Bare Knuckle Pickups

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
Can someone recommend what BKP's I should get? They will be put in an Ibanez style guitar with a Edge trem and dual humbuckers. I'm interested in something that can do prog, classic rock, shred and even metal. Good cleans would a plus also.
So far I like what I hear in the War Pigs, Juggernaut and Rebel Yells but which is the most versatile?

The Rebel Yells or Cold Sweats are excellent. The Cold Sweats are a little hotter and the Rebel Yells are like the best sounding Seymour Duncan JB you have ever heard. I use the Cold Sweats in both my main guitars. Used the Rebel Yell prior and decided I wanted a tad hotter.

I play in a top 40 cover band and play it all from rock to pop to country.

+1 for RYs. Juggs would be a more modern take IMO, maybe better for the prog side depending on what you're going for

I love BKP's and they're competitively priced, against other hand made pickup winders. Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio have been going longer and have larger resources to undercut the boutique manufacturers. Having said that, I do find the modern voiced pickups to be honking in the midrange with my PRS's. YMMV. Excellent quality without a doubt and their finish options are great too.

I have an Alnico Nailbomb in an alder/maple topped Steinberger that I love... If my understanding is correct, it's voice is similar to the Rebel Yell, but hotter output wise with more bottom. It's fairly versatile, but I'm not after the super tight modern type tones though. I was recommended the Holy Diver for a basswood bodied guitar with either matching neck pickup or an Emerald. BK's are pretty well known for their clarity all around, and I really liked the models I've tried (Holy Diver, A Bomb, C Bomb, Trilogy Suite neck, Irish Tour neck, and Slowhand neck & middle). Email their support, tell them about the guitar you'll be putting them in and what you're looking for tone wise, and they'll likely respond with some suggestions.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have/tried many Dimarzio and a few Duncan, but I don't hear as much note separation and clarity as I hear with the demos of Bk which I really like. Are there other manufacturers that have as much definition and clarity?

Bulldog Pickups. Ex BKP employee. All wound custom to your specs and excellent quality. Reasonably priced too. Just email them and tell them the sound that you're after etc.

Bulldog Pickups

Give Nick at The Axe Palace a call or email. World class guitars, amps, pickups, gear, and tech services - The Axe Palace He is a US Dealer for BKP and Ibanez so maybe he could be helpful? I recently bought a set of Nailbombs (ceramic in bridge) and he helped me alot on the decision. I personally listened to a PRS that he installed Emeralds in and they sounded amazing. He had dropped to a B Tuning (6 string) and they still had clarity. I would be careful buying anything that is too hot or focused if you are trying to use it for various styles. Next set I get would either be a set of Emeralds or Black Dogs.

I really like the look of Bareknuckles. The Holydivers I had in my PRS were just snazzy as all get up. They were a little high fidelity for me and very high output. But I enjoyed them and especially their look:

FWIW I'm enjoying the custom winds I got from John Moore more than the BKPs, even if they don't look quite as nice as the BKPs. They were also an incredibly good deal. Under $200, shipped to me in the USA, for basically wound-to-spec pickups. I don't think you can beat that anywere. Check him out at: http://www.tonefordays.com/

I have the Rebel Yells and like them, but they are hotter than the pickups Steve had in his PRS. I know this because I now own that guitar.

745b5b60-f84a-4997-a484-0f266380821e_zps26007a81.jpg

Even got to keep the raygun.

Everyone pack up.

Luke just won the internet.

Here's a few more I got from him:

49acc728.jpg

e5798ea2.jpg

Both of which came with Duncans. The white one is fully scalloped and the green one glows in the dark and has green LED inlays that light up when its plugged in.

Wolftone pups are definitely worth a stop on this trail......I have the Legends and lov'em to pieces. Wolfe's customer service is in the same league as Fractal's. Rewind Electric too....check out the Creme Brule's.

Back
Top Bottom