Basic concepts for choosing and mixing IR's. The Amp in the Room.

Narzugon

Power User

Disclaimer: As you will hear I don't play slide. You will also hear that I don't know the intro to the Bonamassa song that I was butchering. But I was looking for fat Marshallesque riffs and ran across that song. I spent 5 minutes with it and recorded it. Great riff and fun to play even if I was playing it wrong. Oh, and this is meant to be played loud. Very loud. If not the track, the preset if you choose to create it. \m/

I wanted to share some basic concepts with those who haven't tried mixing IR's or those who have problems getting basic tones. There is no right or wrong way but this is how I approach it. I hope it helps someone. I encourage posting you're own ideas/concepts, micing techniques and mix recipes.

Ideas for basic tweaking:

1: Treat the virtual gear as real world gear. When you plug into a real amp you usually tweak the knobs on the front panel. Do the same in the Axe. Start with the amp's basic controls. Most people don't take the amp apart and start changing things. So don't feel that you should with the virtual amp. If the amp isn't getting it for you at this point you probably need to choose a different amp or different cab. There are plenty so don't feel guilty. It could also be that you don't have real world experience with the amp you're going for. Therefore you may have unrealistic expectations. Don't sweat it. If the basic controls aren't getting it, move on.

2: Start simple and try to keep it as simple as you can. Start with amp type that interests you then choose it's best matched cab. IE: The cab type it may have been paired with by the manufacture. Dial in the amp using just the basic controls. 15 minutes tops.

3: Once you're feeling good or at least in the ball park it's time to pick the IR(s) that you're going to use. I can't stress this enough. Do some homework and get familiar with basic mics and micing techniques for your style of music. Treat these IR's as real world mics. By having at least a little bit of knowledge in this area allows you to:

A: Choose a cab type without auditioning 100's.
B: Choose a mic that you like without auditioning 100's.
C: Choose a few mic positions to audition without auditioning 100's.
D: Choose a second or third mic IR with an idea of how they will blend with the first mic without auditioning 100's.

4: If I'm happy with my results at this point I would consider this my foundation. My "amp in the room". I can take my "amp in the room" anywhere now and adapt it. Like a real amp, if I were to record with it I would probably need to do some pre or post EQ to make it fit in that particular mix. The same for a live situation. If so add the appropriate EQ where needed on the grid. You don't need to open your amp and start soldering.

On to the amp and cab in my preset. This is not the greatest Marshall tone ever but I like it and I didn't have to over think anything to get it. It was actually pretty easy. My goal was to create a raw Marshall tone that I would want to play loud. \m/

I chose a Jumpered Plexi 100 watt head to work with. For vintage Marshalls the stock TV cab is my pick for a match. So I put those two on the grid and draw my connections across the grid.

I do basic front panel tweaks to the amp at this point just as I would on a real amp. From years of experience with old Marshalls I usually turn everything to 11 \m/ and then adjust to taste. Less low end if it gets woofy or less highs/pres if it gets too ice picky. In this case I wanted to start w/o the Bright Switch engaged.

Mars_Amp_Basic.jpg

As I work the EQ to taste I'm also working the amount of drive or distortion (Treble Drive and Normal Drive) IF I need to. The input trim is handy if you can't get the preamp gain where you want it. You could also use it to compensate for stronger or weaker pickups. It's similar to the Boost switch but obviously allows you to dial the amount up or down. Experiment.

The more Master Volume you add the more it will compress the highs and lows which will pump the mids. I generally do not like a lot of compression so I will usually back off of the MV to open up the sound a bit. Personal preference. Experiment. Find the MV setting where it starts compressing to see if you like it. Once you find that play with the amount of gain. More or less. See how the amp sounds and feels.

One last thing that I like to change on most of the vintage Marshall models is the MV location to Post-PI (Amp block > Power page). I could copy and paste the rocket science info on it but I don't fully understand it. However, I can hear the difference!

Mars_Amp_Power.jpg

Now that I'm happy with the amp's sound using a temporary cab, I'm ready to mix my own. I want to use the new UR version of the TV cab from Fractal's new Cab Pack 5. Here's where real world knowledge of mics and techniques come in. There are an astronomical amount of IR's available. So just flipping through them is an insane waste of time. Take 30 minutes and google some mics and how they're used. Look up who produced your favorite music and then Google tips and techniques they've used. A little goes a long way.

Generally speaking, a real world micing technique is auditioning a mic at different locations on and away from the speaker until you find the spot you like. If you're starting from scratch you may want to start at the center of the speaker (the cap) and audition. Move the mic a little or a lot depending on how methodical you want to be and audition.

Some IR collections will give you a lot of positions for each mic. Such as Cap, Cap Edge, Cone, Cone Edge, Cap 1", Cap Edge 1", Off Axis, etc. Some collections may only include what they consider to be the best mics and positions. Cap positions are generally brighter while cone positions get darker.

With "simple" in mind I chose the SM57. Probably one of the most used mics in live and recording. When placed around the cap it gives a raspiness to the top end that I like. Since I know I'm wanting a Cap position I load just the SM57 Cap IR's. Cap, Cap Edge and Cap Edge B. I audition those and prefer the "Cap" position. So I load it into my cab and turn the Mic type to "None". I normally add a bit of Motor Drive as well. It emulates a speaker being driven but I forgot to add a little here. Note to self.

Mars_Speaker_1.jpg

By itself my single cab is pretty trebly. But I also want to add Room IR's which I know will add some low end. So I load up the TV cab ambient IR's and auditioned. 121Back, Room C, Room L and Room R. I really liked the 121Back IR but I didn't care for the others. So I tried other Basketweave Room Mic IR's from other collections. I settled on The Amp Factory's Left Room Mic from thier "Legends" collection.

Mars_Speaker_2.jpg

I added a second cab to the grid and made it a stereo cab. I load the 121Back and the Left Room IR's and turn the Mic type to None. By turning the mic type to None you are turning Mic emulation off as well as any mic related controls such as Proximity.

Time to mix these and make final adjustments if needed. My idea for this preset is to attempt to capture the essence of a Marshall being played loudly in a room. By default things are panned to noon. I leave the 57 there and hard pan the 121Back and Room_L opposite each other. Audition and tweak the levels.

The idea is again real world. I have a Marshall in the middle of a room being played. While I have the 57 panned center I have the Back and other room mic panned wide to create the space of that room. The low end of the back mic and the other freq's of the room combine with the speakers to give a whole sound. Much like a real cab in a room does.

A fun thing to try at this point is delay one or more cabinets (Cabinet page - Delay). It can really widen the sound. I like delaying just one of the ambient mics to create an even wider space.

At this point I have my "Amp in the Room" that I can adapt to other situations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a few ways to load, audition and mix IR's. But since I basically knew what I wanted I just loaded x number of IR's at a time via Axe Edit and auditioned there. I also loaded a mono cab and a stereo cab because I had a good idea of what I wanted. In this case mixing the room mics along with the 57 into a single IR wouldn't achieve the same effect as using the two cab blocks since you can't "pan" IR's in Cablab.

While listening to that Bonamassa track I noticed how dark his tone was. If I was going for that tone and I knew he recorded it with a similar Marshall and cab I could try using EQ's or I could try using different mic IR's. In some cases a darker mic is all you need.

Experiment. Remove the room mics but keep the 57 in place. Try blending a darker mic on a different position of the speaker. If you find something you like, mix those in Cablab and replace the 57 IR with it. If you like the room mic load them back into a stereo cab block. A lot of famous guitar tracks are done with anything from single mics to multiple mic's.

A classic combo is a 57 and a 121 or U87. A fun thing a buddy turned me on to is a single 121 dead on the cap. Add a wide bell EQ and boost 5k to 7k to taste.

My approach has always been use real world concepts, techniques and logic when you can. But keep in mind that the Axe allows us to go beyond real world boundaries.

The more experience you have with the real world counterparts (amps-cabs-mics-recording-live) the easier the Axe is IMO. The bulk of my experience is in live performance. I'm just now digging into recording techniques and mics which I find really practical with the Axe.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the Bonamassa part I used an Epiphone LP copy with a Bare Knuckles Nail Bomb pickup. A bit hotter than my other PAF style PUPs but for that tune it pushed the front of the amp just a tad bit more which sounded good to me. Everything after that was a Suhr Custom Classic strat with a DSV+ bridge and the ML Classic single coils.

The beginning of each section is recorded w/o reverb. I like hearing the raw amp and cab w/o effects first. I then added verb just for ear candy. Turn it up. It's meant for loud play. \m/

Kind of late to listen to the clip and stuff here, but just going through your comments and stuff there is a definite similarity between how you and I tweak. I just happen to prefer to use Cab Lab to mix IR's for easy recall later. But the mic selections are almost exactly the same. I love the 57/121 combo and I wish that there were more 87 IR's out there; it's easily one of my favorites as well. Not sure if you mentioned it here, but two other things that I may do with the cab is load a null mic so that I can use some of the options without coloring the tone (proximity for example). Another that I haven't done since v15 is add some room level as this helped with headphones. Not really a big thing these days, but it's cool.

I just happen to prefer to use Cab Lab to mix IR's for easy recall later.....

Not sure if you mentioned it here, but two other things that I may do with the cab is load a null mic so that I can use some of the options without coloring the tone (proximity for example). Another that I haven't done since v15 is add some room level as this helped with headphones. Not really a big thing these days, but it's cool.

I have Cablab and use it as well. In this example the two room IR's panned left and right kept me from using it. If I mixed those in Cablab I would loose the wide panning of the room mics.

For some reason I've never tried the null mic. I understand the purpose of it but it's just one of those things I haven't tried yet. On my list now. \m/

Last edited:
Hi Narzugon , really interesting ...
In the second image you have only first Ir panned hard and the TAF one at 21.3 Pan R , it is because of the difference in volume of the Irs itself or maybe it's an "intermediate " image during your tweaking ?

My "new" way of thinking about Ir's is to audition same Cab Libraries with AxeSend and mark wich I like ( obviously with a "matched amp " )
Finally It seems I always dig the 57 , 121 , and some U87 ... Rarely I mark something different and I'm not looking to the names .
Are You considering your approach more Live bassyside (like some of the factory Ir ) or more polished "trebley"

I really like what I ear in my studio and in my recordings ( trebley way ) but I'm a little perplexed of this approach for gigs ... I still using real Mesa and Fx with my band

Very informative, thanks! Question, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy: if you're looking for an "amp in the room sound," why would you use a mic at all? By doing so, aren't you really getting "a miked amp coming through the PA sound?"

In the second image you have only first Ir panned hard and the TAF one at 21.3 Pan R , it is because of the difference in volume of the Irs itself or maybe it's an "intermediate " image during your tweaking ?

I typed the post before I took the screen shots. The screen shots are current. I panned the 57 off center and then dialed the panning of the room mic by ear to fit a mix I was using the amp in. I meant to explain that but it slipped my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.

My "new" way of thinking about Ir's is to audition same Cab Libraries with AxeSend and mark wich I like ( obviously with a "matched amp " ) Finally It seems I always dig the 57 , 121 , and some U87 ... Rarely I mark something different and I'm not looking to the names .
Are You considering your approach more Live bassyside (like some of the factory Ir ) or more polished "trebley"

I really like what I ear in my studio and in my recordings ( trebley way ) but I'm a little perplexed of this approach for gigs ... I still using real Mesa and Fx with my band

If I understand the question correctly my intention for the cab mix was for recording. For live use, I think it would really depend. But my intention for the amp was to create an amp that I could use * as a foundation * anywhere. (*Edit*)

Last edited:
Very informative, thanks! Question, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy: if you're looking for an "amp in the room sound," why would you use a mic at all? By doing so, aren't you really getting "a miked amp coming through the PA sound?"

All IR's are captured with mics and if you didn't load an IR you'd get just the sound of the amp and no speakers. I understand where you're coming from though. Mics are tools to recreate what you hear or imagine hearing. So my work in progress is to learn how to capture the essence of an amp in a room with mics.

Normally I'm listening to a band's work or a song for the sake of the song or what ever. A few months ago I started listening to engineers and their work after talking to a buddy of mine who's very knowledgeable on the studio side of things. Being primarily a rock guy, I really liked Brendan O'Brien's work. Amazing how he (and others) can separate the instruments and give them such a 3D space. It's like you're standing in the room with the band. Listen to AC/DC's song "Black Ice" off of the album by the same name. Awesome work IMO.

Normally I'm listening to a band's work or a song for the sake of the song or what ever. A few months ago I started listening to engineers and their work after talking to a buddy of mine who's very knowledgeable on the studio side of things. Being primarily a rock guy, I really liked Brendan O'Brien's work. Amazing how he (and others) can separate the instruments and give them such a 3D space. It's like you're standing in the room with the band. Listen to AC/DC's song "Black Ice" off of the album by the same name. Awesome work IMO.

Well indeed you can never truly get an "in the room" sound with mics, and modern music is all about direct, this can have its pro's and cons in the marketplace, older records (Classic rock) for example used a different technique, where they used a selection of direct & room to create depth and space, - this is exactly my thought when I created the StudioDelta pack.. its exactly this. - unfortunately the axefx will never get you there for this as its aimed mostly for direct recording, (duplicating a miced amp) - so the room element wont & cant exist, mostly due to the IR length, and also because of the amount of IR's you would need to make this happen. - today's music seems to be like a well oiled machine, in & out of studios quick as possible, so some sacrifices has to be made.. yesteryear music, you would hang in a studio for a year BIG difference completely. engineers had time to experiment... now labels simply want a cookie cut template and off they go, and now matte how much you tell them there are better methods, they simply don't want to know (I argue this point all the time, I mix records for EMI, Sony, Virgin and warner bro)

A lot of people really miss the depth that music had.. there used to be a LOT less layering, and it was more about the recording of the instrument correctly.. with the StudioDelta release, I had a chance to bring things Oldschool again. you can practically re-create the space that your used to hearing on Zep records, or skynard etc etc..(using an external IR loader).. there is of course the direct mics, but it gives you choice. - a lot of younger guys grown up with digital devices and such wont understand this concept I have created, nor will they most likely listen to old Floyd records, or zep etc..and that's totally fine.. - but I truly believe in my own release and what it has to offer...once people "get it" they will _really_ "GET it" ya know..

In the olden days of mixing guitars, it was so different, we would concentrate more on the room mics than direct. - the direct would provide the aggressiveness and the tone, the room would provide the space/depth and vibe.. - listen again to some of the older records that used this technique, _really_ listen.. see what the space is doing.. - we used to add a floating" room sound in the background, and slowly pan this left to right through the song, giving the space thing a virtual 3d sense. (very low in the mix) - of course, it depends on what was being played, so one cant automatically apply a room and be happy.. it took skill and judgment to pull up faders at the right time.. blending he sound when necessary.. but it sure was a lot of fun. - today's records just don't have the same vibe...(as I said that's a good thing, and a bad thing)

You can get there with today's tech, including the axefx. but not by itself, it will need help getting there..

Well indeed you can never truly get an "in the room" sound with mics, and modern music is all about direct, this can have its pro's and cons in the marketplace, older records (Classic rock) for example used a different technique, where they used a selection of direct & room to create depth and space, - this is exactly my thought when I created the StudioDelta pack.. its exactly this. - unfortunately the axefx will never get you there for this as its aimed mostly for direct recording, (duplicating a miced amp) - so the room element wont & cant exist, mostly due to the IR length, and also because of the amount of IR's you would need to make this happen. - today's music seems to be like a well oiled machine, in & out of studios quick as possible, so some sacrifices has to be made.. yesteryear music, you would hang in a studio for a year BIG difference completely. engineers had time to experiment... now labels simply want a cookie cut template and off they go, and now matte how much you tell them there are better methods, they simply don't want to know (I argue this point all the time, I mix records for EMI, Sony, Virgin and warner bro)

A lot of people really miss the depth that music had.. there used to be a LOT less layering, and it was more about the recording of the instrument correctly.. with the StudioDelta release, I had a chance to bring things Oldschool again. you can practically re-create the space that your used to hearing on Zep records, or skynard etc etc..(using an external IR loader).. there is of course the direct mics, but it gives you choice. - a lot of younger guys grown up with digital devices and such wont understand this concept I have created, nor will they most likely listen to old Floyd records, or zep etc..and that's totally fine.. - but I truly believe in my own release and what it has to offer...once people "get it" they will _really_ "GET it" ya know..

In the olden days of mixing guitars, it was so different, we would concentrate more on the room mics than direct. - the direct would provide the aggressiveness and the tone, the room would provide the space/depth and vibe.. - listen again to some of the older records that used this technique, _really_ listen.. see what the space is doing.. - we used to add a floating" room sound in the background, and slowly pan this left to right through the song, giving the space thing a virtual 3d sense. (very low in the mix) - of course, it depends on what was being played, so one cant automatically apply a room and be happy.. it took skill and judgment to pull up faders at the right time.. blending he sound when necessary.. but it sure was a lot of fun. - today's records just don't have the same vibe...(as I said that's a good thing, and a bad thing)

You can get there with today's tech, including the axefx. but not by itself, it will need help getting there..

Since I've never used IRs anywhere but in the Axe-Fx, is there a "for dummies" explanation somewhere on how to deploy them in a DAW, plug-in, etc. (e.g., Logic)?

Well indeed you can never truly get an "in the room" sound with mics, and modern music is all about direct, this can have its pro's and cons in the marketplace, older records (Classic rock) for example used a different technique, where they used a selection of direct & room to create depth and space, - this is exactly my thought when I created the StudioDelta pack.. its exactly this. - unfortunately the axefx will never get you there for this as its aimed mostly for direct recording, (duplicating a miced amp) - so the room element wont & cant exist, mostly due to the IR length, and also because of the amount of IR's you would need to make this happen.

Agreed. I bought your Legends pack because I was excited to try your UR Room IR's of an old Marshall 4x12. I think at that time you were the first out with UR versions that included multiple room mics. I think room mic UR/IR's in general are just another step (no matter how small) in the right direction.

today's music seems to be like a well oiled machine, in & out of studios quick as possible, so some sacrifices has to be made.. yesteryear music, you would hang in a studio for a year BIG difference completely. engineers had time to experiment... now labels simply want a cookie cut template and off they go, and now matte how much you tell them there are better methods, they simply don't want to know (I argue this point all the time, I mix records for EMI, Sony, Virgin and warner bro)

Sadly more than recording techniques have gone the way of the disposable cookie cutter mentality.

Off the top of your head, for educational purposes, throw out a few specific recommendations if you don't mind. Songs or Albums. Also, what do you mean by an external IR loader? I'm assuming you mean a DAW plugin?

Cool post Andy.

All IR's are captured with mics and if you didn't load an IR you'd get just the sound of the amp and no speakers. I understand where you're coming from though. Mics are tools to recreate what you hear or imagine hearing. So my work in progress is to learn how to capture the essence of an amp in a room with mics.

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. I get that an IR needs to be captured with a mic. However, from what I understand, IR's that are NOT mixes are created with a reference microphone, not a mic like an SM 57 that colors the sound of the speaker. It seems to me that if one wants to get an "amp in the room sound" then the IR should be treated with just a null mic and use proximity to create the "room." That said, I understand the approach you're taking and I could be completely off base in my premise.

Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. I get that an IR needs to be captured with a mic. However, from what I understand, IR's that are NOT mixes are created with a reference microphone, not a mic like an SM 57 that colors the sound of the speaker. It seems to me that if one wants to get an "amp in the room sound" then the IR should be treated with just a null mic and use proximity to create the "room." That said, I understand the approach you're taking and I could be completely off base in my premise.

The current thinking from FAS, Ownhamer and TAF is to use normal guitar micing techniques, aka an SM57 not a reference mic.

The "mix" IR's are just a convenience. The individual IR's that make them up are available too. And those are not captured with reference mics (typically these days... trends change :))

The current thinking from FAS, Ownhamer and TAF is to use normal guitar micing techniques, aka an SM57 not a reference mic.

The "mix" IR's are just a convenience. The individual IR's that make them up are available too. And those are not captured with reference mics (typically these days... trends change :))

I disagree.

Since I was not able to ever really get "my tone" using stock IR's or cab pack IR's or any of the community made IR's. No matter what they were always missing something. I asked around, did a lot of research and a lot of reading. After getting no real answers, or answers that did not address my questions, I decided to shoot my own IR's and learn the process and see 1st hand how it translates and what I could do to get it working for me.

I rented all the common mic's, and did many IR shoots using the standard mic methods as if I was playing a live gig and putting a mic on the cab and/or recording in a room in a studio. I then did many IR shoots using a reference mic in all the same positions and also with various positions around the room, up to 20 feet away from the cab. Comparing side by side, the IR's taken with the reference mic are more clear, more open, and just more definition. It is also my opinion that they sound better as there is no exaggerated frequencies or proximity roll off. They still sound very similar to the IR's captured with coloring mics, but cleaner and full, I will always be using a reference mic or capture from here on out as it's a better base to tweak from IMO.

Anyways, IMO part of the reason so many complain that the "cab in the room" is not "there" with FRFR going direct is because the IR's you are using are only of the speaker, usually the cap, not the entire cabinet, so I set out to capture and reproduce the cabinet, how it resonates the in the room and air. IMO, I was quite successful and have had great results, however that's where it falls short. What I found disappointing is that Cab Lab is so limiting, and extremely hard to mix IR's with because 1st you are forced to a mono mix, 2nd the only thing you can mix is volume, and 3rd, it's not real time as you have to guess the levels, then audition it.... yes it can be done, but it is very unproductive.

At any rate, after spending A LOT OF TIME I managed some great mono mixes, which I then use 2 cab blocks and run in stereo in the Axe FX II. Only after seeing the end result and mixing the mixes in stereo within the Axe FX, can one really go back and change things to achieve better results. It's been a long process and I'm not 100% done yet, but I've learned what I needed to and "get it" now.

As usual these are only my opinions, and it works for me, right or wrong.

I disagree.

Since I was not able to ever really get "my tone" using stock IR's or cab pack IR's or any of the community made IR's. No matter what they were always missing something. I asked around, did a lot of research and a lot of reading. After getting no real answers, or answers that did not address my questions, I decided to shoot my own IR's and learn the process and see 1st hand how it translates and what I could do to get it working for me.

I rented all the common mic's, and did many IR shoots using the standard mic methods as if I was playing a live gig and putting a mic on the cab and/or recording in a room in a studio. I then did many IR shoots using a reference mic in all the same positions and also with various positions around the room, up to 20 feet away from the cab. Comparing side by side, the IR's taken with the reference mic are more clear, more open, and just more definition. It is also my opinion that they sound better as there is no exaggerated frequencies or proximity roll off. They still sound very similar to the IR's captured with coloring mics, but cleaner and full, I will always be using a reference mic or capture from here on out as it's a better base to tweak from IMO.

Anyways, IMO part of the reason so many complain that the "cab in the room" is not "there" with FRFR going direct is because the IR's you are using are only of the speaker, usually the cap, not the entire cabinet, so I set out to capture and reproduce the cabinet, how it resonates the in the room and air. IMO, I was quite successful and have had great results, however that's where it falls short. What I found disappointing is that Cab Lab is so limiting, and extremely hard to mix IR's with because 1st you are forced to a mono mix, 2nd the only thing you can mix is volume, and 3rd, it's not real time as you have to guess the levels, then audition it.... yes it can be done, but it is very unproductive.

At any rate, after spending A LOT OF TIME I managed some great mono mixes, which I then use 2 cab blocks and run in stereo in the Axe FX II. Only after seeing the end result and mixing the mixes in stereo within the Axe FX, can one really go back and change things to achieve better results. It's been a long process and I'm not 100% done yet, but I've learned what I needed to and "get it" now.

As usual these are only my opinions, and it works for me, right or wrong.

I think you misunderstood me.

I wasn't trying to say what IR capture technique is "good" or "bad" or anything else. Or to say anything yay or nay about the current state of commercial IR offerings.

All I was saying was "non-mix" IR's do not in any way imply reference microphones were used. That was my only point.

I'm glad you were able to create sounds that you like :)

actually I was responding to this comment.

I guess I rambled on a bit though huh?

actually I was responding to this comment.

I guess I rambled on a bit though huh?

not sure... lol

but you disagree that reference mics for ir capture are not in vogue with the current FAS, OH and TAF IR packs? I'm pretty sure reference mics are not being used for these IR's.

not sure... lol

but you disagree that reference mics for ir capture are not in vogue with the current FAS, OH and TAF IR packs? I'm pretty sure reference mics are not being used for these IR's.

No I disagree with the current thinking that this is the best method for capturing an IR. :pride:

Back
Top Bottom