Baritone Crunchies - Recto 1 Red, Brit 800 and ML Zilla cabs. Presets included.

shaunb

Experienced

I was hoping to post a new song tomorrow that just needs the bass track re-recorded and a final mix but I ripped my index finger open at work today, so I thought I'd post this quick tone test that I did a couple of days ago.

I'm testing a few amp combination for various tones and styles for my new Fender Baritone Jag Special HH which I'm totally obsessed with. I picked up my PRS for the first time in a week and it feels tiny now.

This is a heavier rock/metal tone using the Recto 1 Red and Brit 800 amps, I find the Brit 800 pairs well with most amps and is making the final mix a lot at the moment. These two work well together I think.

IRs used are Flattest and All Mix from the ML Sound Lab Bulb Zilla cab pack.
These are my two favourites at the moment.

The tuning is Drop A.
This is a quick test and the recording is a little rough. I'll probably write a full song out of this Idea and record it properly.

I'll post the other song I'm writing when the finger heals a bit. It's also baritone in Drop A but more of a post rock vibe using a Plexi, the 800 makes a guest appearance at the end of that one too.

Attachments

• Recto1 Zilla SB.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Brit800 Zilla SB.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
So nice to hear someone with a low tuning that doesn't have Djent thrownup all over it!!! Great tone!

Thanks.
I don't mind listening to djent but it's not my thing as a player, I just don't think that way musically.
There are plenty of great djent players on the forum, so I'll leave the that stuff to the guys and gals that play it well.

I love the low tuning for heavy groove rock and also some more atmospheric pieces. So I'm just doing my thing and mixing things up a bit.

Guitar sounds great but I am really digging that bass tone....
Thanks.

The bass is actually an adjusted version of a preset posted by SeeD on one of his youtube videos, I dialed the amp in differently to suit my bass, switched out the cabs and ended up with a tone I'm really happy with. He did some cool stuff with a multi compression block which works really well. The amp is the Citrus Bass 200.

I've uploaded the basic preset, but there's a new element I've added since that version which will be revealed soon.

I add compression and a distortion plugin in post called DaTube so I can adjust the amount of dirt depending on the mix.
It warms and opens up the bass tone nicely in the mix without a heap of low end.

Attachments

• O BASS G&L.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Nice work Shaun. Low and heavy yet a sophistication to the tone I really like.
Cheers.
I'm really enjoying playing low, it opens up new ways of writing and I feel like I'm more adventurous in what I'm doing. The heavy tones on a not so aggressive song is something I really love doing.

Just a little update.
The new element in the bass tone I mentioned is a new bass cab pack from from ML.
I'm sure Mikko with give you guys the details soon.

Just out of curiosity, Since I don't own this cab pack, what speakers are in the cab models you dialed these in for?
just trying to find something comparable to the speaker choice you had while creating these.

Just out of curiosity, Since I don't own this cab pack, what speakers are in the cab models you dialed these in for?
just trying to find something comparable to the speaker choice you had while creating these.

I'm dialling in my tones with a Zilla IR called Flattest. It's just really well balanced as the name would suggest and sounds killer.

This one and All Mix are the two IRs I use on just about everything now. They are both blends of multiple speaker and mic combinations that Mikko put to utilise the characteristics the work best in each speaker/mic in the pack.

Flattest is made up of three or four different speaker choices I believe, I don't actually know what speakers he blended to get that IR but he managed to build my ultimate IR combining 4 different ones that came together really well.
All Mix I would imagine is a blend using all speaker varieties, I don't know the breakdowns within the blend, I just know I really like it.

So these mixes are pretty unique, they don't sound like anything I've used before.

I believe Creamback H, Alnicos and Greenbacks play a significant part in my favourite IRs if that helps. These speakers paired with Paul's cab construction make for great tones. I really want a real one now.

It's really nice to have such a range and less reliance on V30, which are great by the way but I enjoy mixing it up.

Back
Top Bottom