Basic AX8 questions

epidemika

Hey everyone,

I'm a noob so I'm looking for some basic help how on to use this thing. My questions are:

1) Do I create the presents on the unit or in AX8-Edit?
2) I bought my unit used and it comes with Austin Buddy presets. I don't use 99% of these tones and I don't want them on there. Is there a way for me to get all these presets off my AX8 and saved onto my computer in case I want to use them later?
3) How do I limit the AX8 to just my own presets? I'm about to record a demo and I really don't see myself using more than 2 or 3 tones total.
4) Scenes - correct me if I'm wrong but those are basically situations where certain fx pedals are turned on or turned off, right? So I don't have to tap-dance on stage turning effects on or off? Alternatively can I just setup the buttons 1-8 on the board to toggle the on/off of effects in the chain?
5) If someone uploads a preset to the exchange, that usually does not include a cabinet, right?
6) Is an 'impulse reponse' (IR) just a cabinet or is that something else?
7) Live situation: I have a headrush 12" speaker which seems fine for at home, but in a live situation I believe I would still prefer to use a 4x12 cabinet. Is there a 4x12 FRFR cabinet to use with this thing? If not, what to AX8 users do if they still like a 4x12 cab?
8) Do the other newer Fractal units have a more user-friendly interface? I find the AX8 a little odd to mess with on the board itself, so my thinking is that I'd dial my sound on Ax8-Edit and just use the Ax8 to play live.
9) Can Ax8-Edit be used as a VST Plugin (for example to add coloration to a midi or audio signal in my DAW)?

Any help is appreciated!

Jesse

1) You can create presets either way. Probably easier using the editor.

2) Yes, you can backup the presets to your computer using Fractal-Bot.

3) There's lots of room on the AX8 for presets. You organize them so your presets are in the first banks. You could back everything up, then erase the presets on the AX8 and only store yours.

4) Correct! Scenes are awesome!

5) Depends, some do, some don't. If I recall, you save presets with and without the cab.

6) IR's are used to "reproduce the sounds of real speakers."

7) I'll leave this for people who play live.

8) See 1). The editor is definitely much easier and more user-friendly.

9) I'll leave this one for the experts. Never used VST's.

Last edited:
7. I play my AX8 through real cabs by plugging it into a VHT 2/50/2 and then into the cab. I love this. It sounds awesome. Most people who see this setup agree. I do not know about a 4x12 FRFR as I've never heard an FRFR setup that sounded nearly as good as going into a 2/50/2 into a cab or cabs.

1. It's more intuitive and quicker using AX8 Edit but presets can be created on the unit.
2. Answered above, backup presets you don't want to your computer or delete them.
3. You're in complete control over which presets are stored on the AX8 and where they're located.
4. You can have one of the three Function footswitches (far right column) set to <Single Scene>, then when you select a scene, the 8 'regular' footswitches can control effects. Alternatively, you can set it to <Sticky Scene> which keeps the scenes available on the 8 footswitches until you press the Function switch again, which will take you back to effects control.
5. Some do and some don't. If the preset was exported as a bundle, the IR should be present.
6. Yes, an IR is an Impulse Response of a mic'd cab.
7. Another option: I used to run the AX8 into the front of a plexi-type amp set just before the edge of breakup. Much better results than any power amp or running in an effects loop I tried. Kept the amp modeling on and turned off the cab. On the amp that was used, the treble needed to be turned down to around 1, but it sounded fantastic even on clean tones.
8. The newer models are a bit more intuitive and easier to navigate making preset creating or editing easier.
9. As answered above, no. It's a standalone program.

Back
Top Bottom