Bark At The Moon VIDEO complete song with backing track

R.D. said:
O.K. Mark,

That’s awesome ( as usual ), but it struck me how smooth you make it look. Your technique is very consistent from beginning to end …. Damn, I wish mine was ! I’m envious ….

I’ve got a question …. You might have answered it in one of your other threads already, but if you did, it’s buried somewhere and I just haven’t found it !

But, what are you getting ( in the recording sound wise ) from each of the three ( 3 ) differrent sources that the “Axe-direct” wouldn’t do alone ? Extra bite, extra thump, extra body, etc; etc; ?

And if you could assign a %’tage to how much of each are you using ( ie; 50% Axe-direct, 35% SM-57 & 15% Edirol, etc; etc; …. ) ? What would it be ?

I know your time is at a premium right now, but I’d be interested to hear a short clip of each solo’ed to see what they’re adding ?

Thanks –

Hey Roger:

Usually recordings are thickened up by using different amps, guitars, mics, etc on different tracks and different takes and combining them. In order to get the thickest sound possible I have been experimenting with different sources and combining them even though I am doing just one take. By combining the different sources it gives the recording a "louder" sound. Just as some of the best sounding clips here are combined tracks using slightly different amp sims or speaker IR's or even just different mic models.

Here is the approximate %:
Direct 65%
Edirol 25%
SM57 10%

If you want to hear an example....in the first part of the BATM video I did, I explain that I overdubbed a part during the end of the first solo 29secs-37secs in the video, I also go on to explain that I overdubbed the end solo (50secs-58secs)...when I am explaining those parts what you hear is JUST the Edirol source because at the time my PT's is NOT recording so it is not picking up the SM57 or the direct source. It sounds very "room" and when combined with the direct source and close miked 57, the Edirol source will add a little "ambience" to the tracks.

Mark

I posted the following on another forum about one of the preset Mark used to record BATM. Might interest some of you too.

Man... I downloaded the last preset file you put here (the first one didn't give me any sound) and I'm always amazed by how fizzy a patch can sound just by itself. It also happened with other presets on the AFX forum where I was blown away by the mixed clip, and when I downloaded the preset, said to myself: "There must be some mistake". Pretty impressive what a mixed clip can do.

I adjusted my global eq like yours Mark. I did a very, very short try of your patch, just one guitar by itself. Here's the result .

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8198645

samhill said:
R.D. said:
O.K. Mark,

That’s awesome ( as usual ), but it struck me how smooth you make it look. Your technique is very consistent from beginning to end …. Damn, I wish mine was ! I’m envious ….

I’ve got a question …. You might have answered it in one of your other threads already, but if you did, it’s buried somewhere and I just haven’t found it !

But, what are you getting ( in the recording sound wise ) from each of the three ( 3 ) differrent sources that the “Axe-direct” wouldn’t do alone ? Extra bite, extra thump, extra body, etc; etc; ?

And if you could assign a %’tage to how much of each are you using ( ie; 50% Axe-direct, 35% SM-57 & 15% Edirol, etc; etc; …. ) ? What would it be ?

I know your time is at a premium right now, but I’d be interested to hear a short clip of each solo’ed to see what they’re adding ?

Thanks –

Hey Roger:

Usually recordings are thickened up by using different amps, guitars, mics, etc on different tracks and different takes and combining them. In order to get the thickest sound possible I have been experimenting with different sources and combining them even though I am doing just one take. By combining the different sources it gives the recording a "louder" sound. Just as some of the best sounding clips here are combined tracks using slightly different amp sims or speaker IR's or even just different mic models.

Here is the approximate %:
Direct 65%
Edirol 25%
SM57 10%

If you want to hear an example....in the first part of the BATM video I did, I explain that I overdubbed a part during the end of the first solo 29secs-37secs in the video, I also go on to explain that I overdubbed the end solo (50secs-58secs)...when I am explaining those parts what you hear is JUST the Edirol source because at the time my PT's is NOT recording so it is not picking up the SM57 or the direct source. It sounds very "room" and when combined with the direct source and close miked 57, the Edirol source will add a little "ambience" to the tracks.

Mark

Thanks man, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm thinking that I could mix the Redwirez IR's to come up with something similar ( ala - Scott Peterson's recipe ) ....?

Deltones said:
I posted the following on another forum about one of the preset Mark used to record BATM. Might interest some of you too.

Man... I downloaded the last preset file you put here (the first one didn't give me any sound) and I'm always amazed by how fizzy a patch can sound just by itself. It also happened with other presets on the AFX forum where I was blown away by the mixed clip, and when I downloaded the preset, said to myself: "There must be some mistake". Pretty impressive what a mixed clip can do.

I adjusted my global eq like yours Mark. I did a very, very short try of your patch, just one guitar by itself. Here's the result .

O.K., that was surprising :?: Any idea why it's so dark :?:

R.D. said:
Deltones said:

Honestly, I don't have any idea. My guitar is equiped with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bride and a Jazz in the neck, on an alder body guitar. It's not a dark guitar at all. If you find the clip I posted above surprising, you should have heard the sound before I adjusted the global EQ to mirror Mark's settings.

Deltones said:
R.D. said:
Deltones said:

Honestly, I don't have any idea. My guitar is equiped with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bride and a Jazz in the neck, on an alder body guitar. It's not a dark guitar at all. If you find the clip I posted above surprising, you should have heard the sound before I adjusted the global EQ to mirror Mark's settings.

Just to say...I also downloaded the Mark Day patch...it sounded HORRIBLE!!! NOTHING like his tone from his vids at all! And i was like, 'what the f*£K???'...it was fizzy, muddy and VERY bottom heavy. Totally unusable.

Wonder why that happens :x I have a Schecter with Blackouts the same as him so it can't be the pickups! :?

Deltafit said:
Just to say...I also downloaded the Mark Day patch...it sounded HORRIBLE!!! NOTHING like his tone from his vids at all! And i was like, 'what the f*£K???'...it was fizzy, muddy and VERY bottom heavy. Totally unusable.

Wonder why that happens :x I have a Schecter with Blackouts the same as him so it can't be the pickups! :?

Geez guys, I feel bad :oops:

It doesn't sound that horrible on my system, not sure what's going on????

Is your poweramp and cab sims ON in the Global settings???

I do put a hi/lo pass filter on on the strip in ProTools like I've mentioned before. Somewhere around 120hz and 6or7k...I'll have to check the exact settings.

I built a preset based on the BATM preset and left the PT's strip flat... I'll post a clip tomorrow.

Mark

samhill said:
Deltafit said:

Geez guys, I feel bad :oops:

It doesn't sound that horrible on my system, not sure what's going on????

Is your poweramp and cab sims ON in the Global settings???

I do put a hi/lo pass filter on on the strip in ProTools like I've mentioned before. Somewhere around 120hz and 6or7k...I'll have to check the exact settings.

I built a preset based on the BATM preset and left the PT's strip flat... I'll post a clip tomorrow.

Mark

Hi Mark! No need to feel bad lol. I checked Global settings and yeah, everythings on so i'm totally confused how it sounds so different to your excellent vids! ;)

I'm still relatively new to the AxeFx so chances are its me! :oops:

I've downloaded the BATM patch you uploaded but not yet had time to check it out so i'll post my results when i do. BTW i'm only running FRFR via OUT1 through my PC going into my home Sony stereo system. Not using any poweramps or cabs.

RAWK! ! ! ! !

34i1y8p.jpg

Really great job!
heabangingozzy7sl.gif

I posted this in a separate thread with a preset attachment here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10509&p=100795#p100795

Ok some folks are having trouble with my presets. Here are some clips.
This clip is BATM done direct with the preset below...no PT's plugins..just the AxeFx, 1 stereo track, no doubling.
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?s ... value=4771

Here is the same preset recorded alone first with the Suhr Modern and no SPC control, then with the SPC then a Gibson LP with stock pickups. I had to really fight to keep the LP from getting too flubby.

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?s ... value=4772

Here is the preset, you can use the Global EQ's flat on OUT 1 and OUT 2. I took out the midi controllers and also removed the 2nd noise gate so Standard owners can try it without issues.
If you get a chance to try it post back the results whether they are positive or negative. as you can hear from the clips I tend to use more gain than most folks...sorry about that.
I had the delay in the preset bypassed for the dry clips and for the rhythm parts in BATM, I engaged the delay for both solos.

Mark

Attachments

• Mark\'s BATM no 2nd Gate.syx.zip
    729 bytes · Views: 62
Awesome playing Mark as usual.

Thanks for the patch, it's way better than my CA3+ LD patch

Finally got round to trying out and recording some quick examples of Mark Day's BATM patches he posted.

Here are where the files are just right click on the file then download:

http://www.fileden.com/browser.php?

He posted 2 that i know of so i've labelled them 1 and 2 respectively. I am using a Schecter Blackjack with Duncan Blackouts AHB-1's. I'm coming out of OUT2 into a Fostex FD4( :lol: ) then into my PC soundcard and recording with Adobe Audition 2.

Hope this works, i'm new to all this stuff ;)

Also posted my own rythmn distortion sound so check that out while your there! :D

Deltafit said:
Finally got round to trying out and recording some quick examples of Mark Day's BATM patches he posted.

He posted 2 that i know of so i've labelled them 1 and 2 respectively. I am using a Schecter Blackjack with Duncan Blackouts AHB-1's. I'm coming out of OUT2 into a Fostex FD4( :lol: ) then into my PC soundcard and recording with Adobe Audition 2.

Also posted my own rythmn distortion sound so check that out while your there! :D

Link brings me to an url where I have to login or register??

Mark

samhill said:
Deltafit said:

Mark

Sorry, my fault. Hopefully these should work:

Mark Day BATM 1.mp3

Mark Day BATM 2.mp3

And here's my own patch:

AxeFx Rythmn Patch.mp3

Lemme know if it works ;)

Deltafit said:
samhill said:
Deltafit said:

Mark

Sorry, my fault. Hopefully these should work:

Mark Day BATM 1.mp3

Mark Day BATM 2.mp3

And here's my own patch:

AxeFx Rythmn Patch.mp3

Lemme know if it works ;)

Cool, I've listened to all 3. Sounds about right. Your patch sounds somewhat similar, but seems more center panned, perhaps more mids...very nice. Your patch is more suiting for you. I would like to check out that preset...very nice dude!

Mark

Mark,
I could use some help here, if you can. I downloaded your patch and recorded a sample. Notice how muddy it is. I included some bar chords and single notes to emophasize the muddines. I don't think it's your patch at all. I am having this problem with all of my patches.

Any ideas on what the problem is? It's driving me crazy!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8236474

Warrior said:
Mark,
I could use some help here, if you can. I downloaded your patch and recorded a sample. Notice how muddy it is. I included some bar chords and single notes to emophasize the muddines. I don't think it's your patch at all. I am having this problem with all of my patches.

Any ideas on what the problem is? It's driving me crazy!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8236474

Have you checked your global settings re: EQ, Cab and amp sims ON?

That is definitely NOT what it should sound like.

Mark

I'll chime in again here. Mark, i just downloaded your new Panama patches and once again theres something completely wrong with it. :evil:

Basically sounds like the above clip where the bass MASSIVELY overpowers everything else and everything is just 'not there' and theres about 10 thick blankets over the speakers. It just seems like somewhere along the line something is really screwing things up with the upload/download off the 'quality' of your great patches. I've checked everything regarding the global eq's, cab and amp sims and they're all on/fine. I've downloaded a few of the other guys patches and they seem to work great, although they are not as high gain as yours.

This is really strange!

Deltafit said:
I'll chime in again here. Mark, i just downloaded your new Panama patches and once again theres something completely wrong with it. :evil:

Basically sounds like the above clip where the bass MASSIVELY overpowers everything else and everything is just 'not there' and theres about 10 thick blankets over the speakers. It just seems like somewhere along the line something is really screwing things up with the upload/download off the 'quality' of your great patches. I've checked everything regarding the global eq's, cab and amp sims and they're all on/fine. I've downloaded a few of the other guys patches and they seem to work great, although they are not as high gain as yours.

This is really strange!

bizarre.

I'll email Cliff and see what's up?

You guys are running these patches direct through OUT 1 low imp..correct?

Mark

Back
Top Bottom