Bare knuckle or Suhr pickups for my Mayones Regius 7?

harmaes

Inspired
I just got a Mayones Regius 7 with Cold Sweat pickups and for me these are too bright to suit the swamp ash, pistachio top and ebony fretboard which has a lot of top-end by itself.
I've modded the volume pot to be around 333k which improves the resonance frequency and top end but overall I still find the Cold Sweat to have the wrong response for this guitar (mid scooped and trebly top end) which is hard to really dial out.

I'm considering BKP Juggernauts or Nailbombs but I'm also interested in the Suhr Hot 7 pickups because I normally favor any alnico magnets over ceramics.

What are you currently using in your Regius 7 or Swamp Ash 7 strings and what pickups would you recommend? It's hard to find good info on the Suhr Hot 7 pickups (DA like but hotter), I also read somewhere these are even brighter than the cold sweats?

Cheers!

I have BKP Juggernauts in my .strandberg 7 (swamp ash body) and I find them to be hollow sounding (if that makes any sense).
I also have BKP Juggs (6 string version) in an alder ESP and they sound amazing there.. Really not sure why, but they are underwhelming in my .strandberg. The tone is great, but you really have to crank the gain to get a nice hot sound out of them.

It could be because the .strandberg is very chambered whereas my ESP is solid, this is the only explanation I can come up with.

Hope my information helps you!

The Juggs are designed for alder body guitars and I liked their sound in the Jackson HT7 guitar. The Regius is a better guitar overall then the Jackson but the search for pickups is tough and also trial and error.

Not sure why it sounds hollow in your Strandberg, do you mean mid scooped maybe?

I did notice that the Cold Sweat pickups also dont have as much output as other comparable pickups. The Juggs should be quite similar output wise.
I'm interested to try the Suhr Hot 7 being that they're hotter and warmer afaikt

Back
Top Bottom