going to provide any input on that other than maybe how to do the routing.

There are many who prefer to put their effects in parallel, primarily for ambient effects like reverb and delay (not the case here).

As I've learned over time from folks here, in most cases the same end result can be achieved with the effect routed in serial (with the proper settings).

There is a particular case where it is useful and settings don't help:

If you want to have delay and reverb but you don't want your delay trails to have reverb on them, and you don't want to add delay to your Reverb. In that scenario, you would put the delay parallel to the reverb.

You might want to do some reading or watch some vids on "series vs parallel effects" to better understand.

Also, note that for most cases, you want to set Mix at 100% for parallel effect blocks and then use the Input Gain or Level control to adjust the amount of effect you hear.

And finally, if you have parallel rows that are active simultaneously that are not ambient effects like I just described, note that each additional row will increase overall output level by 6dB.

Oh derp! So it's literally mimicking the distinction between parallel and series type effects?? That's cool

Without knowing the specifics, the example you posted is not ready to explain.

@Moke could answer the specific question, since it's his preset.

However, more generally there is a fundamental topic here which is using effects in parallel. The manual isn't really going to provide any input on that other than maybe how to do the routing.

There are many who prefer to put their effects in parallel, primarily for ambient effects like reverb and delay (not the case here).

As I've learned over time from folks here, in most cases the same end result can be achieved with the effect routed in serial (with the proper settings).

There is a particular case where it is useful and settings don't help:

If you want to have delay and reverb but you don't want your delay trails to have reverb on them, and you don't want to add delay to your Reverb. In that scenario, you would put the delay parallel to the reverb.

You might want to do some reading or watch some vids on "series vs parallel effects" to better understand.

Also, note that for most cases, you want to set Mix at 100% for parallel effect blocks and then use the Input Gain or Level control to adjust the amount of effect you hear.

And finally, if you have parallel rows that are active simultaneously that are not ambient effects like I just described, note that each additional row will increase overall output level by 6dB.

VERY good to know about the 6db increase. Thanks!!!

Oh derp! So it's literally mimicking the distinction between parallel and series type effects?? That's cool
Exactly ;)

However, because of all the control we have in the Fractal devices, you can get quite creative in how it is used.

Thanks for the tag @unix-guy ....

In that particular example, there are two different Cab blocks/IRs (and accompanying Filter blocks) being used for two very different sounds (rhythm and lead tones). Since they are not being used at the same time, they could have been is the same path. But there would not have been enough spaces without using the 'Send' and 'Return' blocks. Also, the switching between the two tones is sometimes better when they are in separate rows.

Thanks for the tag @unix-guy ....

In that particular example, there are two different Cab blocks/IRs (and accompanying Filter blocks) being used for two very different sounds (rhythm and lead tones). Since they are not being used at the same time, they could have been is the same path. But there would not have been enough spaces without using the 'Send' and 'Return' blocks. Also, the switching between the two tones is sometimes better when they are in separate rows.

Thanks @Moke so I am guessing the CAB blocks are X/Y'd and set up "parallel" for economy, as well as the better switching.

That has always confused me about the whole parallel effects thing vs serial/in line..

Controlling/changing the parameters of effects like Reverb and Delay in Parallel don't respond the same as they do in serial.... never understood it .. :confused:

Thanks @Moke so I am guessing the CAB blocks are X/Y'd and set up "parallel" for economy, as well as the better switching.
No X/Y being used in the Cab blocks. The reason for the two Cab blocks is to avoid using X/Y. The reason for the Cab blocks are in separate paths is for better switching between the two tones. Having the two cab blocks in the same path can sometimes cause issues when switching between them. It seems that both will be active for a split second, causing a quick 'blip' during the transition? It's usually better to have them in their own path (both set to 'mute' when bypassed) and switch between them with scenes.

BTW... This is and AX8 thread and the screenshot that you posted is from the Axe-Fx II demo video. The AX8 version uses one stereo Cab block with the two IRs in the left and right slots. The 'GateExp' block in front of the Cab block is using the X/Y function to select which IR to use. The X state is panned left, and the Y state is panned right. The 'GateExp' X/Y switching is much faster/better than the Cab block X/Y switching.

Last edited:
That has always confused me about the whole parallel effects thing vs serial/in line..

Controlling/changing the parameters of effects like Reverb and Delay in Parallel don't respond the same as they do in serial.... never understood it .. :confused:
You need to use mix at 100% because otherwise you are duplicating "dry" signal, too.

Think of it like this:

Let's say that you put a Delay in serial with Mix at 25%. That means that 75% of your incoming signal is now passing thru unaffected and 25% is not.

Now put the same block in parallel. You get 100% of your dry signal on one path and 75% on the other PLUS a 6dB boost in overall gain (level).

I am over simplifying because I don't think the math here is quite that simple... But it illustrates the point.

This is a good discussion...

In the OP screen shot the parallel chain is bypassed.

Does simply having a parallel chain add 6dB to the output? (If they are passthru not mute on bypass)

Does it matter where the parallel section is? As in, does it need to go straight to the output?

Also, if you put a parallel section before the amp block would that drive the amp harder? Kinda like an overdrive?

You need to use mix at 100% because otherwise you are duplicating "dry" signal, too.

Think of it like this:

Let's say that you put a Delay in serial with Mix at 25%. That means that 75% of your incoming signal is now passing thru unaffected and 25% is not.

Now put the same block in parallel. You get 100% of your dry signal on one path and 75% on the other PLUS a 6dB boost in overall gain (level).

I am over simplifying because I don't think the math here is quite that simple... But it illustrates the point.

Thanks! That makes more sense now for sure..

Back
Top Bottom