Basic Footswitch?

rmp5s

Inspired
Just want to check...

Basic TRS/TS footswitches work with the Axe-FX II, right?

I'm just wanting to get a basic 2 button one to use for looping...just Rec/Dub and Start/Stop. Looking for the cheapest way to do it while I continue to tell myself I don't need an MFC101...

Thanks!

Boss latching and non-latching pedals work. An external looper might be cheaper and easier to set up and use though.

I assume that you are plugging directly into the Axe-Fx and not the MFC-101, since you posted in the Axe-Fx II section?. You'll need an XL or XL+ to use two switches. The Mark I/II units only have one pedal input.

Boss latching and non-latching pedals work. An external looper might be cheaper and easier to set up and use though.

I actually have a Ditto that I'd like to use, but I'm not real sure how it'd work the best. Thought about putting it the FX loop but after toying with it a little, I have no idea how to do it. Figured it'd be easier to just run it into the PA by putting it between the Axe and the PA on the left. It'd be easiest, yes, but if I could just plug a little footswitch into the Axe and use the built in one, that'd be even easier.

I assume that you are plugging directly into the Axe-Fx and not the MFC-101, since you posted in the Axe-Fx II section?. You'll need an XL or XL+ to use two switches. The Mark I/II units only have one pedal input.

Yes, plugging into the Axe. If I had the MFC, I wouldn't be in this position. :p One pedal input would work fine if it can take a two-button switch.

Thanks, guys!

Yes, plugging into the Axe. If I had the MFC, I wouldn't be in this position. :p One pedal input would work fine if it can take a two-button switch.

Thanks, guys!
Unfortunately, it won't...... The Mark I/II units can only handle one expression pedal OR one switch....

I used a Ditto with my AX8 and it worked fine. If I recall correctly, I just put an FX block after the amp in the signal chain and then ran FX in and out to the Ditto.

So let's get it straight... If I plug in a regular footswitch, from, let's say, a laney tube amp, will it work?
It completely depends on the switch and the jack. If you are plugging into the 'Pedal' input(s) on the back of the Axe-Fx II, it should be a TS plug. TRS is for plugging in an expression pedal.

I used a Ditto with my AX8 and it worked fine. If I recall correctly, I just put an FX block after the amp in the signal chain and then ran FX in and out to the Ditto.

I tried doing it this way and didn't have any luck. I shall re-attempt though as this would be ideal...

Why not email this1smyne re the R2E2? He makes switches for Strymons and Eventides, I'm sure he'd have good advice. It's a $30 switch. Would be worth the effort imo. (not affiliated, just a satisfied customer)

So, I put an FX loop block in the chain and everything gets SUPER quiet. I know it's not my Ditto because it does the same thing even if I run a cable directly from the L FX Send to the L FX Return on the back. Not sure why...FX Loop block is set to 0DB...everything's flat.

What am I missing?

I'd email this1smyne if I couldn't get this to work. The Ditto in the FX Loop will do the trick...if I can just figure out why the FX Loop block makes the signal so quiet.

Even when I turn it up all the way, it's still pretty quiet.

Knob at 100% should produce unity gain through loop. How much quieter would you estimate a cable in the loop is, vs. FXL block bypassed?

Did you select the proper Input 2 mode ("left only" if using just one return cable to In 2L) and adjust Input 2 level as described in the manual?

Is your output 2 global EQ set flat with gain slider at 0 dB?

Do you have a MIDI controller or any MIDI-capable software running w/ USB cable connected? You may want to set Output 2 Volume to "none" at the I/O: CTRL menu (for now) and restart the Axe-FX, to rule out something lowering Out 2 value.

If unity gain still isn't happening, the FXL output level parameter can eliminate the difference.

There are so many levels, settings, etc and if you miss one or get one wrong, it can screw everything up. I'm thinking that's probably what the deal is here. I'll check everything out and see what's going on because right now, I have no idea. lol

Thanks!!

Knob at 100% should produce unity gain through loop. How much quieter would you estimate a cable in the loop is, vs. FXL block bypassed?

Did you select the proper Input 2 mode ("left only" if using just one return cable to In 2L) and adjust Input 2 level as described in the manual?

Is your output 2 global EQ set flat with gain slider at 0 dB?

Do you have a MIDI controller or any MIDI-capable software running w/ USB cable connected? You may want to set Output 2 Volume to "none" at the I/O: CTRL menu (for now) and restart the Axe-FX, to rule out something lowering Out 2 value.

If unity gain still isn't happening, the FXL output level parameter can eliminate the difference.

Setting Input 2 to "L Only" helped as it was set to "L+R Sum"...which makes sense why that'd be quiet.

It still sounds...weird...though. And I noticed the Output 2 clipping hard.

So...yea...it's better but I still have some levels to tweak. Noticed even my guitar input clipping a bit so going to have to fix that too.

Thanks for the help! Getting there! lol

Back
Top Bottom