Basic 'natural science' education?

M-kay guys.

Divergent opinions okay to share here, m-kay, but let's not get on pulpits and go down these rabbit-holes too far. :cool:
Yeah, you're right these kind of topics get heated real fast... I only wish people would be a little bit more skeptical of authority... like... real scientists!

BTW: What's your take on the current replication crisis in social and natural sciences? Sure seems like a lot of modern scientists are in it for the status and money that comes with a PhD title. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of them, when push comes to shove, can cozy up to authority like it's no business...

Good stuff you guys. Long one here...

@Joker , I agree that science should be distinguished from scientism should be distinguished from "authoritarian" gov't public health messaging (which for good/bad is about manipulating the public, sometimes with good intent, sometimes with corrupt intent) should be distinguished from Big Pharma (which can provide 'public goods' but can also be corrupted by its own interests) should be distinguished from people with pet science ideas (which are usually about their self-interests and might be 'valid' in some way, but they haven't done the experiments or had external verification) and so on. It's a mess.

What seems different about the last 10-20 years especially is a growing ubiquitous skepticism and cynicism across the board of all power and institutions ranging from gov't to corporations to science itself. The average person is not wrong that corruption and lying happens all over for whatever group's financial or political self-interest.

Skepticism is necessary to a degree to not be duped in life or to not make a fatal error based on bad information. Skepticism is also necessary in science, and that's what distinguishes the long-term scientific process: it can learn and self-correct very rapidly compared to tribal knowledge, personal opinion, ideology, etc. A charismatic 'science author' may have a cool pet theory (say, which contradicts mainstream science), and he/she might win a lot of non-scientific minds and sell a lot of books. But that's not science unless and until it gets vetted in a larger community over time. (Of course, that can be difficult if the mainstream rejects it out of hand, but if it has some merit or glimmer of truth, it's likely someone will take it up as there are always curious researchers on the fringes.)

Trust is also necessary to survive in life and in science. After 10 or 1000 experiments show something similar, maybe we can trust the results or theory (for the time being). That doesn't mean the theory is fully objective or infallible or universal or that some situation could flip it on its head and change how we see things fundamentally. That doesn't mean that some verified theory or process couldn't be co-opted or messaged in a way that serves some public or business interest. (Are m-RNAs vaccines or something else? Are they safe or is that still an unknown?)

But it seems to me that total skepticism, cynicism and bad faith about whichever institution, group, or idea one distrusts or hates means we fully reject groups or "powers" that are different from or opaque to or seemingly opposed to me/us, even if there is some good to them. "They are up to no good, see, there's all this evidence! They want to take X from us and do Y to us..." That's also not science, even if the impulse is understandable. And if that were the case, I understand resisting and fighting those Master/Boss/Goliath Villains (take your pick).

There actually is manipulation, lying, fixing, corruption, back-room deals, quid-pro-quos, dark money, now entrenched in what seemed to be 'good faith institutions' to varying degrees. We tend to ignore it or give it a pass when it's in our favor. Or we relent and say "That's just the way it is. You got to play the game or you just get screwed." Which is also true... if that's the only game we can imagine.

Now with social media, we can cherry pick (or the algorithm cherry picks) information that confirms and reinforces our leanings, beliefs, biases, and traumas. It appears like there is a ton of confirming 'evidence' (no matter what 'side') because it is mainlined right into our brains. We get jacked up on it. Anonymity means folks can throw whatever into the fire without consequences. No elder or authority is going to chastise you or shame you for being a troll or stirring things up just because it gets you off from your parent's basement.

I think some skepticism of all institutions is justified. When it comes to something like Covid and the vaccines, the mainstream media and gov't failed to maintain neutrality and convey the actual nuances and uncertainties. Rather: Do this; oh, now don't do that. Fear this; now don't fear that. The vaccines are all the same; oh, they're different. Never mix-and-match, mix-and-match is actually better. The pandemic is getting worse, it's better now, it's horrible again, it's never going away. Granted none of us (experts included) have lived through this kind of thing. The messaging was fucked up.

The problem is that gov't didn't trust the populace as adults who could listen to nuance, uncertainty, and even indecision and make our own somewhat-informed decisions. They bullshitted to get people to do or not do things, much like a parent might to a child. Most people don't understand the vaccine trial process vs. public health messaging. 'Authority' becomes a black box that lies for one reason or another.

Last edited:
Another part of the human equation which can readily contradict 'science', I just realized (duh)...

If many of my fb or real 'friends' share some piece of information/advice/caution (whatever it is), I will likely trust it more than information/advice/caution from some 'authority' who doesn't know me or give a shit about me personally (and has even bullshitted me/us). Even if 'scientific statistics' show X, are those statistics legitimate, have they been doctored, do they apply to me at all? Even if they're legitimate, my peers (and 1000 fb friends) say Y and that feels better to trust or believe because at least I belong, there is solidarity. Plus, if I have some doubt about Y (or both X and Y), I'm the contrarian or outlier, and I could be 'cancelled' or ostracized from my peers. That would suck.

A 'scientist' or 'rationalist' would look at claims X and Y and Z and try determine the truth or probability of being true or reliable on their own merits to whatever extent possible. But X and Y and Z are spun and filtered through institutions, MSM, gov't, corporations, social media, friends. So X, Y, Z are not necessarily X, Y, Z. We have convolution of functions: b(a(X)) vs. g(f(Y)) vs. q(p(Z)) etc. X may be the 'raw' information (which itself might be reliable or unreliable), a is the messenger and b is the external message. There could be many different messengers a and many messages b. Of course messenger a could have messaging c of Y (c(a(Y)) or messaging d of f's messaging g of Y (d(a(g(f(Y)))) and so on.

And we are in a world where information, spin, and bias are convolved, iterated, and construed in multiple ways. It's an interesting wild-west 'info-belief' ecosystem.

Last edited:
It's not simply a matter of pure freedom of choice vs. totalitarian constraint but certain freedoms vs certain constraints mixed in with symbolism and tribalism. It's rather fascinating if it wasn't also scary. [I'm looking at this from a meta/systems perspective not ideological or political - so I don't want to drag this thread into that direction.]

Ya lost me in the none black and white subtleties. :)

Another part of the human equation which can readily contradict 'science', I just realized (duh)...

If many of my fb or real 'friends' share some piece of information/advice/caution (whatever it is), I will likely trust it more than information/advice/caution from some 'authority' who doesn't know me or give a shit about me personally (and has even bullshitted me/us). Even if 'scientific statistics' show X, are those statistics legitimate, have they been doctored, do they apply to me at all? Even if they're legitimate, my peers (and 1000 fb friends) say Y and that feels better to trust or believe because at least I belong, there is solidarity. Plus, if I have some doubt about Y (or both X and Y), I'm the contrarian or outlier, and I could be 'cancelled' or ostracized from my peers. That would suck.

A 'scientist' or 'rationalist' would look at claims X and Y and Z and try determine the truth or probability of being true or reliable on their own merits to whatever extent possible. But X and Y and Z are spun and filtered through institutions, MSM, gov't, corporations, social media, friends. So X, Y, Z are not necessarily X, Y, Z. We have convolution of functions: b(a(X)) vs. g(f(Y)) vs. q(p(Z)) etc. X may be the 'raw' information (which itself might be reliable or unreliable), a is the messenger and b is the external message. There could be many different messengers a and many messages b. Of course messenger a could have messaging c of Y (c(a(Y)) or messaging d of f's messaging g of Y (d(a(g(f(Y)))) and so on.

And we are in a world where information, spin, and bias are convolved, iterated, and construed in multiple ways. It's an interesting wild-west 'info-belief' ecosystem.

Hello, Limbic System! I feel my Amygdala getting inflamed. :)

The failure and fault in logic and reason is to presume that logic and reason
are what determines choice, decision-making, who and who not to trust, and
so forth, no?

Emotions are the scafffolding of our choices in ways we still don't understand. Which
is precisely what social media conglomerates understand better than the majourity
of the people using those platforms do.

Skepticism of science is a curious phenomenon. It can come off as sounding
a little like the Roman Inquisition and a denial of everything that challenges
the Orthodoxy of the Age.

And yet, those skeptical of science and scientists (except for those "scientists" on
the fringes) will contend that the Establishment and Orthodoxy of our day is a Religion
we call "Science." --- and that they are the true "Truth-tellers" and "Revolutionaries."

Can you say, "confusing?" :)

The problem is that gov't didn't trust the populace as adults who could listen to nuance, uncertainty, and even indecision and make our own somewhat-informed decisions.

I feel like you maybe haven't met and interacted very many people, have you???

:)

Tru dat (I'm an introvert after all ;)). But I have traveled during the pandemic to politically different areas and met very nice people (while wisely avoiding certain topics).

Yet, I'm also a believer in the reciprocity principle. If you treat people (your citizenry) like impulsive children or crazed idiots they readily satisfy that role (and you can easily confirm your fears that everyone is an child/idiot). 'Parental' gov't authority doesn't fly well particularly in the US. We have a history of dissent which is allowed within certain parameters of civility and respect for life (usually).

If the gov't behaved like adults (rather than authoritarian parents or scared children attempting to spin/control) and treated citizens like adults and at least some of us would behave that way and maybe we'd have a bit less polarization and having to pick a 'side' rather than straddling both or understanding both. Asking questions and having doubt is okay. Adults have to make a lot of partially-informed or gut-based choices and take the consequences.

There's too much to know and learn these days.

Even people who eschew authorities (gov't, science ...) look to their own authorities/experts to get info boiled down into chunks they can mentally and emotionally accept. Dopamine is a thing. Cog-dis is a thing. It causes anxiety, confusion, hysteria, acting out.

While I was at one time a particle physicist, nowadays general principles of nature and life appeal to me more than specialized knowledge. One of the biggest problems we have is how to live with each other (and on the planet). That's never been solved. It may never be solved, but it fascinates me.

Numerous people who are smarter, far more morally righteous, decent and humane than I have tried
to reason and appeal to our better selves over the course of millennia.

They usually end up assassinated, though.

Tru dat (I'm an introvert after all ;)). But I have traveled during the pandemic to politically different areas and met very nice people (while wisely avoiding certain topics).

Yet, I'm also a believer in the reciprocity principle. If you treat people (your citizenry) like impulsive children or crazed idiots they readily satisfy that role (and you can easily confirm your fears that everyone is an child/idiot). 'Parental' gov't authority doesn't fly well particularly in the US. We have a history of dissent which is allowed within certain parameters of civility and respect for life (usually).

If the gov't behaved like adults (rather than authoritarian parents or scared children attempting to spin/control) and treated citizens like adults and at least some of us would behave that way and maybe we'd have a bit less polarization and having to pick a 'side' rather than straddling both or understanding both. Asking questions and having doubt is okay. Adults have to make a lot of partially-informed or gut-based choices and take the consequences.

I don't think it is fair to blame gov't anymore than it is to lay the root cause
of divisiveness at the feet of any other singular cause. We have had alternating
control of the steering wheel of bureaucracy in the hands of different parties and
people and the underlying mistrust, wanton ignorance, and incivility has gone back
farther than the Alexander Hamilton/Aaron Burr duel to the death.

A Buddhist might say that what we all wrestle with his internal and intrinsic to humanity
itself, and not the result of ANY external cause. I am not a Buddhist, though. :)

Good catch. Not blame (of a single cause or factor) but recognition of an alternate possibility (in hindsight?). Hindsight is not 20-20 but really easy to be 'right' or righteous about. I fall into that too often.

Yes there so many coordinating, confounding, and oscillating factors (always).

I'm no Buddhist. So I'll say without justification that the outer is a manifestation of inner and the outer affects the inner. Loops of subjective and objective, thoughts and things...

That raises the question, what is 'consciousness'? ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom