Bare Knuckle pups

KyleUMF

Inspired
I want to replace my bridge pickup on my ESP 7 string, thinking about going with the painkiller pup... Have heard nothing but great things, anyone have any thoughts?

I play predominately heavy drop A music with this guitar

I want to replace my bridge pickup on my ESP 7 string, thinking about going with the painkiller pup... Have heard nothing but great things, anyone have any thoughts?

I play predominately heavy drop A music with this guitar

Well no one responded haha ordered it up today anyways ;)

I bought a Music Man JP6 with Painkillers in it and I was hoping they'd blow my mind but they didn't. I actually sold them and got DiMarzio Petrucci pickups and they made me a lot happier. Remember that these are always taste issues. Don't buy BKP's because of hype. Many people try them out but end up going back to DiMarzio when the honey moon phase is over. If you have a chance to try them out then A/B them.

unfortunately i dont know anyone with em.... I have EMG's now and have pretty much always have played EMG's, but witht he 7string im looking for something a little bit different. New to the axe-fx as well, kinda wanted to switch it up a bit.

I've heard people say that some BKPs are like passive EMGs. They might be the thing for you. Personally I don't like EMGs at all so you shouldn't trust my opinion at all. :D

hahahaah yeah, your opinion sucks! haha kidding of course! just have different preferences but i appreciate your input!

i have heard they completely rock!! BK seem to have built up abit of a cult following! i'm getting a custom wound nail bomb into a guitar i'm having built, cant wait to try the humbucker!! :D

Have heard they're great, but the majority of comments I hear are from people into the "heavier" sounds than me. I like heavy music, but I'm not into the more modern crazy tight ultra high gain type of sounds a lot of the BKP fans seem to be into. So far it's various Dimarzios in my main guitars, and I'm inclined to stick with them.

Pickups are indeed a bit of a hard thing to judge without actually forking over the money and putting them in your guitar to find out first hand. :(

I had BKP singlecoils in some of my strats. Didn't do anything for me after some time. Changed them to Suhrs and it was a whole different ballgame...

I have a set of Painkillers in my Ibanez Rg520, which is a mahogany bodied guitar. I absolutely hated them when I first got the guitar back. So much so, that I played the guitar for about 10 minutes then put the guitar back in it's case for about 5 months. haha I decided to give them another chance later on. When doing so, I noticed that the pickup height was rather high, so I lowered it. Long story short, I have never heard a pickup with so much clarity and balls in all my life. It is my most favorite humbucker on the face of the earth. Can't say enough good things about that pickup. :D

yea i'll say BKP are very effected by height. I have a Warpig and an Aftermath and the height changes them into almost completely different animals. Also if you like the EMG vibe sort of the Aftermath is supposed to be the passive answer to the EMG. I have an aftermath and i think it sounds pretty amazing but ive never played EMGs so i cant say.

Awesome! This was what I was hoping to hear when I first posted this, luckily I pretty much only play "heavy as balls" music on this guitar for my band, so I'm very excited to test it out! Thanks for everyones input!

you can just go on their forum, the people over there are really nice and love helping people out who are interested in joining the BKP club lol

I have a pair of BK the Mule in my Sheraton which I am very pleased with, very clear and nice full tone. I don't play that much (well, any...) high gain though so for that I wouldn't know....

Jens

Back
Top Bottom