Barenaked Ladies Share Colorful Animated Music Video for ‘Flip’

Toopy14

Axe-Master
For those of you that don't know the story of how the Barenaked Ladies were discovered...here it is. :)

Outside the CityTV/Much Music building on Queen Street East, in downtown Toronto, they used to have this thing called 'Speakers Corner'. It was a video booth, that you could go into and record a video of whatever was on your mind. They would then air the videos (at least, those that they could air on T.V.) on Much Music (the Canadian version of MTV...back when they played music videos). Lots of famous people recorded videos in the booth, over the years. One day, these guys, unkown at the time, from Scarborough (a suburb east of Toronto...same place Mike Myers is from), decided to cram into the booth and record a video (first 25 seconds)!

This is there new single...minus one original member, who left the band several years ago.

Last edited:
Cool! For a couple of years in the late 80's I used to walk by the "Speakers Corner" every Saturday as I made my way to Steve's Music on Queen St. after coming down from Scarborough.

I think my friend and I babbled something idiotic in the booth once...

Last edited:
Lot of great memories hanging out around Queen and John in the 90s. I can’t type that intersection without hearing Mark Dailies’ voice in my head.

Cool! For a couple of years in the late 80's I used to walk by the "Speakers Corner" every Saturday as I made my way to Steve's Music on Queen St. after coming down from Scarborough.

I think my friend and I babbled something idiotic in the booth once...

I was at Steve's with a friend who bought an acoustic, back in 1989. I remember the year because it was the weekend just after the Oakland earthquake.

No doubt drinking? :)

Lot of great memories hanging out around Queen and John in the 90s. I can’t type that intersection without hearing Mark Dailies’ voice in my head.
The voice of god! He was great. Same with the sport guy, John Gallagher, he was one hyper dude.

All the veejays on Much were pretty cool. Except for the one guy, with the scarf. I was in a line at a bar in Burlington and he walked up to the front of the line to talk to the bouncers, thinking he was some kind of celebrity...denied! It was funny!

Remember J.D. Roberts, on Toronto Rocks?

1618427464327.png

BNL's really hit it big in the college scene in MA. Lots of great bands from the GTA, The Spoons, Kim Mitchell (Max. Webster), Chalk Circle, Platinum Blonde...to name a few. Have to add The Box, with Sass Jordan, from Montreal. Great 'New Wave' band. Saw them a few summers ago, still sound great, same with Platinum Blonde.

Last edited:
All The Time, All The Time, All The Time... is end-to-end an amazing album that still holds up.
Couldn’t agree more! Fantastic album on so many levels. Probably my favourite song...Must I Always Remember.

They played at a venue downtown where I live...I think it was in the 90’s. At intermission, they had to cut through the audience to get to their dressing rooms. When Jean-Marc Pisapia, the lead singer, walked by, I put my arm around him (I was drinking of course) and told him how much I loved their music, his singing voice, the band. He was so cool, didn’t get upset or nothing. He stayed and talked with for a few minutes and then thanked me for the compliments. Such a cool moment.

When they played a few summers ago, they played the Safety Dance by Men Without Hats (another cool Montreal band). Then he mentioned that he got his start with them as a keyboard player. I had no idea!

Check out his bio....his name is on so many songs, jingles, etc.

We did an ice breaker question in my org this week and it was "What game show would you want to be a contestant on" -- I picked Test Pattern. :)
What was your pick for talk show, Ed The Sock? CityTV was so ahead of its time!

I was at Steve's with a friend who bought an acoustic, back in 1989. I remember the year because it was the weekend just after the Oakland earthquake.

No doubt drinking? :)

I remember a ball game playing live in the background on TV when that earthquake struck and the announcers going 'off script' as it raged...

Nah, no drinking, we just came by our idiocy normally lol...:tonguewink:

Back
Top Bottom