Baritone strings and feedback from AF3 in Drop-C

Conley Shepherd

Experienced
I am having a really hard time trying to get my top string to feedback and get pinched harmonics to get the feedback going. I have an LTD EC-1000T with active pickups. I can get the other 5 strings to feedback on a single held note.

I use the baritone type string set made especially for Drop C. It is basically a extra heavy gauge set that is a custom DROP-C match of strings.

D'Addario NYXL1260 Extra Heavy Nickel Wound Electric Strings - .012-.060

I have several patches that are super crunchy and loud. The top string is needed to feedback for an opening of the first song of the opening set. That string will not feedback.

getting really frustrated here.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

maybe the pickup isn't getting that string signal like the others, or maybe that string is being muted by bad setup.

the guitar was professionally setup and plays like a hot knife through butter. It sounds amazing. just can't get the top string to vibrate :(

I appreciate the replies guys.

The old school technique is to change the physical distance between the speaker and the guitar. Move until you find it.

The old school technique is to change the physical distance between the speaker and the guitar. Move until you find it.
For the very low notes he is talking about this might not be practical. I'm assuming by "top" string he means the low E (or C, or whatever) string. If it's a baritone set then the wavelengths are on the order of tens of feet. If the waveform from the speaker is out of phase then this would require moving 10 feet or more to get in phase.

yes, it is the low E(C) string and the phase change didn't work. I have an e-bow I will use to get the effect I need until I can make this work somehow. Need to take this into the garage and get some space between the guitar and speaker to see if that makes a difference of not. Have to have something for Saturday night because that is when I will be using it with the new band... It is the opening effect for the entire set.

one way round it would be to set up a synth block in a parallel row feeding signal into the amp. set tracking to off and use the frequency parameter to set the pitch of the feedback you'd like to get. you can then hit your low note and then gradually raise the level of the synth with an expression pedal, or use a switch with a slow attack. if your guitar sound doesn't have a lot of mids, or you have a lot of gate, or you just happen to be standing in the wrong place, then you may not be able to get natural feedback. try a couple of different waveforms for the synth...sawtooth might be my first guess. use the filter in the synth block to take off some of the high end.

Thank you for the suggestion guys, I will give them a go.

All notes so far. That .060 is hard to get a pinch harmonic on too!
Just for giggles, I threw together a quick proof-of concept modification of an existing @Burgs (thanks as always for the best templates around!) goodie
and tried to follow @simeon 's instructions and messed with adding drive and tremolo as well, the Synth
Level and Pan Trem Rate are BOTH controlled by FC1 Pedal 3, so you must change to what controller you wish to use and I guarantee tweaking and tuning will be needed, but it seems to work OK, the synths on scenes 4-8 have the synth notes noted in the 4 scene names, and 1-4 are for you to work out..

Attachments

• BurgsCarolAnnsSimeonsFBsynth.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I tried out the patch, pretty cool. I don't have time to fit it in to the show, but will work with it. I appreciate the effort to have me try that as a workaround!

Back
Top Bottom