Basic Amp help

Noobie20

Hi all,would anyone be able to explain to me in lamens terms what the Input Trum does on an amp model? I've struggled to completely understand from what it states in the guide.

Thanks for the help

reduces or increases gain without changing tone. the actual Gain knob on most amps changes the tone in addition to gain with different settings.

Yeah, it controls the level going into the amp. Setting it higher than 1 is like putting a flat, clean boost in front of the amp. Setting it below 1 is sort of like turning a volume pedal in front of the amp down. For amps that have a high and low sensitivity input like older Fender and Marshall amps, the High sensitivity input is the one that is modeled. To simulate the Low sensitivity input, set Input Trim to 0.5 for half as much input signal.

reduces or increases gain without changing tone. the actual Gain knob on most amps changes the tone in addition to gain with different settings.

To add to the above, where the Input Trim is useful is when the amp has a Bypass Cap on the Input Level/Gain control, which, when it's turned up, increases/fattens the low end (and thins out when turned down).

You might find you like the overall tone at a particular setting of the Input Level but the distortion level is too much/too little; adjusting it to get the right amount of gain might result in you not liking the tone.

So, on some amps, setting the overall tone with the Input Level and and using the Input Trim to set distortion/gain can work very well.

I also use it on some amps to get more, or less, overall gain. I have a preset using the Band Commander amp where I have the Input Level full up and goose the Input Trim to get a bit more dirt....just the right amount.

Back
Top Bottom