Basic concepts for choosing and mixing IR's. The Amp in the Room.

However, from what I understand, IR's that are NOT mixes are created with a reference microphone, not a mic like an SM 57 that colors the sound of the speaker. It seems to me that if one wants to get an "amp in the room sound" then the IR should be treated with just a null mic and use proximity to create the "room." That said, I understand the approach you're taking and I could be completely off base in my premise.

The current thinking from FAS, Ownhamer and TAF is to use normal guitar micing techniques, aka an SM57 not a reference mic.

The "mix" IR's are just a convenience. The individual IR's that make them up are available too. And those are not captured with reference mics (typically these days... trends change :))

I've always wondered about this. Why have a mic sim if all of the stock IR's are shot in traditional ways? Or were some of the stock IR's shot with reference mics? When a mic sim is used is it in series or parallel?

I rented all the common mic's, and did many IR shoots using the standard mic methods as if I was playing a live gig and putting a mic on the cab and/or recording in a room in a studio. I then did many IR shoots using a reference mic in all the same positions and also with various positions around the room, up to 20 feet away from the cab. Comparing side by side, the IR's taken with the reference mic are more clear, more open, and just more definition. It is also my opinion that they sound better as there is no exaggerated frequencies or proximity roll off. They still sound very similar to the IR's captured with coloring mics, but cleaner and full, I will always be using a reference mic or capture from here on out as it's a better base to tweak from IMO.

I'd love to hear your comparisons. Have you posted any of this stuff? IR's or audio samples? What reference mic did you use?

I disagree.

At any rate, after spending A LOT OF TIME I managed some great mono mixes, which I then use 2 cab blocks and run in stereo in the Axe FX II. Only after seeing the end result and mixing the mixes in stereo within the Axe FX, can one really go back and change things to achieve better results. It's been a long process and I'm not 100% done yet, but I've learned what I needed to and "get it" now.

As usual these are only my opinions, and it works for me, right or wrong.

Hi

Would you mind to post a preset with some explanation?

Beeing 56 I am very much after what you describe.In the before Ultra days there was Scotts way with a stereo cab using one room IR.
So I really like to find even better ways.

Thanks in advance

Roland

I play from time to time in a church( I am from Europe-church is 500+ years old).And although I use this days only the Axe-->Still (of course extreme example) it cannot reproduce what my Mark V can do when you put the cab in front of the organ (a bit higher where the pipes are-which sems the acoustic hotspot church designer had in mind).

I am getting the 'StudioDelta' pak. I think it would be great to use all the usual suspects - 57 on grill, large condensers on ambients and pencil condensers in room, for one example. One question i have though, is do IR loaders allow you to adjust the offset-delay of each IR?
Say you want to preserve the natural delay of a real room mic in studio?
Or what if you wanted to eliminate the natural delay? (not as important i guess).

I am getting the 'StudioDelta' pak. I think it would be great to use all the usual suspects - 57 on grill, large condensers on ambients and pencil condensers in room, for one example. One question i have though, is do IR loaders allow you to adjust the offset-delay of each IR?
Say you want to preserve the natural delay of a real room mic in studio?
Or what if you wanted to eliminate the natural delay? (not as important i guess).

Hey Billy.

Some DAW IR loaders let you do this (MixIR does) I think you can offset it by up to 3 secs (cant be sure)

But yes I agree, the Room mics are the most important thing in guitar recording. (for me) as I like that vintage fat recorded tone, Modern music uses a different approach with more direct, the rooms in the delta come in 3 sets (both L+R) to choose, 2 foot away for the Close, 5 foot away for the Med, and 10 feet away for the Far.. captured in stereo Pair of matched U87's, then split into mono for use anywhere.. sometimes I like to mix a bit, sometimes lots, and recently I tracked a record with JUST the Far room mics on the left, pure vibe!

What is really _really_ nice.. is use one of the direct mixes. then split the L+R Room far mics and pan them L+R with directs center.. - no good for recording like this obv. but wow what a spacious 3d tone it offers...

But the best thing of all really about using a DAW loader is that you can then change the sound after you recorded it.. just drag a cab IR ot two into the loader and off you go!..

NOTICE:
This is not exclusive to my own material, as Im sure other commercial companies also offer the same as me and you can also look elsewhere for the same type & style. this post is not intentional for pushing my own material, I was simply speaking about the product to a potential customer..

What is really _really_ nice.. is use one of the direct mixes. then split the L+R Room far mics and pan them L+R with directs center.. - no good for recording like this obv. but wow what a spacious 3d tone it offers...
[/I]

Huh? Why is that no good for recording that way? :numbness:

Huh? Why is that no good for recording that way? :numbness:

Don't get me wrong, recording this way is still great.. but..

Because its stereo, - its great if its just one guitar track, but not for layered guitar music that most people seem to want to do today..i.e Pan guitar Hard L, and double track, then the same for the right..

You can layer Stereo mixes if you keep them as they are, but the sound will change if you pan them.. - so most folk don't record stereo much.. (apart from Lead solos)

I see what you mean. Ya, there's all kinds of asymmetrical perspectives, and just one center perspective, so center can get crowded fast.

Back
Top Bottom