Banned from TGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking that I was on TGP back during 2001 or before. So my dates in my earlier post could be skewed some. I can remember having some heated discussions about 9/11. It had just happened. It’s incredible the topics we could talk about then. Admittedly some of it not really the appropriate place, but it was on everyone’s mind and people were very emotional in all sorts of directions. God, now you would be swatted from here to the moon the second one bit of some of the stuff was uttered.

Basically I bought my first PRS in early 2001. I was joining different forums to find out info about higher end guitars since I finally was making some money after 20 years of playing. So that’s when I got hooked up.

Definitely not limited to music or gear forums. It doesn't matter the type of forum...woodworking, cars, guns, off-roading, you name it...they all can have their share of power mad, fascistic, failure to launch types.
Agree!

I was just thinking that I was on TGP back during 2001 or before. So my dates in my earlier post could be skewed some. I can remember having some heated discussions about 9/11. It had just happened. It’s incredible the topics we could talk about then. Admittedly some of it not really the appropriate place, but it was on everyone’s mind and people were very emotional in all sorts of directions. God, now you would be swatted from here to the moon the second one bit of some of the stuff was uttered.

Basically I bought my first PRS in early 2001. I was joining different forums to find out info about higher end guitars since I finally was making some money after 20 years of playing. So that’s when I got hooked up.

I joined the PRS forum in around 1999 or so, which eventually shut down and Brian and Scott got together to form TGP. I wasn't involved with the new forum then as most of my time was spent on the Les Paul forum (I was a moderator there at the time, and during the 9/11 attacks). I finally registered there in around 2009, and it was still a pretty cool place where people were friendly and respectful. I really enjoyed hanging there back then.

I joined the PRS forum in around 1999 or so, which eventually shut down and Brian and Scott got together to form TGP. I wasn't involved with the new forum then as most of my time was spent on the Les Paul forum (I was a moderator there at the time, and during the 9/11 attacks). I finally registered there in around 2009, and it was still a pretty cool place where people were friendly and respectful. I really enjoyed hanging there back then.
That’s right! I knew Scott and Brian had something to do with it’s incarnation. It all coming back now. My 57 year old memory has gotten a bit Swiss cheesy as of late. The last 20 years is a huge blur…and I wasn’t even doing the “better living through chemistry” thing the whole time. I suppose I burned through some critical areas previously.🤫

Thanks for the refresher. I do remember getting on the PRS forum just in time for it to disappear.

Edit:
As I sit here I am remembering so much more and probably why I was so put off when I got back on in ~2017. Yeah it was a cool community and most the time is was on topic and on an even keel. If someone might have said something that got another a bit bent out of shape they quickly discussed it, apologized and moved on. Wow.

Last edited:
I've been called troll and liar at TGP for saying that I had a dead note in a Suhr and I had to sell it because it was not possible to solve the problem. It seems like you have to be very sensitive when mentioning certain brands 😂

That thread has been deleted. I didn't started it, it was from someone else that also had a dead note issue with a Suhr, and he received a lot of bashing for that. I don't know if the thread has been banned or if it was the OP author who killed it himself. Anyway, after that I decided to start this thread with a checklist to troubleshoot dead notes:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...e-is-the-ultimate-check-list-template.2383374

Last edited:
I've been called troll and liar at TGP for saying that I had a dead note in a Suhr and I had to sell it because it was not possible to solve the problem. It seems like you have to be very sensitive when mentioning certain brands 😂

That thread has been deleted. I didn't started it, it was from someone else that also had a dead note issue with a Suhr, and he received a lot of bashing for that. I don't know if the thread has been banned or if it was the OP author who killed it himself. Anyway, after that I decided to start this thread about dead notes:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...e-is-the-ultimate-check-list-template.2383374
I had that same problem with my Suhr Build, I was able to get John to rebuild my guitar and he swapped a few things the next time around and the build was fantastic! It ended up being the woods with the other materials resonating that caused it in my case, and could not be fixed by doing the usual tricks.

OK we can add cognitive dissonance to the list. If you’re going to make an accusation then support it
I made ta couple of comments based on my participation and observations in many of the idiotic threads over the years on both forums that I am not particularly proud of to be honest. Accusation? Nope. Cognitive dissonance? Yeah, okay. lol

You can simply pull up hundreds of threads both here and on TGP where the animosity gets beyond childish. You don't have to look far. Heck, you can pull up hundreds of posts on TGP where you would think the poster needed intense therapy after describing their visit to the FAS forum and how they were abused by all the fan boys and bullies. It's laughable. Search out Kemper vs. AxeFx threads on both sites for some real mature content. Heck, look at this thread alone. All kinds of speculation and conjecture on how a moderator did his job when I seriously doubt anyone here knows what he did or didn't do in the first place. I stand by my comments.

Last edited:
I made ta couple of comments based on my participation and observations in many of the idiotic threads over the years on both forums that I am not particularly proud of to be honest. Accusation? Nope. Cognitive dissonance? Yeah, okay. lol

You can simply pull up hundreds of threads both here and on TGP where the animosity gets beyond childish. You don't have to look far. Heck, you can pull up hundreds of posts on TGP where you would think the poster needed intense therapy after describing their visit to the FAS forum and how they were abused by all the fan boys and bullies. It's laughable. Search out Kemper vs. AxeFx threads on both sites for some real mature content. Heck, look at this thread alone. All kinds of speculation and conjecture on how a moderator did his job when I seriously doubt anyone here knows what he did or didn't do in the first place. I stand by my comments.
Well I tend not to get into “what aboutisms”. I have had a few issues here that IMO were unfair, but I got over it. What was specifically being discussed at the time you came in with a pretty inflammatory comment was the corporatization of multiple forums into one entity and how it totally corrupts the process. Also this forum is about one company and is bound to be weighted that way. It should be excepted. However there are many here who have or had other brands and are fair. I can’t speak on years ago because I just joined here a year and a half ago. I really don’t see a lot of bias against other product brands. As I said this is the “Fractal” forum.

I see where you’re coming from and will not deny immaturity and bias happens all the time on forums it just seems to be the rule at TGP instead of the exception.

though my sarcasm detector is on the fritz, I believe my bias detector still works ok - I can't quite fathom why so many these days are so concerned about the bias and / or, are unable to separate it out - it's obvious (or should be imo), so just discount / ignore the biased parts, and use the remainder as useful info - no need to become invested everywhere, just learn to quickly extract useful facts
from TGP or whereever folks migjt be sharing info along with their biases.

And just to pile on here with a few more distinctions that make a difference. Cliff/Fractal DO NOT purchase ad space
on TGP---from what I know. Competing products and manufacturers, however, have done so--and I suspect will continue
to do so.

TGP is not this grassroots community where everyone is on equal footing, and the rules are applied equally to all. It is nothing
like what it started out to be. It is now a multi-million dollar a year revenue generating machine. Period.

I can't recall ever seeing an advertisement for a FAS product. I've seen press releases from gear sites / magazines, but those aren't adverts.

Wow, a grown man on a forum, whining about grown men whining on a forum, about another forum.

Ok, your turn...
Oh the irony is not lost on me, that's for sure. I get it!

I honestly didn't expect any responses to my simple little tongue in cheek comment. Maybe those numbskulls over at TGP talking about how sensitive the FAS forum members psyche is are on to something after all. :)

Reactions: BBN
Oh the irony is not lost on me, that's for sure. I get it!

I honestly didn't expect any responses to my simple little tongue in cheek comment. Maybe those numbskulls over at TGP talking about how sensitive the FAS forum members psyche is are on to something after all. :)
See this is a perfect example of what I’m talking about. First let me just say we have had some back and forth and I honesty don’t have any grudge against you. As you said I don’t know you personally and don’t know “your story” as they say.

OK, IMO your comment was far from “tongue in cheek” especially without any indication of such. Let’s say that was your sole intention and give the benefit of the doubt. From here on is my POV in a general way to what I see all the time. One of my pet peeves is when someone knowingly says or does something that is or should be obvious in a civil world to be provocative and inflammatory and then turns around and minimizes their part and maximizes the others. This is rampant in the social media world. Well it’s rampant among human beings in general. The main thing is in the “real” world I grew up it was a good way to get your clock rung if you weren’t careful. The proper term for this behavior is “passive aggressiveness”. These one time “clocking ringing” behavioral disorders go far beyond passive aggressiveness. Other examples are “oppositional defiance disorder” all the way to full blown narcissism and sociopathy. The fact we sit in anonymity it is more often those who have grown up with this form of communication who have no clue how to conduct themselves. Just to add, there have always been people who are behaviorally impaired, but it just seems overwhelming these days.

I’ll say it again, the discussion turned to a serious (factual) matter to many today and to come in with a “tongue in cheek” comment is just very bad timing. I wouldn’t do that unless I was certain all parties know my sense of humor or unless I was intending to escalate in a negative way. The main thing I see is that so many moderators seem to be unable to judge theses interactions properly and really deal out justice in a correct fashion. Usually the one that did not start the problem, but ends it gets the suspension. There’s all sorts of reasons, but when there is obvious favoritism or plain corruption involved it leads to a major breakdown in overall general civility. There are many reasons this is commonplace in our institutions today and I could go on, but I’m sure no one wants to read paragraphs of my opinion on the breakdown of society.

And finally when it comes to TGP there’s just too much crud to sift through to find a nugget of wisdom to make it worthwhile. Peace…✌️🙌

See this is a perfect example of what I’m talking about. First let me just say we have had some back and forth and I honesty don’t have any grudge against you. As you said I don’t know you personally and don’t know “your story” as they say.

OK, IMO your comment was far from “tongue in cheek” especially without any indication of such. Let’s say that was your sole intention and give the benefit of the doubt. From here on is my POV in a general way to what I see all the time. One of my pet peeves is when someone knowingly says or does something that is or should be obvious in a civil world to be provocative and inflammatory and then turns around and minimizes their part and maximizes the others. This is rampant in the social media world. Well it’s rampant among human beings in general. The main thing is in the “real” world I grew up it was a good way to get your clock rung if you weren’t careful. The proper term for this behavior is “passive aggressiveness”. These one time “clocking ringing” behavioral disorders go far beyond passive aggressiveness. Other examples are “oppositional defiance disorder” all the way to full blown narcissism and sociopathy. The fact we sit in anonymity it is more often those who have grown up with this form of communication who have no clue how to conduct themselves. Just to add, there have always been people who are behaviorally impaired, but it just seems overwhelming these days.

I’ll say it again, the discussion turned to a serious (factual) matter to many today and to come in with a “tongue in cheek” comment is just very bad timing. I wouldn’t do that unless I was certain all parties know my sense of humor or unless I was intending to escalate in a negative way. The main thing I see is that so many moderators seem to be unable to judge theses interactions properly and really deal out justice in a correct fashion. Usually the one that did not start the problem, but ends it gets the suspension. There’s all sorts of reasons, but when there is obvious favoritism or plain corruption involved it leads to a major breakdown in overall general civility. There are many reasons this is commonplace in our institutions today and I could go on, but I’m sure no one wants to read paragraphs of my opinion on the breakdown of society.

And finally when it comes to TGP there’s just too much crud to sift through to find a nugget of wisdom to make it worthwhile. Peace…✌️🙌

I don't know where to start. I'll be brief. I made a silly comment on the absurdity of grown men whining about others on a different site. It was tongue and cheek and there was nothing passive aggressive about it. If you found it provocative and inflammatory then I would suggest thicker skin. After all, it was you who jumped right in to admonish me and question my thought process not knowing anything about me or my history here or on TGP or of the people involved. And now my comment is somehow indicative of the breakdown of society? 🤦‍♀️

I wish you the best. Have a great evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom